Indy Timeline post '57

OldIndy2323

By request, here's my timeline for Indy's life starting after the events of KOTCS. Be warned, it contains mostly speculation and outright fiction; but it is grounded in facts, social trends (I have a background in Developmental Psychology, Sociology and teaching), and every last bit of info I could squeeze out of the Old Indy bookends over the last 18 years. Anyone interested in my complete timeline (which includes pics) feel free to PM me. I'd like to acknowledge the work of Mr. Lane, who's outstanding work served as the starting point of my humble additions.

Late June:
In a small ceremony at the Marshall College chapel, surrounded by their friends, Henry ?Indiana? Jones Jr. marries his true love, Marion Ravenwood Williams, with Henry ?Mutt? Jones III standing as Best Man for the couple. The happy newlyweds move into Indy?s house and spend the summer weeks catching up on old times and enjoying married life.

Henry ?Mutt? Jones III, inspired by his time in Peru, decides to begin his own life of adventuring, starting with a small adventure to retrieve his lost motorcycle.

September:
Indy and Marion convince Mutt to go back to school and, after a bit of negotiating and passing entrance exams, Mutt enrolls at the University of Chicago.

Late September:
Indy receives an unexpected letter from Short Round, dated September 15th. As an almost unavoidable temptation, Shorty details how he has tracked the ?Eye of the Peacock? diamond, missing for over twenty years, to a small Hawaiian island called Niihau, where it has fallen into the hands of the natives there. Indy, though tempted, chooses not to join Short Round on his adventure; wishing him luck instead. However, Mutt, learning of Short Round?s information, decides to meet up with him in Hawaii, and offers to work together to obtain the diamond. Shorty and Mutt?s adventure leads them to an angry tribe and an even angrier volcano; with the ?Eye of the Peacock? being lost inside.

October:
Mutt meets a fellow Archaeology student named Carol who has stumbled onto an ancient map that possibly leads to a fantastic archaeological find, the Lamp of the Black Shard, source of the tale of ?Aladdin?s Lamp?. Mutt agrees to help her and the pair travel half way around the world following the trail. Although the map is lost in the end, Mutt and Carol find true love with each other and are married by a ship?s captain along the way. The couple returns to the US, stopping first at Indy and Marion?s house to announce that they are married. The happy news is increased when Marion announces to everyone, including a very stunned Indy, that she?s three months pregnant.

January:
Taking time off from school and continuing to follow clues for the Lamp around the world, Mutt and Carol?s latest adventure becomes happily complicated when Carol announces she?s pregnant.

April:
After a very tricky pregnancy, and an adventure to get to the hospital in time, Indy and Marion?s new family is complete when Marion gives birth to a daughter, Susan Jones, on April 28th.

August:
Carol Jones, almost at her delivery date, is excited when she discovers a secret clue to the Lamp?s location. Although it?s a risk, Mutt and Carol travel to Nepal to find the Lamp of the Black Shard. While traversing a dangerous mountain pass, Carol suddenly goes into labor. With less than a mile left to the location of the Lamp, Carol tries to go on, but the labor becomes complicated. Alone in an isolated mountain cave, Mutt helps during the difficult birth. Mutt and Carol?s daughter, Indy?s first granddaughter, Caroline Jones is born by torch light.

Although the baby is strong, Carol begins to fade; the labor and birth being too much for her to go through. Mutt, knowing how close they are to finding the Lamp, leaves them to try to bring the Lamp to Carol, hoping its mythical powers will heal Carol. He finds the Lamp, narrowly escaping its hiding place, and brings it back to her. Carol is able to hold the Lamp for a time before quietly passing away. Mutt leaves the Lamp and Carol?s body in the Black Shard cave as a memorial, and takes little Caroline home.

September:
Devastated by the loss of his wife, Mutt leaves baby Caroline with Carol?s family, says goodbye to Indy, Marion and his little sister, Susan, and goes off on his motorcycle across the US to heal.

March:
After a close call at the end of an adventure, Indy decides that he?s just too old to keep chasing artifacts and tells Marion that he?ll ?retire? from the adventuring business. He concentrates on his role as Associate Dean, continues to lecture and completes writing a few books.

May:
Looking to teach part-time, Indy resigns his position as Associate Dean at Marshall College and says goodbye to his good friend Charles Stanforth. Indy and Marion move to a quiet town in Upstate New York and Indy is able to get a job once again at Barnett College in Fairfield. Indy?s new part-time position allows him to concentrate on research and writing and allows him more time with his family.

August:
After sending a final cryptic letter, Mutt Jones goes missing. Indy spends weeks searching for his son with no success.

