General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
I have a love/hate relationship with it. My feelings aside, all I said is that it was "much derided", which has nothing to do with my own opinion.

When you followed "much derided" with

Indy's brother said:
They've both grown away from that type of film, from what makes the character tick.

it sounded like you felt Lucas and Spielberg were out of touch with Indy when they made KOTCS.

I would say that about Lucas and Star Wars when he made the Prequels, but I felt Indy was the most stable factor of KOTCS - in line with your "It could be argued that Ford was the best part of the last one..."

Indy ticked as regular as clockwork, yet the world around him resembled Dali's The Persistence of Memory:

The_Persistence_of_Memory.jpg

Which might tie in with the claim that Lucas and Spielberg had grown away from that type of film. It wasn't as slick, centred or Indy-driven as the previous three. Thus a good argument for taking the film away from their involvement, and giving it to those with better a focus and purpose - as with JJ Abrams taking on Star Wars VII. Where there is a desire, hopefully there is also a better put together film.

Grizzlor

George Lucas has retired from major filmmaking. His inclusion will likely just be as an advisor/exec. producer, with input on the story if he wants it. I figure Ford and Spielberg will have the same. Steven has a good relationship with Disney though, but I personally hope he does NOT direct Indy again. I felt his work on KOTCS was quite lousy.

Lego Indy

If Ford wants 1 (or 2 more) movies, they should honor his wish before a "reboot." That's the least they could do for the man who has earned everyone tens of millions of dollars through the years. Let's get a good script, film them back to back, and let everyone have the conclusion to the franchise we so desperately want.

Lego Indy said:
If Ford wants 1 (or 2 more) movies, they should honor his wish before a "reboot." That's the least they could do for the man who has earned everyone tens of millions of dollars through the years. Let's get a good script, film them back to back, and let everyone have the conclusion to the franchise we so desperately want.

well said...

No Ticket

Lego Indy said:

Considering Ford is reprising his role as Han Solo in EPVII, the window for him to be Indy again and make it believable is closing fast. It was already difficult to believe his older age in 2008. But that was 6 years ago now and it will definitely be at least 8 years ago by the time they could churn out Indy 5 at the soonest. That puts Ford at like 74. If he is going to do more Star Wars films then just VII, then it could be even longer. My hopes are quickly vanishing for Ford to return. :(

kongisking

I've finally jumped on the Hitler Rant bandwagon, folks. But I figure, who better to argue my case than Indy's old pal Adolf?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LmPAPsIhDBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And this is my first try at one of these, so forgive if its shakily synced up. Also, are the mods going to be mad about me posting a vulgar-language video?

curmudgeon

Depends on what they did with another Ford film.

I think they could get away with a film with Raiders' level of action.

The stunts pieces and fights scenes aren't particularly over the top compared to later films, and the main villains are mostly the cerebral type (particularly Belloq.)

A smarter, more reigned-in sequel could be just what the Doctor ordered...

foreignerfred

JJ Abrams and Harrison Talking Indy 5?

I just re-watched Star Trek into Darkness last night, and I noticed a lot of references (not just to, of course Star Wars) to Harrison Ford-related characters.

I'm not a Star Trek expert, so I don't know if there are Trek mythology reasons for "John HARRISON" or the villainous -- older mentor character "Marcus."

Of course there's Into Darkness' rather obvious nod to the tribal chase from the Raiders teaser, Kirk's knack for getting beat up in a fight more than winning, and of course the transport ship they use to look for John/Kahn is essentially the Millennium Falcon (complete with a near-verbatim reshoot of the Falcon's escape from the death star from Return of the Jedi.

In the table read pic for Episode 7, Ford is sitting next to JJ Abrams, talking very animatedly. And of course, Han is rumored to be very focal in the new movie.

I'm not saying I WANT JJ Abrams involved with Indy 5, but I can't help but think that Ford is talking Indy with the director. Perhaps brainstorming stories. Perhaps Abrams could jump in as a producer?

What do you think? Could they be talking Indy 5? Do you think Abrams wants Indy too?

Finn

Staff member
foreignerfred said:
I'm not a Star Trek expert, so I don't know if there are Trek mythology reasons for "John HARRISON" or the villainous -- older mentor character "Marcus."
Khan's rewritten identity as Harrison is a plot point only appearing in the new continuity. Admiral Marcus however is already part of the old one, even if he only appears on-screen in the reboot.

I doubt it's intentional. And for future reference, even for a non-expert, googling these things is easy enough before one starts speculating.

IndyForever

A JJ Indy 5 truly would be way worse than no more Indy with Harrison. The director who destroyed Star Trek is probably busy destroying Star Wars as we speak & you only need to see Super 8 to understand he simply does not have the required talent to make an Indy film worth seeing with Harrison.

Lucas is still the key if he can find the motivation to get a concept to scripting level Spielberg will direct, Harrison will star, Frank will produce & direct 2nd unit, Williams will do the music, Drew will do the poster & ILM create some movie magic.

Someone needs to get a recent Lucas quote for 2014 on Indy 5's status. Perhaps The Raider could ask Lucasfilm's Lynn Hale to get George to offer us an update?

kongisking

IndyForever said:
The director who destroyed Star Trek

I don't think he destroyed Star Trek with his first outing. If anything, he rescued it, and made it actually interesting again. Into Darkness...I'm more conflicted on. It's certainly got some writing problems, but its very good at being an entertaining space adventure while you watch it. Its only afterward that it falls apart.

My criteria for a film's quality generally works like a scale. If the flaws outweigh the virtues, its bad. If its the other way around, its good. Every movie has issues, and yes, its easy to make a movie that is nothing but issues. But if a movie can succeed in its mission in spite of its problems...I will respect it.

I'm personally still pulling for Gore Verbinski to do an Indy adventure. When the guy's focused and working with a great cast...he can pull of a marvelous adventure.

...Like those really, really, really underrated first two Pirates of the Caribbean sequels.

Grizzlor

Into the Darkness is a jumbled mess, but J.J. didn't write the film either. The Bayformers guys did, so no surprise.

Forbidden Eye

Yeah, I don't want a J.J. Abrams Indiana Jones. Since he's directing Star Wars(in addition to Star Trek), at this point it's way too obvious a choice. I suppose my mind could change when Episode VII comes out and I were really enthusiastic about it, but I doubt it.

As for who could direct if Spielberg doesn't come back, sadly not many names are jumping to my mind. I am curious to see what those Kon Tiki guys do with Pirates 5; they could maybe work.

kongisking

Forbidden Eye said:
Yeah, I don't want a J.J. Abrams Indiana Jones. Since he's directing Star Wars(in addition to Star Trek), at this point it's way too obvious a choice. I suppose my mind could change when Episode VII comes out and I were really enthusiastic about it, but I doubt it.

As for who could direct if Spielberg doesn't come back, sadly not many names are jumping to my mind. I am curious to see what those Kon Tiki guys do with Pirates 5; they could maybe work.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Disney is reconsidering continuing that franchise, thanks to Johnny Depp's recent string of box-office disappointments. It's infuriating to see what was once such a phenomenal actor warped by the Hollywood system.

Grizzlor

As I've said many times, Lucas will be consulted but I do not believe he is being tasked with writing the script, or even creating the MacGuffin. The bigger question is whether Spielberg will direct, or they'll be allowed to hire someone else?