Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: The most quotable Indy movie. Whats your favorite?

OhioJones

Indy~Annie said:
not to space, the spaces in between space"

"They all had the same problem, they weren't you honey." (i love that one!!!)

I like Ike.

Mutt:"Whoa"
Indy: "Whoa......Whoa!

Henry Jones...jr ....me and my sister love how he says that!:D

you dont have to get sore just to prove to everyone that your tough...sit please sit.( i think thats how he said it....)sorry im still learning.

and when the student asked Indy a question after Indy and Mutt crashed in the Library.which i sadly cant really remember.:(

That's a good one.

Indy theme blaring, mayhem, and:

"Henry Jones....... Junior!"

Cagefighterkip

all the back and forth during the jungle chase, be it the simple villany of lines like "this is the end for you Dr Jones" or mutt's line "what are you looking at daddio?" that kinda thing was great. espeially mac saying "JONESY", and indy decking him w/a "Hey Mac!"

(y)

OhioJones

Cagefighterkip said:
all the back and forth during the jungle chase, be it the simple villany of lines like "this is the end for you Dr Jones" or mutt's line "what are you looking at daddio?" that kinda thing was great. espeially mac saying "JONESY", and indy decking him w/a "Hey Mac!"

(y)

(y)

"They weren't you honey"

With that Marion Theme playing. Instant classic.

Professor Jones

ValenciaGrail said:
Ok, everyone just calm down :D

How about I start this off:

This one was a crackup:
"The way you sink your teeth into those 'wubbleyous', I'd say eastern Ukraine"

Now I understand why I disliked so much the movie: in italy we've seen it dubbed, of course, and they've spoiled all the script (that, anyway, isn't good at all). They made an horrible translation and a terrible dubbing (the actor that dubs harrison has lost all his charm lately, he's getting too old).

That's a quite good quote, but in italian they translated it exactly like that:

"From your pronounciation I'd say eastern Ukraine".

That's a terrible way to flatten a script. If you consider that they've reduced that way every line of dialogue, you can understand the disappointment of italians about this movie.

Darth Vile

Professor Jones said:
Now I understand why I disliked so much the movie: in italy we've seen it dubbed, of course, and they've spoiled all the script (that, anyway, isn't good at all). They made an horrible translation and a terrible dubbing (the actor that dubs harrison has lost all his charm lately, he's getting too old).

That's a quite good quote, but in italian they translated it exactly like that:

"From your pronounciation I'd say eastern Ukraine".

That's a terrible way to flatten a script. If you consider that they've reduced that way every line of dialogue, you can understand the disappointment of italians about this movie.

So are you Italian or just living in Italy? If the former, and your spoken English is as good as your written... you'll be able to enjoy the DVD with original dialogue and see what was screwed up in translation. I'd be interested to know if you find it better, worse or the same...

Professor Jones

Darth Vile said:
So are you Italian or just living in Italy? If the former, and your spoken English is as good as your written... you'll be able to enjoy the DVD with original dialogue and see what was screwed up in translation. I'd be interested to know if you find it better, worse or the same...

Yes, I'm italian and I live here in Italy... I've grown up with the italian version of the trilogy and in the last years I'm enjoying them in the original version (I love to see movies in original language, alas here in Italy it's possible only getting the DVD).

In Raiders and Crusade, the actor that dubbed Harrison was very good, though far less charming than Harrison. In Temple of Doom they've changed it, and it was quite good, but not so deep.

I must say, though, that now I've seen them in english I cannot stop keeping playing the original version, and when I listen to the italian dubbing I find it so poor and silly.

Now I've seen KOTCS I'll say that the dubbing is horrible: they've chosen the same actor that dubbed Harrison in ROTLA and LC, but he's completely unable to give the character and the movie that right Indy spin. I'm very very curious to see the original version in dvd and I'm quite sure I will enjoy it (at least) a little more. I'll let you know anyway...

P.S. Thanks for the compliment about my written english, but I still find myself making silly mistakes! :eek:

indyrcks

Why you'd stick around Junior
Call it something else
just love the dialogue in this movie not out of place or anything

Professor Jones

Darth Vile said:

Here we are, Darth Vile... I've finally purchased my dvd copy of KOTCS, and yesterday I've watched the first part (till the Russians kidnap Indy) in english language, with subtitles.

I must admit that the movie is way far better in its original language... That's very strange, because the first three movies are very enjoyable even in italian, and in that case the dubbing had not done so many damages as the KOTCS italian dubbing!

Almost every joke is spoiled, and the quality of the italian acting voices (that yet are good actors' voices!) is really poor. Of course that diminish the quality of acting itself: one can enjoy the good performance of Cate Blanchett and her ruskie accent or of Ray Winstone and its british accent only watching the original version of the movie. Even John Hurt's performance is highly damaged from the dubbing. And yet - I repeat - it's strange because the actors that gave italian voice to Harrison, John Hurt, Ray Winston and Co. are really good italian actors (and dubbers)...

The effectiveness and the hilarous sense of certain dialogues is completely lost in the italian translation: all the Ox's riddles have lost their charme in the translation, and the duets between Harrison and Shia sound really silly in italian.

I think that an explanation of such a "bad work" (and I don't mean to be disrespectful regard the italian dubbers, that usually work very very good, often making even more enjoyable certain movies!) could depend on the hurry that they've had in preparing the dubbing, since the release of the movie in the theaters was meant to happen contemporarily all over the world.