October:
After a nighttime adventure, including being chased by a black bear, some night watchmen and a dog, Indy brings home a Native American arrowhead for his daughter?s school report. The next day, Indy?s ?retirement from adventure? is interrupted by a top secret government agency for ?just one more mission?. Indy initially refuses, but the agency mentions that in exchange for his help, they will tell Indy Mutt?s whereabouts. Though Marion tries to stop him, eager to find his missing son, Indy accepts the job. Indy travels first to Norway, above the Arctic Circle, to the ancient Tomb of Ice, then to Tokyo, Japan, where an investigation of the museum there leads to a harrowing chase. Finally, traveling from Northern China to the remote ?Dragon Isle?, Indy is able to beat the competing evil agents to the ?Fire of the Dragon?, a meteorite with incredible powers. Captured by the evil agents and brought to their leader?s mountain lair, Indy is eventually able to free himself and regain the Fire. As he escapes, Indy is attacked by the evil leader wielding the ?Sword of the Dragon King? and a precarious melee, above a molten pit, ensues. Knowing that the Fire is too powerful for either side to have as a weapon, Indy tries to destroy it in the molten pit. Just as he is about to throw it in, he is attacked once again by the evil leader; the leader?s sword slashing through Indy?s right eye. Wounded but still able to fight, Indy throws the Fire into the molten pit and barely survives the resulting explosion that destroys the evil leader, his base and the entire island. Returning home with a long scar and eye patch over his right eye, wounded, but not defeated, Indiana Jones, never the less, promises Marion that he?ll give up adventuring once and for all; or at least for a little while.

June:
Working with the secret agency as ?only a consultant?, Indy travels to the heart of North Vietnam to rescue his son, kept as a prisoner for the past years. Furious with Indy for leaving, Marion takes Susan out on her first ?adventure?, as they track Indy down. Catching up with Indy and Mutt, and helping them escape, Marion and Susan prove invaluable to the success of the adventure. With the family finally reunited, Indy, Marion, Mutt and Susan spend time together on a quiet vacation in Alaska.

May:
Indy finally retires from his part-time teaching position at Barnett College. He continues to write books on Archaeology and guest lecture at various universities.

June:
Susan Jones, after a dozen small adventures, graduates High School. After graduation, with the approval of her parents, Susan marries her high school sweetheart; promising Indy that she?ll attend college as well.

March:
Indy?s daughter, Susan, gives birth to Indy?s first grandson, Mark.

May:
Indy and his family attend the premiere of ?Star Wars? on May 25th. Indy enjoys it, commenting on how fantastic the ?Han Solo? character was.

Indy rescues a feral kitten from a tree and Marion decides to keep it. She names the kitten ?Henry?.

February:
Indy?s daughter, Susan, gives birth to her second child, Indy?s second granddaughter, Lucy.

May:
After spending a lifetime with Indy, Marion Ravenwood Jones passes away quietly in her sleep.

July:
Rather than live by himself, Susan invites Indy to come and live with her and her family in their home in lower New York State. Indy agrees, provided he?s allowed to help out around the house, and he and his cat, Henry, soon move in.

Indy?s granddaughter, Caroline, gives birth to her first child, Indy?s first great-grandchild, Annie

Indy?s granddaughter, Caroline, gives birth to her second child, Indy?s first great-grandson, Harry.

After hearing countless stories about Grandpa ?Indiana? and Uncle ?Mutt?, Susan?s son, Mark, begins calling himself ?Spike?; once again a family dog is used for inspiration.

Next: 1992 to 2002

Plaristes

Cool, but notice that there's a reproduction of the invitation to Indy and Marion's wedding in The Greatest Adventures of Indiana Jones. The wedding takes place Friday, Oct. 18, 1957 at 2pm, St. Martin's Church, Bedford. :hat:

Thats all you've gotta say plaristes?! :hat: This is fantastic, really really nice work.. Gave me a good few minutes of pleasure. Only complaint is indys lack of adventure before his 'retirement'

Stoo

OldIndy2323 said:
...he is attacked once again by the evil leader; the leader?s sword slashing through Indy?s right eye.
This is exactly what I've always envisioned, as well. Check out the image I made here: How did Indy lose his eye?
OldIndy2323 said:
...gives birth to a daughter, Susan Jones, on April 28th.
You're not going with Susan Daphne Jones?:p:( Looking forward to reading 1992-2002.
Plaristes said:
Cool, but notice that there's a reproduction of the invitation to Indy and Marion's wedding in The Greatest Adventures of Indiana Jones. The wedding takes place Friday, Oct. 18, 1957 at 2pm, St. Martin's Church, Bedford. :hat:
Yes, it does but it can't be right because that very book gives the same date for Indy & Mutt in Peru. Supposedly, the "Complete Making of..." suggests spring 1958 as the time of the wedding but I haven't been able to find the relevant info in the book. Check out this thread (and the links within it) for more: Date of Indy / Marion's Wedding

OldIndy2323

Stoo,
Thanks for the reminder about the middle name "Daphne", I'll be sure to include it.
I'm still sticking to the June '57 wedding....the exterior locations for Marshall College don't really suggest the fall (as I've mentioned, they were filmed in late June). Is there any semi-concrete proof?

