Skull plot - order of events now we've seen the trailer

Wilhelm

But if Area 51 is the opening scene with Indy in action why Frank Marshall says that Indy is retired and teaching during a long time?

Indy's shadow appears in the Raven bar also and that wasn't his introduction in the movie. Area 51 seems to be Indy's first adventure after a long time teaching and with less ability with the whip.

jasperjones

Maybe but then what would the opening adventure be? All the early spoiler reports mentioned Roswell...this could be what makes him choose retirement. I think this is like Raiders in that it will introduce our villain, but also the McGuffin at the same time. I think it would be perfect, then on with the main story. And you're not going to get Mutt, Marion and the other members of the famous five running around the warehouse.

Wilhelm

I don't know what to think: my first theory was that in the opener Indy as Dr. Jones is teaching and there's a chase across the campus. In the trailers of TOD and LC they didn't show us very much of the opening scene (In TOD it was a surprise to begin with a musical number / Indy wearing a tuxedo and in LC with Young Indy as a boy scout).

Legendary Times

Hmmmm.... so, as we can see, Spalko IS in the warehouse scenes. Some people on this thread propose that what happens in the warehouse might be the opening scene, which, according to Lucas, continues right were another movie ended (so granted, Raiders of the Lost Ark DOES make the MOST sense). However, IF the main part of the movie really takes places at least 15 years later after Raiders, how come Spalko's looks haven't changed one bit...? After such a long time, she doesn't look a day older... hmmmm... what do you guys think?

Wilhelm

It's strange: was Shia La Beouf in the New Mexico shooting? I remember that the first video of the official site was Shia talking in a studio.

And the glasses falling on roswell box seems to be from Dr. Jones.

jasperjones said:
Maybe but then what would the opening adventure be? All the early spoiler reports mentioned Roswell...this could be what makes him choose retirement. I think this is like Raiders in that it will introduce our villain, but also the McGuffin at the same time. I think it would be perfect, then on with the main story. And you're not going to get Mutt, Marion and the other members of the famous five running around the warehouse.

But isn't there a publicity photograph with Mutt and Marion posing in the warehouse on Shia's bike?

nitzsche

Well, let's keep in mind that the teaser trailer is trying to make things look like they're in some sort of order when they most likely are not.

Personally, I think the warehouse comes into play early. I think it's going to introduce Mac and Spalko, but I'm still not 100% convinced it is coming in the form of an opening teaser.

Somehow I think Mac and Indy are going to be thrust into a situation by American and British intelligence agencies in response to a KGB threat. It seems like Spalko may be after the Ark, but discovers something from Roswell instead.

I'm having trouble with the order of events, myself.

EDIT: When you look closely, Indy is not the one being dragged from the trunk -- it's Mac.

Finn

Staff member

TYTAN

I truly believe the film is going to open with "New Mexico 1957" and we're going to see that shot of the cars driving towards Area 51 (if that's what it is).

This will be followed by all the wharehouse stuff in which we are introduced to our villian (ala Raiders) and in the end, the bad guys are going to escape with whatever they came for.

We then jump to Indy at the college and something will happen to thrust him into a new quest (for the Skull)...and along the way he'll realize that Spalko is once again involved.

Look at how Raiders did it. We start with Indy after the fertility idol. We meet Beloq as he steals the idol. Indy then returns to the university where he is made aware of another threat (the Nazis and the Ark). Once he embarks on the quest for the Ark he learns that Beloq is once again behind things. I really feel this is how it's going to work in KOTCS.

However, in the case of KOTCS...I think the Ark is going to come into play again...unlike the fertility idol in Raiders.

nitzsche

They might both be in there, but I doubt it. The strange thing is the aerial view shows the soldiers surrounding the vehicle, but Indy's fedora is already on the ground.

Hawkeye

TYTAN said:
I truly believe the film is going to open with "New Mexico 1957" and we're going to see that shot of the cars driving towards Area 51 (if that's what it is).

This will be followed by all the wharehouse stuff in which we are introduced to our villian (ala Raiders) and in the end, the bad guys are going to escape with whatever they came for.

We then jump to Indy at the college and something will happen to thrust him into a new quest (for the Skull)...and along the way he'll realize that Spalko is once again involved.

Look at how Raiders did it. We start with Indy after the fertility idol. We meet Beloq as he steals the idol. Indy then returns to the university where he is made aware of another threat (the Nazis and the Ark). Once he embarks on the quest for the Ark he learns that Beloq is once again behind things. I really feel this is how it's going to work in KOTCS.

However, in the case of KOTCS...I think the Ark is going to come into play again...unlike the fertility idol in Raiders.

