Is the Indiana Jones Franchise dead?

Raiders90

With no new movie seemingly in the works (outside of idle chatter here and there), no new book or comic projects, no new game on the horizon, no TV show, no animated series, nada, I just have to say it feels very bleak to be an IJ fan. I mean even during the wait for KOTCS, you had the YIJC from '92 to '96, the Bantam and other novels throughout the 90s, the comics, the various video games---Even if there wasn't an Indy movie on the big screen, it seems at any point there was at least SOMETHING going on in the world of Dr. Jones. It just seems like the franchise is dead. I mean compare IJ to the Star Wars franchise. That's dead as a movie series but has an animated cartoon series, books coming out often, video games of all sorts, etc etc. It's still very much alive as a franchise. Why can't Indy be given the same level of care or investment?

RateofNate

I must admit, I often feel the same way at times. It's such a shame that Indy is neglected when I feel there could be so much more to do. I'm especially surprised at the failure to invest in a serious video game, seeing as how successful other games in the genre are.

HJTHX1138

Raiders112390 said:
With no new movie seemingly in the works (outside of idle chatter here and there), no new book or comic projects, no new game on the horizon, no TV show, no animated series, nada, I just have to say it feels very bleak to be an IJ fan. I mean even during the wait for KOTCS, you had the YIJC from '92 to '96, the Bantam and other novels throughout the 90s, the comics, the various video games---Even if there wasn't an Indy movie on the big screen, it seems at any point there was at least SOMETHING going on in the world of Dr. Jones. It just seems like the franchise is dead. I mean compare IJ to the Star Wars franchise. That's dead as a movie series but has an animated cartoon series, books coming out often, video games of all sorts, etc etc. It's still very much alive as a franchise. Why can't Indy be given the same level of care or investment?

It also has a ton of rabidly insane fans who are willing to stay monetarily invested in it, and there are always new kids who are going to be intoduced to it.

You have something like Star Wars, that's been drilled into the popular conciousness and beat over everyones head, that's not like Indy's predicament.

I do have to agree, it's been quiet, but Jones hits a different kind of note with people. Star Wars has become a "It's fun for the whole family." type of thing. Lucas can't market it the same way, but they want to, or at least it seemed that way at one point.

I don't think anything deemed a "franchise" can be "dead". Sure, the product slows down or sort of dissapears, but what keeps a franchise alive are fans.

If there weren't any Indy fans, Indy would be considered a dead franchise. No one would suppose anything is "dead" if we weren't discussing it.

I hope that made sense . . . :p

Montana Smith

Lucas won't kill off the Indy franchise while there's still some money in the old dog.

However, Indy might be brought to the verge of death by the inappropriate hand of Lucas. His demise won't be swift, but more like death by a thousand cuts: excruciating to watch.

Indy's brother

As for the comparison to Star Wars, well of course the wars have more life in them. More than any film franchise I can think of. For now, and for all practical purposes, this franchise is at a standstill, limping along on life support because as long as George Lucas is alive, he will not put a stake in it's heart. Of course, he's not really working on Indy 5, either. We would have heard something concrete by now if it were in the works at all. So, Indy is on life support, and George seems content to leave him in limbo indefinitely, neither reviving the good doctor, nor pulling the plug. Lucasarts is not working on a new console game, or stocking the shelves of your local wal-mart, target, Kmart, etc with Indy merch. It's over. It's just that there is no closure for us, and here's why: KOTCS was the wrong note for too many fans to close the franchise on, and there's no fan service or straight talk to speak of from anyone involved regarding a 5th film.

StoneTriple

I just checked the shelf in my home theater room. Four DVDs, one Blu-ray, eleven novels, and four soundtracks - the franchise is alive and well in my world.

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
Lucas won't kill off the Indy franchise while there's still some money in the old dog.

However, Indy might be brought to the verge of death by the inappropriate hand of Lucas. His demise won't be swift, but more like death by a thousand cuts: excruciating to watch.

You're a "glass is half-empty" kinda guy, am I right? :p

Raiders90

StoneTriple said:
I just checked the shelf in my home theater room. Four DVDs, one Blu-ray, eleven novels, and four soundtracks - the franchise is alive and well in my world.

Sure, it's alive in SOME ways. But I'm talking about the future--More novels, more video games, more movies, etc...I don't see any of that on the horizon. That is what I mean by dead. The franchise isn't subjectively dead to me--there's still a lot I haven't read, there's still plenty to discuss, I always go back to watching the films and the YIJC and reading the novels. But in terms of future projects, the field looks rather barren at the present time.

HJTHX1138

Raiders112390 said:
Sure, it's alive in SOME ways. But I'm talking about the future--More novels, more video games, more movies, etc...I don't see any of that on the horizon. That is what I mean by dead. The franchise isn't subjectively dead to me--there's still a lot I haven't read, there's still plenty to discuss, I always go back to watching the films and the YIJC and reading the novels. But in terms of future projects, the field looks rather barren at the present time.

Presently, it doesn't look that great.

Something tells me that when the 3D prequel nonsense is over, Georgie will look elsewhere for something to do . . . Indy might fill that void.

I personally wish I could send a letter to LucasArts myself.

ROB98374

If Star Wars does well enough in 3D, I can see them releasing a 3D movie for Indiana Jones. Money is money.

Supernatural

I've been used to this for over twenty years now. Crystal Skull and all the merchandising that came with it was nothing more than a brief reprieve.

Indy was always the red headed stepchild. It will never get the respect that Star Wars gets. No anniversary celebrations and probably no 3-d release. Maybe an occasional Dark Horse Comic or game.

So while it was nice to see an old friend back in theaters and toy stores. I've pretty much accepted it.

Remember when Star Wars Insider used to be Lucasfilm Magazine? It covered ALL of Lucasfilm and Lucasarts moves. If the announcement that Last Crusade would be his last crusade didn't drive it home, the change from Lucasfilm Magazine to Star Wars Insider certainly drove it home.

Crack that whip

Supernatural said:
Remember when Star Wars Insider used to be Lucasfilm Magazine? It covered ALL of Lucasfilm and Lucasarts moves. If the announcement that Last Crusade would be his last crusade didn't drive it home, the change from Lucasfilm Magazine to Star Wars Insider certainly drove it home.

As a matter of fact, I do remember...

Supernatural

Thanks for that link. I feel the same way about many of points you make in the letter.

I have this bad habit of forgetting Ford was Bob Falfa.

Indy_Chic

I agree, The Indy franchise has gone rather quiet, it is a shame that there isn't more being done to keep the stories continuing such as more books or games. It may have gone quiet but it's not gone completely, it's obviously still popular and loved enough to have fans from all different places still coming here to talk about the adventures of Indy. But I guess you never know - there could be more things planned for the Indy franchise in the future. :)

Mickiana

I don't think it's dead. It seems to go into dormancy every now and then. It may be in dormancy now. Something will eventually happen. Exactly what, though, I don't know.

fenris

For me it seems dead in a way.

Nowadays, most of the younger generation don't even know him... If ever the name strikes a chord in their mind, it would be Indiana Jones the Lego character! Sad, very sad.

Stoo

Mickiana said:
I don't think it's dead. It seems to go into dormancy every now and then. It may be in dormancy now. Something will eventually happen. Exactly what, though, I don't know.
Your dormancy comment is spot-on, Mickie. There have been lulls in the past and since Raiders112390 only got into Indiana Jones c.1999, he hasn't experienced the dormant periods before. (Heck, I thought Indy was finished when the Marvel comics ended in early '86!:dead:)

Anyway, the Blu-rays are coming out this fall so things aren't dead...yet!