Stoo

Forget the October date because it's wrong. As I mentioned above, there is supposedly a clue in "The Complete Making of..." book but I can't find it. Moedred brought it up in one of the other threads without specifying the details.

I also wanted to say that I think your birth dates for Annie & Harry are spot on. Hooray for the use of Daphne!:)

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
OldIndy2323 said:
Stoo,
Thanks for the reminder about the middle name "Daphne", I'll be sure to include it.
I'm still sticking to the June '57 wedding....the exterior locations for Marshall College don't really suggest the fall (as I've mentioned, they were filmed in late June). Is there any semi-concrete proof?

The signs up around "campus" had the Marshall College Patriots Football schedule and there was the game that Indy interuptted that was to be filmed at Yale Bowl. The men were all in varsity sweaters and the girls in sweaters as well. Yes it was June 28th to July 6th in the real world of New Haven, but I always thought it was fall as well for KOTCS and Indy and Marion marry in Spring

OldIndy2323

Ok I may be ready to accept that the wedding's not in June. I did a bit of research and it seems there was also a Tropical Storm in the beginning of September '57 (Indy and Mac are picked up in Mexico during a Tropical Storm before being brought to the warehouse at the start of KOTCS). Again, assuming the content of the movie takes place over a couple of weeks, September could work for the setting. Since Indy movies don't span more than a couple of weeks, and since the background, trees, plants, grass, etc. don't look "Fall-ish" for Conneticut, the wedding needs to be middle to late September at the latest.

Crack that whip

I assume you mean September of '57, right? Why would that have to be the latest - that is, why do you think it can't be spring of '58?

OldIndy2323

As I've mentioned before, the Indy films seem to all take place over only a week or two (not counting the flashback in "Last Crusade"), with no long jumps forward. A spring '58 wedding would have to be at least a 9 month jump. Placing the wedding at the end of September or very early October would work with the other factors we've mentioned.

dr.jones1986

OldIndy2323 said:
As I've mentioned before, the Indy films seem to all take place over only a week or two (not counting the flashback in "Last Crusade"), with no long jumps forward. A spring '58 wedding would have to be at least a 9 month jump. Placing the wedding at the end of September or very early October would work with the other factors we've mentioned.

I agree. It seems to make sense that the Russians found him in Mexico, in august because there was a storm and many professors travedl during their time off. He wouldn't be there if he was teaching class. The adventure seems to take place in early autumn and I would assume the marriage was short after.

OldIndy2323

Indy's life 1992 to 2002:

Be warned, it contains mostly speculation and outright fiction; but it is grounded in facts, social trends (I have a background in Developmental Psychology, Sociology and teaching), and every last bit of info I could squeeze out of the Old Indy bookends over the last 18 years. Anyone interested in my complete timeline (which includes pics) feel free to PM me. I'd like to acknowledge the work of Mr. Lane, who's outstanding work served as the starting point of my humble additions.

March:
Visiting the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, Indy catches two youths, who have snuck away from their class, claiming that the museum is full of boring junk. Indy says some of the most exciting adventures of his life are in this museum. He tells them he was born in New Jersey on July 1, 1899. He tells them how he was raised in Princeton where his father was Professor of Medieval Studies, but he himself wasn?t crazy about school. He preferred playing with his dog Indiana and playing baseball. Indy tells them about the tour throughout Europe and Asia that he and his parents went on and excites their interest by telling them of when he was in Egypt, in 1908, exploring a recently uncovered Egyptian tomb. After telling them of how the golden jackal head they found was stolen, the two boys demand to know if he ever got it back. Indy tells them that he went back to Cairo with Miss Seymour, met up with his parents and continued on their journey. Indy begins walking away claiming he has to get home and feed his cat Henry.