I'm starting to agree with you. The more I think about it, the more your theory makes sense. :cool:

Dr. Gonzo

Legendary Times said:
Hmmmm.... so, as we can see, Spalko IS in the warehouse scenes. Some people on this thread propose that what happens in the warehouse might be the opening scene, which, according to Lucas, continues right were another movie ended (so granted, Raiders of the Lost Ark DOES make the MOST sense). However, IF the main part of the movie really takes places at least 15 years later after Raiders, how come Spalko's looks haven't changed one bit...? After such a long time, she doesn't look a day older... hmmmm... what do you guys think?

What he (Lucas) means Legendary Times is that the begining of the film there is always a teaser adventure. that teaser is an adventure that would be the end of a "movie" that would come right before the film you yourself are watching. for example in temple of doom the teaser is the end of indys adventure getting that emperor of china's ashes and dealing with lao che. there is a whole theoretical movie before that in which Indy had to do whatever it was he had to do to get those ashes. The same thing happens in James bond films. there is usually a teaser that is the end of bonds mission before the movie. alot of people would make the mistake that in last crusade the teaser is indy as a boy... in theory it is... (its a flash back) but the real teaser in last crusade is of the portugese coast in 1938 when indy gets the cross of coronado back. that last adventure leads directly to the begining of indys next adventure.
Its a little confusing. I hope that helped.

Niteshade007

Finn said:
Hmm, I dunno if it's just the lighting, but the color of the clothing on the guy taken from the trunk matches Mac's jacket better than Indy's shirt. So you may be right.

http://www.theraider.net/showimage....dy4/gallery/screenshots/teaser/teaser_026.jpg

http://www.theraider.net/showimage....dy4/gallery/screenshots/teaser/teaser_034.jpg

Yeah, I thought that scene was a little odd. First of all, Indy's hat is OUTSIDE the car before they even open the trunk. Why would his hat be there if he's in the trunk? How could his hat get there before him?

Dr. Gonzo

Ill tell you how...
trailer editing. not too diferent from reality TV show editing. take certain reactions and actions from people and actors and place them in an order you see fit to make it more dramatic. its done all the time. like when someone says something on a reality tv show and they cut to someone looking bored/shcked/fill in whatever emotion you want, those insert shots of people were filmed at different times and they just reorder it to make it dramatic.

kind of went off topic but, I think they used that editing in the trailer a few times, like when indy swings from the light in the warehouse. he is facing forward then cut to him swinging backwards and falling into a truck. i would put money on the fact that those are two different whip swings.
Thats trailer editing for you.

Legendary Times

Dr. Gonzo said:
What he (Lucas) means Legendary Times is that the begining of the film there is always a teaser adventure.

:D Really? Wow! I don't think I've ever noticed that. :D

All kidding aside, Dr. Gonzo, thank you for your explanation, that was very sweet, but I knew that already (y)

The only thing that I was unsure about was "which" adventure Lucas is referring to? The way I took his statement was that Lucas was referring to a MOVIE adventure, ie. TOD, ROTLA, etc. BUT now, your explanation makes MORE sense and I thank you for it, that this movie might continue from another, non-filmed (!) Indy adventure... so thanks Dr. G! That makes sense! :hat:

Legendary Times

Dr. Gonzo said:
he is facing forward then cut to him swinging backwards and falling into a truck. I would put money on the fact that those are two different whip swings.

You're on! Why? I think this is probably the only "coherent" scene sequence in the entire trailer: Indy simply miscalculated the distance, and thus he HAD to swing backward and crash into the truck... I mean, he even admits: "Damn, I thought that was closer!" ... I agree, though, that "something" seems to be "missing" but I simply think that the sequence had to be shortened a bit because of trailer time limitations...

Ok, SO: care to make it interesting? :p

Dr. Gonzo

Im sorry bout that LT. I can never tell who on here knows wht, because some times some people do ask questions like that on these threads... and after I thought about it I figured you knew all that any way because I remember reading some of your posts before and seeing that you were very intelligent and had some expertise in interesting areas. Sorry again, I hate doing that, and I hate when its done to me.

joelwatts

Niteshade007 said:
Yeah, I thought that scene was a little odd. First of all, Indy's hat is OUTSIDE the car before they even open the trunk. Why would his hat be there if he's in the trunk? How could his hat get there before him?

I think Indy is captured by the Soviets in front of the hangar(the scene from the one of the earlier released videos where he's being held by two soldiers), and he loses his hat before they put him in the trunk. It could be a new take on one of those scenes where he loses it, but gets it back just in the nick of time. So for some reason they put him in the trunk and take him out again, and he gets his hat back.