The All Things Alien Thread

agentsands77

MaxPhactor23 said:
A screenplay evolved around Carl Jung's theory that UFO's are actually psychic symbols projected by the unconscious would work well here.
How could that be made into an adventure film?

MaxPhactor23 said:
Indy meets Aliens? Sounds like oil and water to me. :dead:
Fair enough. Some folks just aren't going to like it.

Frankly, I love the concept and think it is ten times more interesting as story concept than the Grail and Sankara stones were.

Dr. Gonzo

agentsands77 said:
Frankly, I love the concept and think it is ten times more interesting as story concept than the Grail and Sankara stones were.

I agree with you on the part of the concept being way better than Sankara stones. I always thought they were a weak MacGuffin. But I thought the holy grail was pretty good... and obviously the Ark was great.

No Ticket

I don't think he will meet any aliens even if the story does revovle around the idea. At least... I don't think so. lol.

eshine

Who cares if aliens are involved in this movie? Seriously - why does this bother you guys so much? Are you afraid it won't be cool enough?

Cmon - we are on an indiana jones messageboard.

We are geeks by default.

Aliens would be NO less corny than a silly "biblical ark" or "Holy Grail"

I hope they do involve Rosewell and aliens - definatley cooler than some crazy kook who tears out peoples hearts after a bowl of eyeball soup...

barranca

The more I see; the more I like. I suspect we will see some 'living' or 'animate' evidence of aliens, but Spielberg will handle it well, you'll see ''just enough'' and no more.

joelwatts

Dr. Gonzo said:
I agree with you on the part of the concept being way better than Sankara stones. I always thought they were a weak MacGuffin. But I thought the holy grail was pretty good... and obviously the Ark was great.

I think too much emphasis is being placed on the what the McGuffin is. The idea of a McGuffin, as introduced by Alfred Hitchcock, was just a plot device to move the action along, but it was not what the move was about. LC was not about the Holy Grail, it was about a father/son relationship. Actually, the Sankara stones are a more Hitchcockian McGuffin, because getting the stones back is not on the same level as the ark or grail, they were just a part of the setting to tell the story. Like in the Maltese Falcon, we didn't even really know why the falcon was so important, but it was what all the characters were looking for.

drjones

Well, hopefully the Crystal Skull as the MacGuffin will fall along the same lines as the previous three, just something to help move the story along.

Dr. Gonzo

joelwatts said:
I think too much emphasis is being placed on the what the McGuffin is. The idea of a McGuffin, as introduced by Alfred Hitchcock, was just a plot device to move the action along, but it was not what the move was about. LC was not about the Holy Grail, it was about a father/son relationship. Actually, the Sankara stones are a more Hitchcockian McGuffin, because getting the stones back is not on the same level as the ark or grail, they were just a part of the setting to tell the story. Like in the Maltese Falcon, we didn't even really know why the falcon was so important, but it was what all the characters were looking for.

I see what you are saying. Perfect example of the Hitchcock point of view... Like in Pulp Fiction where knowbody knows what the hell is inside that case but it didnt make a difference it was great.

But in some movies the understanding and carring about the MacGuffin is key, like in the "Road Warrior" with Mel Gibson. You need to know about the gas and understand why everyone needs the gas in the tanker truck and feel how important it is. If the "nice blonde people" cant escape with the fuel and the "bad gay boy-bezzerkers" (this is actually what they are called in the script, no joke) get their hands on it, it is literally the end of fertile civillization as we know it. It just depends on the movie if you need to connect with the MacGuffin I guess.

Bantu_Wind

I for one welcome the Alien/UFO connection. It makes a perfect fit for Indiana Jones in the 50s. I hope Roswell and Area 51 play a huge role in the plot.

No Ticket

You know.

After looking at the trailer again, and seeing the crate that says "Roswell New Mexico - 1947" on it... ya know, this one. I started to think. Maybe, as dumb as it may sounds, the crystal skull is ACTUALLY the skull of one of the aliens found at the UFO crash site in Roswell. And that's what's inside the crate.

I don't know how that would go along with the rest of the story, or the temple, etc. But it just entered my mind considering they show such a close-up shot of the crate... we know the skull looks alien... and well, they sure are after something in that warehouse.

:confused:

agentsands77

No Ticket said:
You know.

After looking at the trailer again, and seeing the crate that says "Roswell New Mexico - 1947" on it... ya know, this one. I started to think. Maybe, as dumb as it may sounds, the crystal skull is ACTUALLY the skull of one of the aliens found at the UFO crash site in Roswell. And that's what's inside the crate.
It's possible. Quite possible.

Though I'm actually going to make a stab and say that the Roswell container doesn't necessarily have a crystal skull, but rather something related to it.

peterlally

The skull is not the McGuffin, The Kingdom is, or something that resides there is. I dont feel the Skull is the McGuffin alone.

Also we know now aliens definately involved. Great! Why did it have to be the aliens.

ethanedwards

I had a strange thought to why the head of a dead (hopefully) Alien would be of any use...

See... with us, humans, we think with our heads, all of our knowledge and information, our intelligence, resides in our brains. It is all neurons and electrical impulses, and when we die - it shuts off... no one can access what you know, what you were - we just fade away...

Maybe with the Aliens, their experiences and intelligence is hard wired into their bones... more to the point their Skulls.

Wouldn't it be great never to forget anything, because it is always right there in your bones... In a way that would be ultimate knowledge and knowledge is power. What if it lived a long life - more information, more power. And if it could be accessed after it was dead - then who ever had the Skull would know everything that the Alien knew.... hmmm...

Just a thought...

Because what is a Doctor, but a man with a good memory.