They beg for him to finish and he finally relents. Indy proceeds to tell them of when, eight years later, he was on spring break in 1916 in Mexico and managed to finally retrieve the gold jackal after first becoming involved in the Mexican Revolution. He tells them how he and Remy set out to Europe to enlist in the Great War. They ask what happened to the jackal and Indy shows them the display it is part of in that very museum. Feeling young and adventurous once more after telling the story, Indy makes his exit by sliding down the banister alongside the stairs. (YIJC - ?Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal? - TV; DHCB)

April:
Indy is having lunch with his accountant to go over his taxes (Indy has been getting threats from the IRS because of his excessive expenses without any receipts to substantiate them) when he hears a voice that reminds him of Vicky Prentiss. After telling his accountant the story of how he met Vicky in London, in 1916, he tells him how he never saw her again. He still carries the train ticket from the day he left her. Indy is happily surprised to find out that the voice he heard was actually Vicky. The two embrace in a long-overdue reunion. (YIJC - ?London - May 1916? - TV)

After spending most of the day together, Vicky tells Indy that she is leaving the city, having completed her visit with her daughter, and is continuing on to North Carolina to visit with her children and grandchildren, and that Indy is welcomed to join her. Indy agrees and, after flying down and meeting Vicky?s family, the two spend days together strolling around North Carolina and reminiscing. At the end of the visit, Vicky returns to England and Indy returns home to New York; both promising to keep in touch and visit when they can.

May:
Indy attends the Annual Celebrity Tennis Shoe Auction and Dinner at the Metropolitan Foundation for Educational Quality, in New York City, and is seated at a table with a group of strangers. Two of the women argue about wearing furs. The one woman talks about redressing the balance of nature that mankind has destroyed. The woman with the fur coat orders veal for dinner which infuriates the other woman. Indy tells them that their discussion about the balance of nature reminds him of when he once went on safari with Teddy Roosevelt, in Africa, in 1909. He tells them the story and then leaves after dinner. The rest of the people at the table are left wondering what the point of his story was. (YIJC - ?British East Africa - September 1909? - TV; DHCB)

Early June:
Vicky?s daughter contacts Indy with the unfortunate news that Vicky has passed away. Indy is heartbroken and flies to England to attend the funeral. Although grieving, Indy is thankful for the brief time the two of them had together once again. After spending time visiting with Vicky?s family, Indy returns home.

While flying home, still grieving for Vicky, a sullen Indy finds himself seated next to the new owner of the airline, who is known in the business world as ?The Pirate of Wall Street? due to his history of buying up business, breaking them apart and then selling the individual pieces. Indy tries to persuade the man not to break up the airline, but the man has no regard for the employees. Indy tells him he reminds him of the general commanding the French army at Verdun in 1916, who sent his troops to their deaths in the trenches without any regard for their lives. Indy tells how the French finally retook Fort Douaumont, but with 20,000 fatalities. General Petain became a politician after the war and had a hard time living up to his own moral code. Nivelle, he says, resigned and died a bitter old man who never understood the consequences of his actions on the little guy. His story falls on deaf ears, however, as the man had fallen asleep shortly into Indy?s recounting. (YIJC - ?Verdun - September 1916? - TV; DHCB)

Late June:
While helping his daughter, Susan, in the garden, Indy is stung on the toe by a bee. Apparently allergic, Indy?s foot swells up and he decides to go to the local hospital to get it checked out. While waiting in the Emergency Room, he witnesses a young girl who was the victim of a gunshot wound being brought in. Indy says how sad it is to see that happen. The man seated next to him remarks that she?s just a street kid who will probably never amount to anything anyway. Outraged, Indy tells him of when he and his troop found a young orphaned boy in Africa, in 1916, who later turned out to be Barthelemy Boganda, the first president of the Central African Republic. Indy says he wrote to the boy when he was old enough to tell him about how they brought him to the missionary where he was raised. When a doctor asks if anyone who has the same blood type as the girl would donate blood. The man next to Indy realizes that he is the only one with her blood type and reluctantly volunteers. As he walks away he tells Indy that he?s sorry he ever met him, and Indy replies that he has that effect on people. (YIJC - ?German East Africa - December 1916? - TV; DHCB)

Still waiting, hours later, Indy talks to the doctor who gave the young girl the blood transfusion. The doctor laments about the innocent bystanders like the girl who get hurt or killed due to the numerous gang wars. He says he tries to do everything he can to help, but sometimes it seems like it?s not enough. Indy tells him that he reminds him of a doctor he once met, and tells him how he met Albert Schweitzer in early 1917. He says that Schweitzer returned to Africa after the war and found the hospital was reclaimed by the jungle. Schweitzer built another hospital bigger and better. A nurse tells the doctor that the little girl is going to make it. The doctor tells Indy it was a great pleasure to meet him and goes to talk to the girl?s parents. (YIJC - ?Congo - January 1917? - TV; DHCB)

