Iron Man 3

I.M.J.

Lance Quazar said:
Though the hiring of Black is a masterstroke and the line we've heard from him about making "Iron Man 3" a kind of "Tom Clancy" style thriller is very intriguing, I just wonder how we'll be able to accept a scaled down "Iron Man" story after the expansive silliness of "The Avengers."

Once we know that Tony Stark lives in a universe of hulks and gods and all kinds of goofy comic-book elements, is it even possible to put the genie back in the bottle, so to speak?

I fear it might like following the cinematic "Superman 2", where Superman and Kryptonian baddies are chucking busses at each other in Times Square with George Reeves-style stories where he's confronting two-bit thugs who throw their revolvers at him after running out of bullets.

But, really, I hope that once the Avengers film is out and the massive Marvel franchise is secure, the Marvel suits will back off and just let Shane tell a great story on its own terms, without forcing his hand like they did with Favreau and IM2.

This is the strangest analysis of this that I've seen in a long time, man! They won't have to put the genie back in the bottle. Just advance the story from where the Universe is at that point. It's completely less complicated than you've framed it here.

And the Superman 2 comparison? Huh? That movie is widely heralded as one of the best comic book movies ever made, even amdist the current flood of comic book films!

I will say though that I agree with your sentiments about the Marvel suits, Shane Black and Iron Man 2. Iron Man 2 suffered incredibly because of a weak story and use of a relatively lame villain who would've been better served as a lacky with a true mastermind manipulating him - i.e., the Mandarin rather than Justin Hammer.

Stoo

Another super-hero movie. How exciting.:rolleyes:

220px-40-Year-OldVirginMoviePoster.jpg

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

kongisking said:
Holy mother of Zod...

So, yeah, it'll get my money because I have a significant other who adores comic book movies, but refuses to ever read the source material. Still, I'm skeptical. Despite their being more of, well, everything in Iron Man Deux it left me cold.

Call me skeptical for the third one too. I'm looking forward to the introduction of The Mandarin to the Marvel filmverse, but the movie will only receive an enthusiastic thumbs up from me if they introduce Doctor Strange. It doesn't have to be anything major, but Stark should at least receive an unwanted consultation from the good doctor on his new, preternatural enemy.

The introduction of the Iron Patriot and/or Detroit Steel armor gets a nod in the movie's favor as well.

Iron_Man3_trailer4-610x259.jpg

I'mBatman

I'm really undecided on this, it looks pretty good, but the action the the trailer doesn't look all that great so far (likely jsut because its a Teaser Trailer), though the trailer does have its moments.
Really looking forward to a Theatrical Trailer, then the action and stuff can really be show cased.

I.M.J.

Le Saboteur said:
So, yeah, it'll get my money because I have a significant other who adores comic book movies, but refuses to ever read the source material. Still, I'm skeptical. Despite their being more of, well, everything in Iron Man Deux it left me cold.

Call me skeptical for the third one too. I'm looking forward to the introduction of The Mandarin to the Marvel filmverse, but the movie will only receive an enthusiastic thumbs up from me if they introduce Doctor Strange. It doesn't have to be anything major, but Stark should at least receive an unwanted consultation from the good doctor on his new, preternatural enemy.

The introduction of the Iron Patriot and/or Detroit Steel armor gets a nod in the movie's favor as well.

Iron_Man3_trailer4-610x259.jpg

I'm somewhat confident that Dr. Strange has a cameo in Thor 2 actually. Rumor is that Vigo Mortenson was considering being cast for it.

Iron Man 2 was a fun movie in moments but as a whole I thought it was a disappointment as well. There were too many liberties taken with the story that were unnecessary. Iron Man 3 looks like the real deal though.

Le Saboteur

I.M.J. said:
Iron Man 3 looks like the real deal though.

This announcement, however, makes Stark Industries suddenly seem very, very pedestrian. Though, you can tell where Disney-Marvel thinks their next audience is going to come from.

If clicking a link is too difficult, here:

The Hollywood Reporter said:
The Iron Man product-placement deal comes fast on the heels of TCL’s eyebrow-raising acquisition of the naming rights to the historic Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Hollywood last week. The Chinese company paid $5 million for the right to rechristen the city landmark the TCL Chinese Theatre.

