What did George Hall think of the Young Indy re-edits?

P Tom

I'm curious as to what were George Hall's reactions to the re-edits Lucas done to YIJC, in which all of Old Indy's bookends were removed and replaced with new bridging scenes. Or did he ever heard about them?

Sharkey

P Tom said:
I'm curious as to what were George Hall's reactions to the re-edits Lucas done to YIJC, in which all of Old Indy's bookends were removed and replaced with new bridging scenes. Or did he ever heard about them?
Like Alec Guinness he got tired of being bothered by fan for autographs and always talking Young Indy. Young Indy this and Young Indy that.

The difference was that he was glad to be erased and left in peace.

INCUBUSRATM

I'm watching TYIJC right now, so I missed out on all the George Hall as Old Indy bookends. But I hopped on YouTube figuring someone would have posted them, and sure enough, someone did. I think it was Stoo on here, as the YouTube account was StooTV I believe. So I guess you can thank him for referring me here, as I saw The Raven mentioned in one of the comments on one of the videos. Anyway, I liked the George Hall bookends, but I guess the way Lucas re-edited the series and took them out works. It was cool seeing Indy as an old man, though, I must say. I respect Lucas and everything, but I think ultimately he should have left them alone. Why does he feel the need to change his works so much? I just think some things are best left alone. Having the George Hall bits brought the series into the modern world (1993), and gave us pleasure in seeing how Indy ends up. If I would have been George Hall, I would have been a little upset that Lucas cut me out of something as big as an Indiana Jones series. But he probably was too old to care, really.

patchcamel

I missed the series when it was running on tv and my first time to see it was when I received all three seasons on dvd for Father's Day. I had to jump on youtube to see the Geroge Hall bookends and I really wish they had been left in. I am not sure why Lucas feels the need to constantly fiddle with things?:confused:

phantom train

Yeah, who knows what GH thought of these edited YIJC TV movies, or if he was even aware of them. As has been said, by the time they came out he was probably too old to care, anyway - he passed in 2002 and so probably didn't even see most of them.

We fans of certain TV shows/movies (and I very much include myself in this category) tend to get very passionate about these types of things (i.e., edits to TV shoows, movies, etc.). However, we have to remember that in many cases, the actors/actresses involved really don't share our concern, and to some of them it's just a job. For example, several years ago I read an interview of a well-known actor in a film magazine. When he was asked what his favorite film role was, he very honestly and matter-of-factly replied, "The one that paid the most $." :D

Last edited:

twlightzone1205

Yeah, Micheal Caine was once asked about Jaws the Revenge and said something like "oh yeah that was awful wasn't it? But you should see the house it bought."