For and Against Young Indy

Bullwhip

Sankara said:
My opinion:

The Star Wars Episodes I,II,II are nothing for "true" Star Wars-Fans!

And the "Young Indy Chronicles" ist nothing for "true" Indy-Fans.

Wow, that's ignorant.

fixer79

IndySeven said:
Young Indy isn't that bad.

Of course it wasn't!
In my opinion, it was a pretty good series of prequels to set the stage for the motion picture films.

The only bad thing about the show (and I'm sure most of you will agree) is that a lot of times, you forget that you're actually watching Indiana Jones. Sometimes, Flannery will be called 'Indy' by someone and you'd go "Oh right, he's indiana Jones. You tend to forget that, I think.

It's got nothing to do with Flannery, of course. He's a gifted actor and does an incredible job, but he's just not Harrison Ford's Indy.

Of course, there are a few personal reasons why the show's dear to me.
When the series was released I was terribly honored that Indy turned out to be in the Belgian army under the false name Henry de Vos and that his best friend was played by the sorely missed Belgian actor Ronny Coutteure.
I truly appreciate the tribute Lucas and company brought to my country.

To give a short reaction to the guy that said that Young Indy isn't for real Indy fans (and Star Wars I to III isn't for real Star Wars fans)...
I really don't agree with that, brother. Not at all.
Both young Indy and the Star Wars prequels were made by the same guy responsible for creating the original sagas. That makes 'em as much 'Indy' or 'Star Wars', in my book.
If some other guy would've created new prequel or sequel stories, it might've been a different story, but that's not the case here.
Of course, the fact that you might not like the newer stuff is something else. That's just a matter of opinion.

Sankara

The new Star Wars-Movies are nothing for TRUE SW-Fans - and "Young Indy" is nothing for TRUE Indy-Fans.

For "Young Indy":

NOTHING

Against "Young Indy":

- Sean Patrick Flanery (nothing against River)

- many-many mistakes (Corey says: "I hate Snakes!"

- The Storys! Indy fights against Vampires *LOL... Indy has sex with Mata Hari... LOL

- The Indy-Movie are full of action, suspense, humor. "Young Indy" is just boooooring.

Bullwhip

If anything, being a fan of every aspect of Indy makes you a "TRUE FAN". Your argument is asinine and insults our intelligence.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
There's any number of ways of defining true fandom, and some will be appealing to some and others will be appealing to others. That's the way it goes.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
fixer79 said:
I was terribly honored that Indy turned out to be in the Belgian army under the false name Henry de Vos
Huh? His phony name was Henri Defense, not Henry de Vos.

Gilles V

Administrator Emeritus
fixer79 said:
Of course, there are a few personal reasons why the show's dear to me.
When the series was released I was terribly honored that Indy turned out to be in the Belgian army under the false name Henry de Vos and that his best friend was played by the sorely missed Belgian actor Ronny Coutteure.
I truly appreciate the tribute Lucas and company brought to my country.

Idem dito!
Dat is precies waarom ik deze Young Indy avatar gekozen heb. :D

The Young Indy series never reached the quality of the films but what did you really expect from a TV-series where the budgets are much smaller than with feature films. And still the Young Indy series looked really great and were (are!) a lot of fun to watch! Especially the scenes with Ronny Coutteure. ;)

fixer79

VP said:
Huh? His phony name was Henri Defense, not Henry de Vos.

That's odd... Are you sure about that?
It really sounds like 'De Vos' to me. Plus, in every episode I've seen on TV and on home video, it was subtitled 'De Vos' as well...
It makes sense too... 'De Vos' is an existing Belgian name, meaning 'The Fox'.
I've always figured it was a reference to one of Indy's inspirations, 'El Zorro', which also means 'The Fox'...

Could anyone shed any light on this?
Gilles misschien? ;)

Niteshade007

I can't be a great judge of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles because I've only seen one (The Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, or something to that effect). I thought it was alright. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't something that I have to see again. I guess because I wasn't that impressed with that one that I never felt the need to watch another one. Does anyone know if I just saw a bad one? Are the others worth watching?

Stoo

fixer79 said:
That's odd... Are you sure about that?
It really sounds like 'De Vos' to me. Plus, in every episode I've seen on TV and on home video, it was subtitled 'De Vos' as well...
It makes sense too... 'De Vos' is an existing Belgian name, meaning 'The Fox'.
I've always figured it was a reference to one of Indy's inspirations, 'El Zorro', which also means 'The Fox'...