"TCL has attached great importance to the collaboration with Hollywood," CEO Zhao Zhongyao said in a statement. "Through this cross-industry collaboration, we are looking at introducing our latest smart products to consumers from around the world via a wide range of different brand promotion activities associated with the Iron Man 3 theme."

Repulsor_Beam_UA.jpg

This, on the other hand, is pretty cool. Repulsor Bean technology is still quite a ways off, but this is certainly a step in that direction. Black balloons beware!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oYUCl-xCYaw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith said:
Who needs Navy SEALs when we have Tony Stark?

You, good sir, have the SAS. ;)

Le Saboteur

The Mandarin said:
Some people call me a terrorist. I consider myself a teacher.

I like this aspect of The Mandarin. It's an interesting interpretation of a fairly archetypal character, but I'm curious as to what they're going to do about his Ten Rings.

This is what they're supposed to do based on the lore in the comics, but based on Kevin Fiege's comments I wonder if they're going to do anything at all?

nfXdoNn.png

Kevin Fiege said:
Shane is as much about tone as he is about any specific dialogue that he writes. He brings such a love of cinema and of this character in particular to the movie that I hope will make it feel fresh all over again. None of us wanted to do Fu Man Chu. We weren't interested in that in the least. When we took away the notion of the Fu Man Chu and 'I found rings in a spaceship,' we got much more to 'How do we bring his Ten Rings organization and make it scary the way real-life terrorists can be scary, but also much more theatrical and flamboyant, like how the Mandarin was in the comics?' So we made him very public and had him take credit for his actions, to announce them in a very public way before striking. That's good for a movie, because it makes things very dramatic, and it also brings the Mandarin into the 21st century, where the videos you pass through the 24-hour news cycle is as important as the strike itself.?

Without his Ten Rings, how is Mandarin supposed to square off with Stark? By building/stealing/whatever his own suit? That'd be completely out of character for The Mandarin, and I wonder if a summer movie going audience will abide a villain who's engaging in indirect warfare the entire time.

Time will tell, I suppose. Rumors are that a new trailer will debut during that sporting contest where grown men test their virility while wearing plastic armor.

Le Saboteur

So, RDJ managed to rickroll the entire internet during yesterday's Super Bowl. When he wasn't mugging for the camera, there was some new footage shown.

There still teasing The Manadarin's role. Which I sort of like.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tl-pn7ADx1c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iron-man-3-iron-man-31758009-484-720.jpg

Before I forget, the flick's official site is up and running. Drop in on it here.

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

So, like, did anybody else just notice that somebody else had started an Iron Man 3 thread way back in 2011? Can we get one of the mods to merge the two together?

In the meantime, The Mandarin gets his very own character poster. I'm torn. It's either really, really cool... or not.

mandarinposter2-1.jpeg

The full image from Empire Mag can be viewed below. Dig the detail work on the coat/cloak/robe.

mandarinposter3.jpeg

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
So, like, did anybody else just notice that somebody else had started an Iron Man 3 thread way back in 2011? Can we get one of the mods to merge the two together?

In the meantime, The Mandarin gets his very own character poster. I'm torn. It's either really, really cool... or not.

mandarinposter2-1.jpeg

The full image from Empire Mag can be viewed below. Dig the detail work on the coat/cloak/robe.

mandarinposter3.jpeg

Terrorist as rock star...nice.

Le Saboteur

I'm sold. This final trailer has sealed the deal. I'm even excited for the third outing of ol' Shellhead. The fact that Marvel continues to hint at The Mandarin's abilities and appearance gives it a huge thumbs up.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/97PMaEHeTzA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iron Army & the Hulkbuster!

I.M.J.

All I know is that I'm super excited for this movie, but I sincerely hope that it doesn't drop the ball on Stark's arch nemesis. The rings need to be effective and the Mandarin needs to basically be the Emperor from ROTS.

Vance

Was that... the Hulkbuster Armor? Looks like they're having fun with the suits this time out.