Story Ideas for Indy V

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Napoleon's naughty bits?
The doctor had allegedly removed the emperor's genitals, and they joined some of Napoleon's other belongings in a collection that was later auctioned in London in 1916. In 1927, the organ went on display at the Museum of French Art in New York City. It changed several collectors' hands until the 1970s, when it was purchased by an American urologist, who kept it in a suitcase underneath his bed until he died in 2007 and his daughter inherited it.
The *****, which was not properly preserved, has been compared over the years to a piece of leather, a shriveled eel and to beef jerky. In 1927 when it went on display in Manhattan, TIME weighed in, comparing it to a "maltreated strip of buckskin shoelace."
Also: they eBayed Mussolini's brain!

Indy's brother

Moedred said:
Also: they eBayed Mussolini's brain!

From that link:
In 1966, twenty-one years after Benito Mussolini was executed, America gave part of the former Italian dictator's brain back to his widow. In Rachele Mussolini's memoir, she writes that, to her horror, she discovered Americans had "taken away half of his brain,"

The horror was not that someone handed her the disembodied brain of her dead husband.... but that it wasn't complete.

*shudder*

Temple Raider

The original idea for TLC with the haunted castle sounded very cool and I wouldn't mind seeing it used for the next film. A more horror-oriented storyline would be neat to see, and I also wouldn't mind something perhaps involving the Bermuda Triangle, which would definitely make for a neat adventure.

Do it in the seventies, keep the aliens theme and ride the current Bowie wave for maximum sales:

Indiana Jones & The Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars.

Would love Harrisons last indy adventure to be Exalibur and king arthur and his knights, i think this would make a solid story, and is much stronger then crystal skulls..:)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Túrin Turambar said:
Would love Harrisons last indy adventure to be Exalibur and king arthur and his knights, i think this would make a solid story, and is much stronger then crystal skulls..:)

That'd be a bit of a rehash, wouldn't it? Going over chivalric ground again and all.

Attila the Professor said:
That'd be a bit of a rehash, wouldn't it? Going over chivalric ground again and all.

As long as its different to Last Crusade i think it would work, they could aways through a Alien in there too..

Túrin Turambar said:
Not sure about that..

It was a joke.

Look, here's a thought - the fact that nobody here can come up with a good idea for another Indiana Jones film that would work with Ford's senior age, well what does that tell you?

replican't said:
It was a joke.

Look, here's a thought - the fact that nobody here can come up with a good idea for another Indiana Jones film that would work with Ford's senior age, well what does that tell you?

Rubbish..Lets just give up at the first hurdle should we..? Harrison Ford = Tough. It doesnt matter that hes 70, there are many ideas that could be used for one last adventure, Both Harrison and Steve both want to do it, Lucas is the hold up, now he's retired who know what Lucas is doing with his time, maybe he is working on Indy 5?

Raiders90

KOTCS has left very little wriggle room storywise.
KOTCS leaves us with an Indy who is married, who has an adult son he wants to reconnect with, who is the Assistant Dean of a college in a much more conservative era. He can't go off running halfway around the world looking for bits of junk. Marion grew up with that; I doubt she'd want to be married to that. You can't ignore the presence of Junior Jones and his '50s rebel style. And while Indy might've gotten away with it as a teacher with Marcus covering for him under the guise that he was collecting relics for the museum, I can't see Assistant Dean Henry Jones running off on adventures and it being hunky dory. Indy seems to have even renounced being "Indy"...He's Henry Jones II now.

And with Ford's age, you really probably couldn't set a film in the '50s (KOTCS takes place in 1957 as it is, and you'd have us believe that Indy aged 5 years by 1959?), you'd have to set it sometime in the early to mid '60s, which a lot of fans are against.

Ford's age, and Indy being married eliminates two major factors which drew people into Indiana Jones in the first place:
-He can't be a womanizer/playboy anymore
-No real dynamic action fights and intense fist fights with a 70 year old Ford.

Raiders90

Túrin Turambar said:
Good point, if they had done indy 5 right after Skull, it could have been a prequal, no Wife or Mutt, cant do that now due to Harry aging 5 years.

And one of the bad points of KOTCS was the soft focus/lighting used to lessen Harry's wrinkles on screen...It gave the film an overly lit, almost surreal look. They'd have to do that even more now, and what are they going to do about his sagging jowls?:
Harrison-Ford_5.jpg

I mean if fans are willing to accept an Indy 5 set around 1963 or 1964 with Mutt handling more of the action.....Bring on Indy 5.

Olliana

Sure, keep picking his most unflattering snapshots.

He's more like this now:

hf0.png

Still looks good in my book.

hf1.png

Bring on Indy 5, biatch!

Mickiana

If those shots on the beach are recent, there's no problem thinking of doing an Indy5 with Harry. He's in great shape. The problems will lie elsewhere.

As for a story, the Arthurian legend would have been great except for a Knight already being in LC. It would seem like retreading old ground.

Olliana

Those shots are barely 5 weeks old. Ford's age never was the issue, Lucas' laziness always was, is and will be.

Raiders112390 said:
To be fair, you don't even really like Indiana Jones much at all to begin with, so your opinion is moot.

Oh please, have a word with yourself. My viewpoint on the series is far more nuanced:

Raiders is brilliant
Temple is dodgy, annoying but fun
Crusade is good in parts but a bit tired
KoCs is utterly sh*te

Raiders112390 said:
And one of the bad points of KOTCS was the soft focus/lighting used to lessen Harry's wrinkles on screen...It gave the film an overly lit, almost surreal look. They'd have to do that even more now, and what are they going to do about his sagging jowls?:
Harrison-Ford_5.jpg

Although the picture was soft, I think the decision to film it that way served two purposes: 1) to lessen the effect of Harrison's age but also 2) to kind of replicate the 1950s sci fi film look. Many sci fi "saucer" movies of the time used this technique to mask bad special effects. And I think the decision on Spielberg's part to film this way had more to do with the latter (replicating the look of 1950s saucer movies) than Harrison's age, although I can't really support that with any facts or articles.

Last edited by a moderator: