How KOTCS could've been made better?

Matt deMille

Stoo said:
The point is/was that Abner would be too old for your imagined jungle shenanigans. Are you really that thick?
It's simply because this is another bad idea of yours (in a long line of bad ideas).

Having a Disney comic book in Indy's house might be a cute tummy-tickler for YOU but what percentage of the general public would even get the reference? How would it make the film 'much better'? Is Indiana Jones the type of man who'd even be reading comics at that age? The Indy films pay homage to many things but those influences are never specifically referred to within the films themselves.

More than once, you've mentioned how you submitted a fan-fiction script to Lucasfilm and it was rejected. No wonder...

Contradict much?:rolleyes:

So, now Stoo is not only god enough to tell us to what degree we can or can't make suggestions, he's also set himself up as the judge of what is worth mentioning and what isn't.

Too bad my attempt to appease god went unappreciated. I thought a comic book would appeal directly to little children who like to try and give weight to their infallible arguments with such intellectual approaches as petty name calling (like "duh Mille").

Little children who can't read, I might add. Typical of schoolyard punks. Too dumb to read, so they use petty little insults to make themselves feel bigger. Yes, read. As in, a "fan-script being rejected"? Where does that come from? No, it wasn't rejected. It was unsolicited, so it was not read for legal reasons. Had nothing to do with its quality. As a silly little Stoo who fancies himself a film-maker once said to me: If you knew anything about movies, you'd know that.

And yes, I PREFER my lore to be orderly. But when it simply ISN'T, contrary to what the hypocrites who can't read prefer to say, I just accept it. Yes, I can accept things. Watch me do it:

I can accept that Stoo is rather petty, that he can't stop his antics in favor of a cordial discussion, and deserves no further response. yes, in the past I've said that same thing, to try and avoid flaming, and being reasonable I try to respond to reasonable statements, even from unreasonable people. But since he's apparently stooped to the level of petty-god, telling us what degree we can make suggestions, what is or isn't worthy, and then believes he has full rights to just continue to take cheap-shots at those who point out his childish insecurities, well, I'll never give you the time of day again, Stoo. You just aren't worth it. You're just too petty, too hypocritical, and too immature. So, go ahead and waste more peoples' care for this thread with another "clever" attack of name-calling or whatever it is that turns your crank. To me, you just don't exist.

Montana Smith

Matt deMille said:
So, now Stoo is not only god enough to tell us to what degree we can or can't make suggestions...

"Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!" :p

(Monty Python's Life of Brian)

EDIT: I took out the final sentence of the quote "Now go away!", as it may be misconstrued!

Last edited:

Matt deMille

It's okay, Montana. I appreciate the edit, but it wasn't necessary. Quoting Python always says, regardless of text, that we need to chill out and laugh a little, and I did.

Stoo

@Matt deMille: Just because you've been probed by aliens is no excuse to be acting like a Drama Queen.
Matt "thin skin" deMille said:
So, now Stoo is not only god enough to tell us to what degree we can or can't make suggestions, he's also set himself up as the judge of what is worth mentioning and what isn't.
Hey, mention any idea you wish just don't expect everyone to like or agree with them.

Unsolicited scripts are returned due to their very nature. They are unwanted and, therefore, automatically REJECTED! If you knew anything about film-making (or Lucas) you'd know that it's terribley naive to believe a 'fan-fic' submission would even be considered.:rolleyes:
punisher5150 said:
I did miss the post. I recently moved overseas and missed a few posts, I guess. Sometimes that "view first unread" option doesn't always work for me. Probably because I am using Google Chrome.
This thread ballooned into something much more than I expected, with 20 pages of posts now. Great reading, and at times amusing!
Where did you move to, punisher? Hope you're comfortable in your new digs. Funny that you say, "ballooned", as there is one particular wind-bag around here with plenty of hot air.:eek:
Montana Smith said:
"Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!":p

(Monty Python's Life of Brian)
Very apt quote but D'uh Mille's perception of a god is an alien and I'm NOT an alien (the last time I checked).:p

Taking Matt deMille's fan-wank desire a little further:

Mutt could have also been a Scrooge McDuck fan and steals the comic book from Indy's desk by shoving it down his Levi's. While Indy is asleep on the plane en route to S.America, Mutt pulls it out to amuse himself during the dull flight. Later in the jungle convoy, Dovchenko could rummage through his captives' belongings and find the comic. He wouldn't understand the words but would chuckle to himself while roughly flipping through the pages in the back of the truck. Shocked and surprised, Indy notices the Russian's mistreatment of his treasured comic book and yells out, "Careful, you communist bastard, it's 3 years old!" (Giving a nod to "Temple of Doom".)

Indy's brother

From time to time, I make the extra effort while viewing the quadrilogy to put myself into a state of mind, an almost self-hypnosis if you will, where I attempt to take them in as though I've never seen them before. Kind of tough to describe the mental process, really...anyway, after watching TOD last night this way and seeing it as practically a horror movie, and today taking in the Epic. Horrifying. Terror-Filled ending of ROTLA, I was struck by something. To a lesser extent, LC had the horror aspect, but it seemed really phoned in/toned down for KOTCS. Of course, a more horrifying end for Spalko might not have set right with me since I didn't find her particularly menacing. But all the same, the chills were always in the OT to balance out the thrills. A little more menace would have been nice. Hopefully if Indy 5 gets made, they'll bring a few more scares out for us.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
From time to time, I make the extra effort while viewing the quadrilogy to put myself into a state of mind, an almost self-hypnosis if you will, where I attempt to take them in as though I've never seen them before. Kind of tough to describe the mental process, really...anyway, after watching TOD last night this way and seeing it as practically a horror movie, and today taking in the Epic. Horrifying. Terror-Filled ending of ROTLA, I was struck by something. To a lesser extent, LC had the horror aspect, but it seemed really phoned in/toned down for KOTCS. Of course, a more horrifying end for Spalko might not have set right with me since I didn't find her particularly menacing. But all the same, the chills were always in the OT to balance out the thrills. A little more menace would have been nice. Hopefully if Indy 5 gets made, they'll bring a few more scares out for us.

I watched KOTCS again today, as my blu-ray copy arrived. Yet, blu-ray and theatre surround sound didn't really help matters. What struck me this time was the amount of humour throughout the movie - as though Lucas was struck by the curse of Jar-Jar, and couldn't really take much seriously. It was a struggle to get through, and felt about an hour too long!

So one simple idea to have made KOTCS better, would have been to cut out some of the comic looks, dialogue and scenes, and as you say, IB, increase the scares!

Answers and what not

Stoo said:

Where did you move to, punisher? Hope you're comfortable in your new digs. Funny that you say, "ballooned", as there is one particular wind-bag around here with plenty of hot air.[/SIZE]

I'm in South Korea right now for a military short tour. It's a fun experience but sucks being away from family/friends. Sorry it took so long to answer but with my work schedule I don't have as much time to read these forums as i used to. Work likes to firewall these things.

Anyway, both you and Matt had interesting ideas. The point of the thread was to generate discussion. We can't rewrite the past, but its fun to think what little tweaks would have done to the movie. I wish we could refrain from the personal attacks, but I know after lurking/participating in so many forums that is an impossible task. Anyway, great discussion, and thanks for the nice gesture about my move.

Scares

Indy's brother said:

I think more than scares, the previous movies had some suspense to them, and a sense of discovery as the movie progressed. Hopefully they'll build some tension with the next one and make the end of the journey satisfying.

DiscoLad

They needed way more fighting/ violence. Not in a barbarian kind of way but just an action/ adventure way like it is suppose to be.

I mean Indy used the whip what...3 times...
Didn't use his gun AT ALL, just held it out...
Come on, shoot some people! It's loaded!
Weak one and two punch fighting scenes and then the fight is over, there isn't any great brawling like we saw in the other movies.

It was more adventure than action.
... And it wasn't that much adventure...
:( Jesus...

DiscoLad said:
I mean Indy used the whip what...3 times...Didn't use his gun AT ALL, just held it out...Come on, shoot some people! It's loaded!
Have to agree, how cool would it have been if he used the whip on-campus in front of a few stunned students?

A shoot out was sorely missed.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Have to agree, how cool would it have been if he used the whip on-campus in front of a few stunned students?

Punishment for handing in late homework?

Rocket Surgeon said:

In which both Mutt and Marion get gunned down, leaving Indy free and single for #5...

Montana Smith said:
Punishment for handing in late homework?
Maybe pull down some scaffolding as protection or to stall the ruskies during the chase...

Montana Smith said:
In which both Mutt and Marion get gunned down, leaving Indy free and single for #5...
I won't go into the merits of killing off Mutt, but if they do it should be right after he finishes college: "I finished...dad, argh!"

...after dropping Marion into the Well, bugs on Willie and rats on Elsa, they had an ant bite Spalko...big deal.:rolleyes:

Marion getting beat up might have helped the romance along...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
...after dropping Marion into the Well, bugs on Willie and rats on Elsa, they had an ant bite Spalko...big deal.:rolleyes:

Irina quishing an ant between her knees was the only pay-off in that scene.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Marion getting beat up might have helped the romance along...

We know from ROTLA that Marion delivers a good punch. A full-on catfight between Marion and Irina would have been neat, just after Irina places her hands seductively on Indy's knees in the tent.

Indy's brother

Marion flicking a lit cigarette at a gasoline-drenched soldier or group of soldiers with a baddass look on her face would have been cool. Or just one swing at Spalko (or anyone for that matter) for endangering her child would've been great.

DiscoLad

Rocket Surgeon said:

Hey I just wanted to see more butt get kicked. :)

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
Hey I just wanted to see more butt get kicked. :)

Like I said, Marion thorws a mean punch:

120.jpg

Indyologist

I would have liked to see a fight scene between Marion and Spalko or at least to have Marion give her a good punch in the face! I was very disappointed that there was NO romantic scene between Indy and Marion. Love scenes are a standard for Indy films! What gives???!!