October:
A mail woman comes by to pick up the mail from a mailbox, and finds Indy trying to retrieve his hamburger which he accidentally dropped in the mailbox instead of his package. She tells him that once he drops something in the mailbox it becomes the property of the U.S. Government until delivery. He says he hasn?t had so much trouble delivering a package since when he was a spy in World War I. Indy tells her the story of how he was assigned to get a letter negotiating a separate peace between Austria and the Allies secretly delivered to Emperor Karl of Austria in 1917. He tells her how even though they were successful; the Kaiser eventually learned of the plan and pressured Emperor Karl into reneging on his word. The war went on for an additional year with a few million more lives lost. Emperor Karl ended up being the last emperor of Austria. She opens the mailbox and trades Indy the hamburger for the package. As he walks away, Indy tells her he always had a thing for ladies in uniform. (YIJC - ?Austria - March 1917; DHCB)

November:
Indy witnesses a clerk at a doughnut shop being extremely rude to an elderly lady, and pins his neck to the counter with his cane while he admonishes him. He orders the clerk to apologize to the lady. The frightened clerk tells Indy that he doesn?t understand the pressure he?s under with his job. Indy tells him about fighting in the trenches in the Somme in 1916, in order to describe what real pressure is. The police arrive and take Indy away for his assault on the teenager. (YIJC - ?Somme - Early August 1916? - TV)

Indy is brought to his holding cell screaming that there?s no prison that can hold him. He asks the other inmates if anyone has tried escaping and tells them about how he escaped from a German prison in 1916. The inmates, who have been trying to shut Indy up throughout his story, begin yelling for the guards to remove Indy from the cell. As the guards take him to another room to wait for his lawyer, Indy shouts back at them that he told them he?d be out of there within an hour. (YIJC - ?Germany - Mid-August 1916? - TV)

OldIndy2323

Early March:
Indy arrives at a college in Philadelphia to give a lecture to the Pennsylvania Historical Society. After knocking over the podium and dropping the mike, he tells the story of when he was a spy in Barcelona, in 1917, trying to influence Spain to join with the Allies. He says that all of their actions were for naught as Spain never entered the war. When he finishes, the class applauds, however, he finds out that the class he gave the lecture to was American Congress of Neurology. (YIJC - ?Barcelona - May 1917? - TV)

Late March:
Indy is at his local gas station when a man in a jacked-up truck with ridiculously huge tires pulls up. Indy asks him why he needs such big wheels. The man tells him that ever since he was a teenager he wanted to drive the hottest car in town. Indy tells the man how he once drove an early racecar designed by Thomas Edison when he was a teenager, in 1916. Afterwards, the man lets Indy take his truck for a spin. (YIJC - ?Princeton - February 1916? - TV)

Indy is at his local diner when a disgruntled man sits down next to him at the counter. The man yells at the waitress and Indy asks why he?s so rude. The man tells him how the world is against him. He transferred his job, sold his house, and then got laid off. He doesn?t think he can get any lower. Indy tells him about, Krishnamurti, the most extraordinary person he ever met when he was in Benares, in 1910. Indy tells him that in 1929, Krishnamurti renounced his membership in the Theosophist Society and spent the next fifty years traveling the world and telling people that God is in all of us and that we should be kind to each other. He leaves the man to think about what he said. (YIJC - ?Benares - January 1910? - TV)

Early April:
Indy is at a photography exhibit in New York City when a man comes by to tell him that the exhibit is closing. Indy tells him that the picture he is standing in front of is labeled wrong. It is not a picture of the Bolshevik revolution in October, but an earlier march in July. The man argues with him claiming their research department has done extensive studies on the photographs. Indy tells him about when he was a spy in Russia, in 1917, and that four hundred people died the day that photo was taken, before the people realized that the revolution wasn?t happening yet. Indy points out that he knows this for a fact because his own blurred image can be seen in the photograph. (YIJC - ?Petrograd - July 1917? - TV)

Indy is stuck in a cab on his way to a play in New York. The cab driver starts yelling at other drivers, especially the men. Indy asks if she hates men. She says that all men are scum. He says that maybe she is looking for perfection and tells her how he was trying to date three women at the same time while working as a stage hand at a play in the summer of 1920. The cab driver asks him what happened with the three girls, but they?ve arrived at the theater and Indy leaves. She yells after him that men are all the same. (YIJC - ?Young Indiana Jones and the Scandal of 1920? (?New York - June 1920? section) - TV)