Could anyone shed any light on this?
Gilles misschien? ;)
Indy gets the idea for his alias from a French "No Smoking" sign in the Belgian recruiting office.
Interesting curiousity about the De Vos name. I wonder if there are different names in other languages as well.
(Plus, I never knew the meaning of "Zorro". Well, you learn something new everyday. Thanks fixer79!)

It's too bad that this thread wasn't started with a poll. Personally, I find it depressing to read that
there are so many fans out there who don't care for the show but it would be nice to see the percentages.
No, the series is not like the movies but it stands extremely well on its own merit. Big thumbs up!(y)

fixer79

Stoo said:
Indy gets the idea for his alias from a French "No Smoking" sign in the Belgian recruiting office.
Interesting curiousity about the De Vos name. I wonder if there are different names in other languages as well.
(Plus, I never knew the meaning of "Zorro". Well, you learn something new everyday. Thanks fixer79!)

No thanks, Stoo ;)
The sign probably said "defense de fumer" or something then... Completely missed that episode... Does anyone know the name of that ep?

Darn, that means I've been wrong for all these years, thinking it was 'De Vos'... And so was the team that subtitled the episodes in Dutch ;)

Stoo

Yes, the sign said "Defense de fumer". It was in the episode "Ireland - April 1916".
Let's see if the Dutch translation changes for the DVDs.

fixer79

Stoo said:
Yes, the sign said "Defense de fumer". It was in the episode "Ireland - April 1916".
Let's see if the Dutch translation changes for the DVDs.

I hope so...

Anyway, thanks for the info, Stoo!

Niteshade007 said:
I can't be a great judge of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles because I've only seen one (The Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, or something to that effect). I thought it was alright. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't something that I have to see again. I guess because I wasn't that impressed with that one that I never felt the need to watch another one. Does anyone know if I just saw a bad one? Are the others worth watching?

It's not really a true presentation for the rest of the series. I think it was more of an attempt to bridge Young Indy and film Indy. Other episodes are different. It's not meant to be an action show. It's got a lot of charm and fun, and some great period sets and costumes, etc. I love that old turn of the century flavor. It's definitely worth checking out.

Stoo

Yes, I realised after I posted that I'd made a mistake but didn't have time to repost until now.
D'oh! Thanks for taking the slack, VP.

"Peacock's Eye" is one of my favourites. Young Indy Rocks!

Inbanana

(I'm probably gonna get crucified for this, but here it goes...)

I have nothing against any of the actors who played young Indy or their interpretations of the character, but I've always hated the idea of telling the adventures of Indiana Jones as a young boy, especially in The Last Crusade.

I've always felt that the character should remain more of a mystery... that we should never know too much about his past... or his future. As a kid, I always tried to imagine how Indy finally met his fate... did he ever go back to retrieve the Grail and was given eternal life?... or was he ultimately trapped in some undiscovered tomb... long, long ago. Neither, because the TV show tells us that his ultimate fate was probably very, very old age. Of course this means that you don't have to worry about him dying any possible upcoming movies either... not that they would kill him off, its just that there's no suspense knowing that the worst possible thing that could happen to him was to lose an eye.

Same goes for his past... I think I was 9 when I first saw Raiders at the theater, the same age as Jonathan Ke Quan was when I saw Temple, and the same age as River Phoenix (although he was playing a younger character) when I saw Crusade. And one thing that young Indy taught me was that Indiana Jones would do more things by the time he was a teenager then I could ever hope to do in my lifetime. Sure its only fantasy, but it still sucks... and kills the imagination of a kid who just wants to grow up to be like his hero.

Now to be fair, I haven't seen much of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles... in fact I tried to avoid it... for the reasons stated above. I think the only episodes I've seen were the first one, and the one with Harrison Ford, and I thought that it was definitely geared toward a more younger audience as "edutainment".

For people who were introduced to the character and movies through watching the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles as they were growing up, I think thats great... but I also understand why there are a lot of people who don't like the show as well.

One of these days, maybe when they come out on dvd, I'll try to give them another chance.

Now don't get me started on Shia LaBeouf...