That's exactly what happened with Revenge of the Sith: the fact that the movie was to be released the same date in every country imposed to the italian distribution and to italian translators/dubbers a really short time to work on the movie, while 20 years ago or more (the time when the original Indy trilogy was released) most movies waited a long time before they were released in Italy after the USA release. And in that time they had all the calm to prepare a good translation and to dub the movie with more care.

And in fact a lot of viewers realized that they made some great mistakes in SW-ROTS dubbing: for instance, in the scene where Anakin kills Mace Windu and the senator becomes the emperor one can clearly hear that in a certain moment the voice of the emperor screams is overlapped to the voice of the emperor speaking!

I will post again, anyway, when I'll have seen the second half of the movie.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
michael said:
"You don't know him!...You don't know him!"

Easily my favorite quote in the movie.

Mine too, and I was deeply amused to find out just how long the line is after seeing it on the DVD:

Mac said:
"Don't get clever Boris, you don't know him...know him! Know him! You don't know him, you don't know 'im! You don't know him! You don't know....!"

Benraianajones

Attila the Professor said:
Mine too, and I was deeply amused to find out just how long the line is after seeing it on the DVD:

Just posted this in another thread, but, I find it amusing when Mac copies Mutt's pleas to stop Marion driving off the cliff, by copying Mutt and also refering to her as "mum". "Mum slow down...!"

michael

Attila the Professor said:
Yeah same here, I only saw it once theaters, so I knew there was more to it. That whole quote put a huge a smile on my face in the theaters, a perfect line to have in a movie where there was a huge lapse of time and a new batch of characters being introduced to Indy and for us to know that Indy is STILL the man. The quote also must have been a treat for any newcomers to the Indy movies.

caats

"they weren't you honey" is my favorite easily.

a couple days ago an entertainment blog post had the title of "you aren't from around here are you". and it had nothing to do with Indy, and almost didn't work with what the post was about. i figure the dude likes Indy. since the only memorable/recent use of that phrase i can think of

Miss bubbles

'i dont think he thinks that far ahead'

'why didnt you make him finish school'
i laughed so hard at this

and heaps more

i must also say as an australian i had no idea what he was going on about with 'i like ike' any more than an american would andersand 'it's time'
so i looked it up
lol:p

Darth Vile

Professor Jones said:
Here we are, Darth Vile... I've finally purchased my dvd copy of KOTCS, and yesterday I've watched the first part (till the Russians kidnap Indy) in english language, with subtitles.

I must admit that the movie is way far better in its original language... That's very strange, because the first three movies are very enjoyable even in italian, and in that case the dubbing had not done so many damages as the KOTCS italian dubbing!

Almost every joke is spoiled, and the quality of the italian acting voices (that yet are good actors' voices!) is really poor. Of course that diminish the quality of acting itself: one can enjoy the good performance of Cate Blanchett and her ruskie accent or of Ray Winstone and its british accent only watching the original version of the movie. Even John Hurt's performance is highly damaged from the dubbing. And yet - I repeat - it's strange because the actors that gave italian voice to Harrison, John Hurt, Ray Winston and Co. are really good italian actors (and dubbers)...

The effectiveness and the hilarous sense of certain dialogues is completely lost in the italian translation: all the Ox's riddles have lost their charme in the translation, and the duets between Harrison and Shia sound really silly in italian.

I think that an explanation of such a "bad work" (and I don't mean to be disrespectful regard the italian dubbers, that usually work very very good, often making even more enjoyable certain movies!) could depend on the hurry that they've had in preparing the dubbing, since the release of the movie in the theaters was meant to happen contemporarily all over the world.

That's exactly what happened with Revenge of the Sith: the fact that the movie was to be released the same date in every country imposed to the italian distribution and to italian translators/dubbers a really short time to work on the movie, while 20 years ago or more (the time when the original Indy trilogy was released) most movies waited a long time before they were released in Italy after the USA release. And in that time they had all the calm to prepare a good translation and to dub the movie with more care.

And in fact a lot of viewers realized that they made some great mistakes in SW-ROTS dubbing: for instance, in the scene where Anakin kills Mace Windu and the senator becomes the emperor one can clearly hear that in a certain moment the voice of the emperor screams is overlapped to the voice of the emperor speaking!

I will post again, anyway, when I'll have seen the second half of the movie.

Glad it makes for a better experience. It's interesting... because I would never really think about how a movie is dubbed into another language, and how it can impact the overall quality/experience.

Let me know how the rest of it plays out.

Benraianajones

"Throw me the skull!....Throw me the skull!....Throw me the skull!"

Not really. But I do find her amusing when she yells it.

Out of interest, when Irina holds the windshield of the jeep and yells (before crashing on the ant nest) she makes a strange yell noise. Is she just yelling, or shouting something in Russian?

Dr. Round

Benraianajones said:
"Throw me the skull!....Throw me the skull!....Throw me the skull!"

Not really. But I do find her amusing when she yells it.

Out of interest, when Irina holds the windshield of the jeep and yells (before crashing on the ant nest) she makes a strange yell noise. Is she just yelling, or shouting something in Russian?

The subtitles on the DVD identify the uttered phrase as "TURN!", which makes sense.