Indy takes his seat at the theater and finds he is seated next to a play critic who is writing his review panning the play before it even opened. Indy asks him if he?s a critic or a gossip. Indy tells him how he has seen critics do this before when he was a stagehand at a play, in 1920. After the play, the critic says how Indy was right and the play was amazing. Indy is shocked saying that he thought the play stunk. The critic asks what about all of the young people who put so much work into the play. Indy leaves saying they should be ashamed and quit. (YIJC - ?Young Indiana Jones and the Scandal of 1920? (?New York - July 1920? section) - TV)

Late April:
Indy?s pet cat Henry sneaks out of his house and quickly finds itself stuck up in a tree. Indy, after searching the area for the cat, finds him in the tree and decides to climb up after him. No sooner than Indy reaches the cat, Henry jumps out of the tree and scampers back to the house; leaving Indy stuck in the tree. Unable to twist himself around to climb down, Indy needs the assistance of the fire department which soon arrive to help him down. Concerned for her father?s safety, Susan calls her brother, Henry, to discuss the possibility that Indy may need more assistance and supervision than she can provide. Later, Susan and Henry confront Indy about the incident; implying that perhaps it?s time for Indy to be in a place where he can be cared for and supervised round the clock.

Outraged over his children?s idea that he needs more supervision, Indy goes to a psychiatrist to prove to them that he is not crazy for climbing up a tree after his cat. Indy demands that the psychiatrist test him to determine if he is competent. She asks him if there is any history of mental illness in his family, to which Indy replies that is a matter of opinion, but no one was ever diagnosed as mentally unstable. She asks if he has ever undergone psychoanalysis before, and he tells her he had a problem once, but he received help from Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Alfred Adler. At first she thinks he is delusional, but he tells her the story of when he was in Vienna, in 1908, and fell in love with Princess Sophie. Once the story is over, he tells her that he never received any letters from Sophie and never knew if she received his. She determines that he is neither crazy nor senile and says she will write him a letter saying so. As he leaves, she asks if he ever saw her again. He said he did, but that was another story to tell. (YIJC - ?Vienna - November 1908? - TV; DHCB)

Indy is trying to find a parking spot in a crowded parking lot. At the same time two other men are attempting to do the same. The two men are heading down the same aisle towards each other when they spot a space halfway between them. They both race to the spot, but crash into each other. They yell at each other and back up. As they race back to the spot, Indy arrives and manages to park in it as the two men crash into each other again. They both yell at Indy and begin fighting with each other again. Indy tells them a story of when he was in Italy, in 1918, and had a similar fight with Ernest Hemmingway over a girl. Indy tells them that after he recovered from his injuries he was shipped out to Rome. He tells them it doesn?t pay to fight over something when you lose sight of what you are fighting for. Indy walks away as they continue to yell at him to come back and move his car. (YIJC - ?Northern Italy - June 1918? - TV)

May:
Indy is enthralled in his daily soap opera, ?General Hospital?, while casually vacuuming the rug. His daughter Susan tries to get his attention and resorts to turning off the TV; mentioning that it?s time to leave for the grandparents? tea at his granddaughter Lucy?s school. Indy wants to wait until the soap is over. His daughter tells him that soaps are trash, but Indy says its pure theater. She says that it?s not real. Indy says that there are times when life is just like theater and tells her the story of when he was in Ireland, in 1916, during the Easter Rebellion. Indy tells her that Sean Lamass was not shot and went on to become Prime Minister of Ireland. O?Casey wrote some great plays, but didn?t stay in Ireland. Indy?s daughter says it?s time to go. Indy still wants to see the end of the soap, but Susan tells him that it finished ages ago. He asks why she didn?t stop him, but she says no one has ever been able to do that. (YIJC - ?Ireland - April 1916? - TV)

Indy is at an art auction and sees a ?Degas? being auctioned off. He tells the woman next to him how he was there when the painting was done. He tells the story of how Picasso tricked Degas into signing one of his own paintings, in 1908. Indy says he thinks that Degas knew what was going on the whole time. The painting is purchased by a Japanese man who thinks he is buying a Degas. Indy tells him it is a good buy, and the man says that one day he hopes to be rich enough to buy a Picasso. (YIJC - ?Paris - September 1908? - TV)

June:
Indy is fed up with the noise his grandson Spike and his band are creating as they try to rehearse. He tells Spike that it doesn?t matter how many songs he can play on the guitar if he can?t play any of them well. Spike tells him that they don?t need to be good to be famous, but Indy tells him that in music, music comes first. Much to Spike?s dismay, Indy tells him the story of how he was putting himself through the University of Chicago in 1920, after returning from the war when he learned to play the soprano sax from Sidney Bechet. He tells them that he only ever played the one song he learned, ?Twinkle Twinkle Little Star,? but he got to ?jazz? with some of the best. (YIJC - ?Chicago - April 1920? (First half of ?Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues?) - TV)

The neighbors come banging on Indy?s door to complain about the noise from Spike?s band which is practicing in the garage. Indy removes the fuse and cuts their power. He tells him that they are pushing the envelope with their music. Indy then proceeds to tell everyone of how he had friends in Chicago, in 1920, who were doing the same with the blues. He refuses to give the fuse back to Spike, however, which allows the neighbors to finally get some peace and quiet. (YIJC - ?Chicago - May 1920? (2nd half of ?Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues?) - TV)

OldIndy2323

September:
Indy is in the check out line at his local supermarket, HILLS, when he spots a trashy gossip magazine. He asks who in the world reads this stuff. The lady next to him wonders if anybody believes it. Indy says that he?s found that sometimes the truth is more fantastic than what you read in those magazines and tells her about when he was on leave in Paris, in 1916, and had an affair with Mata Hari. Indy says that less than a year after he left her, Mata Hari was executed for being a spy. The woman asks Indy if she was really a spy. He says that he doesn?t know. No one knew for sure and he thinks she didn?t even know. None of her friends in high places ever came to her rescue, although he?ll always be sorry that it couldn?t have been him. (YIJC - ?Paris - October 1916? - TV)

Indy is challenged to a high stakes game of pool in a pool hall. After impressing everyone with one trick shot after the other, he tells them that it?s all comes from having a good understanding of the laws of Physics. He tells his opponents how he learned Physics in Italy, in 1908. One of the girls asks him if his mother ever saw Puccini again, but Indy doesn?t think so. He tells her how Puccini went on to write an opera about an American woman of the old west who gives up her home and friends for the man she loves. (YIJC - ?Florence - May 1908? - TV)

October:
Three trick-or-treaters cautiously approach Indy?s house on Halloween (they don?t want to get stuck listening to him tell a story). After unsuccessfully scaring them by throwing a sheet over his head and pretending to be ghost, Indy asks them if they believe in ghosts. They say that they do not, so Indy tells them how he didn?t either until he was sent on a mission to Transylvania in 1918, and came up against the vampire Vlad Tepes. The children are still unswayed, but run screaming from the house when Indy turns around with fake fangs and blood dripping from his mouth. (YIJC - ?Transylvania - January 1918? - TV)

November:
Indy is having Thanksgiving dinner with his family at Susan?s house. When his granddaughter Caroline tries to get Harry, his great-grandson, to try some cranberry sauce, Indy is reminded about another dinner of thanks giving he had when he was young. He tells them about his adventure in Peking, in 1910. Indy says that he thinks that that was the best Thanksgiving feast he ever attended. His great-granddaughter Annie asks if that has to do with cranberry sauce. He says not a lot. He then tells Harry to try it, but he doesn?t like it. (YIJC - ?Peking - March 1910? - TV; DHCB)

June:
Spike graduates high school.

Indy?s pet cat, Henry, dies after a long and happy life.

May:
Mark, aka ?Spike?, graduates from NYU in New York.

July:
On July 1st, Henry Walton ?Indiana? Jones, Jr. turns 100 years old; celebrating a lifetime of adventure with scores of family and friends.

June:
Indy?s granddaughter Lucy graduates high school.