:)

God'sRadio

The Roswell crate, later seen in the back of the jeep driven by Stalko which Indy tries to swing into, likely contains a good many crystal skulls - all but one I bet, with the remaining one being the object of the chase

ethanedwards

Radio -

Look, the Legend of the Mayan Skulls is a lot older than Roswell - So why do you think THAT myth has anything to do with THIS film?

One - Alien Skull.

That's it.

God'sRadio

Because the myth will be about aliens who visited in the far past. Stranded, died, whatever. Skulls remain. Somehow they make the temple energised, and if some rumors are right, fly away.

Skull singular because they are pursuing one, the one remaining to be fought over.

Perhilion

MaxPhactor23 said:
Considering this is my first post, I’m nervous to speak my opinion. I’m sure I’ll inevitably be crucified by someone. But know that this is not meant as a personal attack upon anyone on these boards whatsoever. It’s simply one mans opinion. I wanted to throw in my two cents. :whip:

The films Crystal Skulls have obviously taken an enormously superficial departure from the actual artifacts - visibly very foreign in design with their enlarged cranium and gigantic eye sockets. I find this a very good indicator of aliens technology being present in the film. I simply cannot help but be annoyed by this. The very reason the real world Crystal Skulls were publicized so heavily in the first place was because they astonishingly were exact replicas of human skulls. Are you familiar with "Ancient Astronaut" theories? In summarization, they're theories that proclaim extraterrestrial origins for otherwise unexplainable or mysterious ancient relics or wonders - Ex: Egyptian Pyramids, Stonehenge, Easter Island and so on. They're concocted by Archeological hacks in order to excuse them of their lazy inability to garner any factual or sufficient evidence. They're archeological con artists that the vast majority of real scientists view as jokes. The Indiana Jones series has (or rather had) a solid foundation in fact. Whilst it's run through the typical Hollywood machine, churned up into exaggerated and glamorized commercial action-adventure entertainment…it's bases is in that of real archeology, myth, folklore and legend - oftentimes far more then people are aware of. I find any publicity to "Ancient Astronaut" theorists is a direct insult to the actual established science of Archeology. With the only exception of my father, creator of The Theban Royal Mummy Project, Indiana Jones directly inspired my interest of ancient history. I’m saddened and disgusted that this film possibly will veer from that course.

I could maybe tolerate Indiana Jones having some contact with aliens and UFO's in order to bring him into the mythos of the early 50's. A screenplay evolved around Carl Jung's theory that UFO's are actually psychic symbols projected by the unconscious would work well here. But what has been describe sounds awful. Instead of an intelligent working of the UFO phenomenon, it sounds like Lucas has cobbled together a bunch of National Enquirer tabloid-level stupidities and is presenting this as the final chapter to an otherwise flawless series. What a tragedy!

I surprisingly enjoyed the trailer. However, nothing ruins a film more for me then an awful payoff climax. If Aliens have anything to do with this premise…it will completely tarnish the picture in my eye. The obvious signs of Roswell in the trailer leave me incredibly concerned. This could very well be the equivalent of Indiana Jones meets scientology. I pray that they don't ellude to the Ark being Alien in roots. I can just imagine Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Special Edition! The Nazi's cautiously open the lid, revealing plain sand…but wait! What's this?!? Out comes the floating spirits of…Jar Jar Binks, Ewoks and Hayden Christenson. With what contemporary Lucas has devolved into, somehow I don't see this being all that far fetched. Remember the South Park Episode? When did Indiana Jones transition into Han Solo? Indy meets Aliens? Sounds like oil and water to me. :dead:
Well, I guess I'm your executioner. In my personal opinion, most of your post sounded horribly arrogant. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that you don't actually know a whole lot about the crystal skulls. Certainly one of the main things that makes them astonishing is that they are perfect replicas of human skulls, but there is much more than that (also, there is at least one skull that looks similiar to the one from the movie). I won't go into detail right now, you can do the research on your own. What annoyed me the most about your post is what you said about the "Archeological hacks". You may not agree with their theories, but they are archeologists and they have done research and if you have done anything other than sneer at them and completely ignore their work you would realise that they do do a lot of research and they have considerable evidence to support their theories. They are not con artists (I am talking about the archeologists,remember, not the bead-wearing hippies who pray to aliens) and just because their theories don't fit into what you call "real" science does not make them anything less than scientists. They have risked their reputation by doing their own research, coming to their own conclusions, instead of following mainstream science with their heads in history books like the rest. I'm not necessarily saying that the pyramids, or stone henge, or easter island are created by aliens. What I am saying is that before you go criticising peoples' work do your research. Especially on the crystal skulls. You will find that there is much more to them than you think, you will see that the new movie is based in fact, and you'll enjoy the movie a whole lot more. Besides, come on, it's a movie. It doesn't have to be realistic.

No Ticket

God'sRadio said:
The Roswell crate, later seen in the back of the jeep driven by Stalko which Indy tries to swing into, likely contains a good many crystal skulls - all but one I bet, with the remaining one being the object of the chase

Perhaps the Roswell crate contains a few skulls... from the crash... and a third is needed. Since the alien's skulls are made of a crystal material, then who's to say that alien's who visited in the past wouldn't have died and a tribe might have taken said skull and worshipped it. Hence, to get the third they must go to this Kingdom and obtain it. When all are joined together maybe something happens?

I dunno. It's all still very hard to say, which is great. Thanks Spielberg! lol. (y)

barranca

No Ticket said:
You know.

I don't think thats dumb at all, I supposed a little theory a while back that the skull is/are the remains of an alien.
This was based purely on the fact that hasbro are making a 'crystal skeleton in throne' figure.
Now someone knocking up a skull, I can see. But a whole skeleton, well I think that's more likely to be remains of some sort.
Perhaps as 'earthly' matter Fossilises after time. Ailen matter crystalises?
The skull pic we've seen certainly looks organic, rather than carved