Backstory to Disney's Mary Poppins

Joe Brody

Great article in this week's New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/051219fa_fact1

Today, stories-behind-the-story tend to be small, gossipy affairs dominated by pointless trivia. I'm facinated by stories of the interactions between famous, gifted people and this is an interesting one.

As an aside, I'm impressed by how Caitlin Flanagan picks up how Walt's guys unmistakably twisted the story to one advocating the male party-line. I've often wondered why women are largely oblivious to the film's traditional message.

roundshort

WOW, did somebody get paid by the word for that article, their was more unnecessary verbage than in Harry Potter #5,

But after digging throught that thing a lot of great info. It makes me respect Walt even more. There is a good book called "Mouse under Glass" which looks at the "real" story behind the Disney movies (the hits, not a lot of the 50 and 60 crap).

Remember, Walt was about making hit's, not telling the truth, and thank god for it!

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
How do you think Steven Speilberg would interpret Mary?

Good question -- I think he'd keep the West End feel given the success of the musical. I'd say 'Hook' would be the best starting point for discussion.

Let's just hope he interprets Mary after Indy IV. Oh what the Hell -- he's doing his Lincoln flic . . . and now there's something about Mary. . . . [throwing arms up in mock despair]. . . screw it, I an on the brink of throwing in the towel here.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Good question -- I think he'd keep the West End feel given the success of the musical. I'd say 'Hook' would be the best starting point for discussion.

Let's just hope he interprets Mary after Indy IV. Oh what the Hell -- he's doing his Lincoln flic . . . and now there's something about Mary. . . . [throwing arms up in mock despair]. . . screw it, I an on the brink of throwing in the towel here.

Joe I have secert sources, whom I can't say or they will have me killed, but there is over 15 hours of footage for the new Indy . . .

opps wrong thread sorry