October:
One fall afternoon, a group of military-looking men arrive at Indy?s house. They tell Indy that he has been recommended by Dr. Denholm Brody, grandson of Marcus Brody, and a noted archaeologist working with British Military Intelligence. Dr. Brody and his team had been in Baghdad, Iraq, aiding in the US military endeavor as archaeological advisors, and had come across a secret chamber under one to the city?s structures. The chamber contained strange glyphs and when Brody wasn?t able to translate them, he sought the help of the legendary Professor Jones. Having heard of the strange and mystical items Indy had collected for his grandfather, Brody is concerned that the secret chamber may contain something the Iraqis could use as a weapon. Indy?s grandson, Spike, overhears the conversation and is protective of his grandfather. When Indy agrees to accompany Brody to Iraq, Spike insists on coming along too.
In Baghdad, at the site of the secret chamber, Indy is able to translate the glyphs. By unlocking a pillar deeper in the chamber, ?The Key to Eternity? will be released; an object that, when placed in the right location, will open a ?mystical doorway? to the legendary city of Shangri La. Further translation reveals that this ?Shangri La? will endow any who enter with Immortality and Invincibility, restoring them to the prime of their lives. Just then, the group is ambushed by assassins who Brody identifies as ?The Shadow Hand?, a group that follows a mysterious villainous leader who believes in world domination through dark magic. Brody is able to buy Indy and Spike the time to recover the Key from the pillar and the two race out of Baghdad. With only a small lead, Indy and Spike hop a plane, following the Key?s glyphs to Nepal. Along the way, Indy tells Spike that, according to legend, the doorway to Shangri La can only be opened once from a secret cave high up in the mountains. If the Shadow Hand and their Master were to gain access, they would be an unstoppable force of evil. Indy decides the only way to stop them is to find the cave first and destroy it and the Key. After narrowly avoiding the Shadow Hand at the airport, Indy and Spike travel to a small village at the base of the mountain indicated by the glyphs. Quickly gaining supplies, the two set out on the treacherous snowy mountain pass. After avoiding the Shadow Hand?s henchmen, who are close behind, and seeking refuge from a sudden severe blizzard, Indy and Spike stumble upon the hidden cave containing the doorway to Shangri La. The Shadow Hand are forced to pause in their chase as the storm intensifies. Separated from the Shadow Hand by only a precarious ice bridge, Spike realizes they may not be able to use the small explosives on the cave and have the time to escape before the Shadow Hand arrive. Indy suggests that if a person created a small disruption to the snow and ice just up the mountain, it could cause a tremendous avalanche that would in effect destroy the bridge, making it impossible to reach the cave. The only problem is the person creating the disruption would be also swept away in the rushing snow. Indy says that he?s old and tired and the climb really has been too much, he won?t be able to climb down, and suggests that he go out into the storm and cause the avalanche. Spike immediately objects; insisting they?ll find a way to stop the Shadow Hand and destroy the cave in time. As Indy insists, Spike refuses to hear more of it and walks further into the cave to set up camp and try to hold off the blizzard?s cold. Indy realizes he?s faced with a monumental choice. He could use the key, enter the mystical city and thereby prevent the door from opening for anyone else; especially The Shadow Hand. Once inside Shangri La, he would live on forever, young and strong and filling his days with new adventures. Spike might be able to flee and the Shadow Hand would never be able to enter Shangri La once the Key had been used. On the other hand, he could climb out into the blizzard and cause the avalanche, destroying the ice bridge and insuring Spike?s safety, but risking his own life out in the frigid winds and rushing snows of the mountain. With Spike settling down to sleep and time rapidly running out, Indy carefully weighs his choices, recalling his full life of adventure and all the people in it. With a sly grin and a twinkle in his ey, Henry ?Indiana? Jones, Jr. turns and walks toward his destiny.
On October 21st, 2002, Spike wakes up to the sound of rushing snow. Quickly running to the cave entrance he?s shocked to see an avalanche engulfing the ice bridge and the entire camp of The Shadow Hand. Confused he returns to his camp inside the cave and is shocked to see the doorway to Shangri La is gone! Also missing are his grandfather?s mountain gear and parka. His calls for his grandfather, but quickly stops as he notices a weathered old fedora resting atop a well-used walking stick. With a bittersweet smile, he picks up the hat and cane, but, with a sudden knowing look, he carefully replaces them. Spike packs up the camp, sets the explosives to seal the cave and steps out onto the mountain pass; just as the crimson sun begins to rise.

InexorableTash

Cute. A few nitpicky/tweaks I'd suggest for the final adventure:

• Including a descendant of Brody is a bit gratuitous.
  • MilIntel flew a 101-year-old man to Bagdad just to translate some glyphs; wouldn't sending pictures make more sense?
  • October 2002 is just a few months before the (anticipated-by-everyone-and-their-dog-named-Indiana) US-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003, yet somehow the British military is operating unfettered enough to bring in civilians.
  • There's some ancient link between Persia and Shangri La. IMHO, a stretch - sounds like an Indy video game, rather than a movie plot.

Suggestions:

• Ditch Brody, and make it US Military Intelligence and/or CIA.
  • Set it in Afghanistan, where US occupation was well underway by late 2002.
  • Justify bringing Indy (and Spike) by having this be related to some "field work" Indy did for the CIA during the "lost years" (pre-1957). (Although that sounds a little like the Crystal Skull setup.) Perhaps set the prequel adventure in 1952, so this follow-up is a nice round 50 years later.
  • Restructure the end so that while Indy does intend to sacrifice himself to save Spike (and the world), there's a slim chance that the avalanche swept him into Shangri La.

And, er... wait... isn't this disturbingly similar to the ending of the The Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor?