Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

JayDee

Sharkey said:
Pure unadulterated FANTASY.

The likelihood of this being real is less than Nurhachi being black. Which Nurhachi? Take your pick.

Sounds like the same guys over at Lucasfilm who ever claimed that a "Luke constructs his lightsaber" scene for Return of the Jedi was never filmed... Even the actor himself claimed that some time ago. See what we do know more now... In this franchise, there are ALWAYS surprises. That is what keeps the franchises interesting (to me).

Stoo said:
I hear you, JayDee. My comment was aimed at the doubters & non-believers. (I just hope that you didn't bid on the wrong VHS edition!)

Seems like I have bid on the wrong edition -.- It is the Hollywood Edition one.

Montana Smith

Sharkey said:
Pure unadulterated FANTASY.

The likelihood of this being real is less than Nurhachi being black. Which Nurhachi? Take your pick.

4 per-cent, dude. :whip:

If Stewie says it happened, it very probably happened. We'll just have to wait while he goes down to the sub-level 4 of his movie archive bunker. ;)

JayDee

I contacted a cutting service from a local german tv station which aired a show in 1984. It had the Shorty actor as a guest star, and I read on another Indy board that he has seen this clip we all speak about in this show as a promotion for ToD. They will call me in the next few days if they are able to send me the show on CD.

Last chance I see for me...

Sharkey

Lots of talk. Nothing more.

Bring it.

On a lighter note, I would be happy to see it. But this is all too much like "recovered memories" and blatherings about the US flag being burned off the ark crate.

Wishful thinking.

On a darker note, I
t's tough to take someone seriously about something so unique/rare and mysterious when they write "Shorty actor" and can't remember a name like "Key."

Hopefully this promo (or whatever it is) isn't as definitive as saying Indy once whip saved a diet coke can...

JayDee

Sharkey said:
On a darker note, I
t's tough to take someone seriously about something so unique/rare and mysterious when they write "Shorty actor" and can't remember a name like "Key."

It is still my decision which words I pick when I speak about something or someone, so keep it for yourself and go to bed...

Indy's brother

Trying to find a good metaphor for my interest in this thread:
"Waiting for the other egg to drop"
"Waiting to see if this theory lays an egg"
"Glad to see that JayDee has hatched a plan"
(to the tune of Jingle Bells)
"Jingle bells, Sharkey smells,
Indy caught an egg,
Did someone steal
This forgotten reel,
And will it get away, HEY!"
:p

(just playin' Sharkey):hat:

Sharkey

JayDee said:
It is still my decision which words I pick when I speak about something or someone, so keep it for yourself and go to bed...

Jawohl.

Maybe you should wake up.

Sharkey smells?

chapter11

Flannery10 said:
Well, I'm a lot of things sir, but certainly not delusional, thank you very much. Granted, it's been a long time since I have seen the movie on said VHS and sadly I don't even own it anymore, because let's be honest, who still owns VHS tapes these days? But unless my memory is pulling a really bad joke on me, I'm 100% sure to have seen the scene before.

You're right, Flannery10. I saw it too. The scene was filmed and it played in at least *some* U.S. theaters, such as the Salisbury, Massachusetts, Cinema Six where I saw it with my very own eyes in 1984. I didn't imagine it, either.

Stoo

Sharkey said:
It's tough to take someone seriously about something so unique/rare and mysterious when they write "Shorty actor" and can't remember a name like "Key."
Looks like you can't remember that there's no "y" in the name, "Ke".:gun:

Normally I agree with you, Sharkey, but now you're being an egghead. What makes you so positive that the scene was never shown? Maybe you're jealous because you weren't forunate enough to see it? (If you ever do get to see it, the yolk will be on you!):p

@JayDee: Shame about you bidding on the wrong VHS. Verdammte Scheiße! If you don't manage to get a copy of the CD/DVD of the German TV special, then I'm DEFINITELY going to make a call-out on the IndyCast!

@Indy's brother: I read your Facebook page call-out. To paraphrase Arnold Schwarzenegger: "It's not a rumour!";)

@Chapter11: Thanks for chiming in again. Are you Josh who wrote on Indy's brother Facebook page? (I ask because I'm trying to get a head count of witnesses).
Montana Smith said:
If Stewie says it happened, it very probably happened.
Thanks, Smiffy. I found another Canadian who also remembers it.
---
c.2003 from the comments section of this DVD review website: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=3595

What happened to the 'falling egg' scene? - Matt Hamilton
"I watched this last night (admittedly the R1 Canadian version). I distinctly remember (from wa-a-ay back in the 80s when I last saw this movie) a scene on the plane at the start where Indy catches a falling egg, while he's asleep.

What happened to that scene? Is it still in the R4 version? Or has it been cut from the print altogether?"

Falling Egg - Craig Erdmann
"My family thinks I am insane. I was anxiously watching my copy of Temple of Doom I received for Christmas and I told them I wanted to see if the falling egg scene was put back in (It was absent from the VHS copy I owned). When it wasn't in the DVD, they told me that they never saw it. I told them that I remembered it, but wasn't sure if I was superimposing it on Indy from some other movie I saw.

I have been searching the web and this comment section is the only place where I have seen anyone else mention it. At least I know that I am not crazy!!

I would love to know what happened to it."

chapter11

Stoo said:
@Chapter11: Thanks for chiming in again. Are you Josh who wrote on Indy's brother Facebook page? (I ask because I'm trying to get a head count of witnesses).

Yes, that's me. And no, it's not a "fantasy" as Sharkey put it. It's real. It exists on film somewhere, or at least it did in 1984!

Sharkey

Stoo said:
Looks like you can't remember that there's no "y" in the name, "Ke".:gun:

Normally I agree with you, Sharkey, but now you're being an egghead. What makes you so positive that the scene was never shown? Maybe you're jealous because you weren't forunate enough to see it? (If you ever do get to see it, the yolk will be on you!):p
You?re all CRACKED!

Spelliing errors?the last resort of the dying man! It?s ?fortunate,? and if anyone could produce a bit of proof that would be one thing. Maybe the egg scene was abducted by ancient aliens?

You all sound pathetic!

Because of the reconstructive nature of memory, some memories may be distorted through influences such as the incorporation of new information. There are also believed-in imaginings that are not based in historical reality; these have been called false memories, pseudo-memories and memory illusions. They can result from the influence of external factors, such as the opinion of an authority figure or information repeated in the culture. An individual with an internal desire to please, to get better or to conform can easily be affected by such influences.

False Memories Easily Created, Researchers Discover
About one-third of the people who were exposed to a fake print ad describing a visit to Disneyland and how they met and shook hands with Bugs Bunny said later they remembered or knew the event happened to them.
The scenario described in the ad never occurred because Bugs Bunny is a Warner Bros. cartoon character and wouldn't be featured in any Walt Disney Co. property, according to University of Washington memory researchers Jacquie Pickrell and Elizabeth Loftus.
Pickrell will make two presentations on the topic at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Society (APS) on Sunday (June 17) in Toronto and at a satellite session of the Society for Applied Research in Memory and Cognition in Kingston, Ontario, on Wednesday.
"The frightening thing about this study is that it suggests how easily a false memory can be created," said Pickrell, UW psychology doctoral student.

"It's not only people who go to a therapist who might implant a false memory or those who witness an accident and whose memory can be distorted who can have a false memory. Memory is very vulnerable and malleable. People are not always aware of the choices they make. This study shows the power of subtle association changes on memory."
The research is a follow-up to an unpublished study by Loftus, a UW psychology professor who is being honored by the APS this week with its William James Fellow Award for psychological research; Kathryn Braun, a visiting scholar at the Harvard Business School; and Rhiannon Ellis, a former UW undergraduate who is now a doctoral student at the University of Pittsburgh.
In the original study, 16 percent of the people exposed to a Disneyland ad featuring Bugs Bunny later thought they had really seen and met the cartoon rabbit.
In the new research, Pickrell and Loftus divided 120 subjects into four groups. The subjects were told they were going to evaluate advertising copy, fill out several questionnaires and answer questions about a trip to Disneyland.
* The first group read a generic Disneyland ad that mentioned no cartoon characters.
* The second group read the same copy and was exposed to a 4-foot-tall cardboard figure of Bugs Bunny that was casually placed in the interview room. No mention was made of Bugs Bunny.
* The third, or Bugs group, read the fake Disneyland ad featuring Bugs Bunny.
* The fourth, or double exposure group, read the fake ad and also saw the cardboard rabbit.
This time, 30 percent of the people in the Bugs group later said they remembered or knew they had met Bugs Bunny when they visited Disneyland and 40 percent of the people in the double exposure group reported the same thing.
"'Remember' means the people actually recall meeting and shaking hands with Bugs," explained Pickrell. "'Knowing' is they have no real memory, but are sure that it happened, just as they have no memory of having their umbilical cord being cut when they were born but know it happened.
"Creating a false memory is a process. Someone saying, 'I know it could have happened,' is taking the first step of actually creating a memory. If you clearly believe you walked up to Bugs Bunny, you have a memory."
In addition, Pickrell said there is the issue of the consequence of false memories, or the ripple effects. People in the experiment who were exposed to the false advertising were more likely to relate Bugs Bunny to other things at Disneyland not suggested in the ad, such as seeing Bugs and Mickey Mouse together or seeing Bugs in the Main Street Electrical Parade.
"We are interested in how people create their autobiographical references, or memory. Through this process they might be altering their own memories," Pickrell said. "Nostalgic advertising works in a similar manner.
"Hallmark, McDonald's and Disney have very effective nostalgic advertising that can change people's buying habits. You may not have had a great experience the last time you visited Disneyland or McDonald's, but the ads may inadvertently be creating the impression that they had a wonderful time and leaving viewers with that memory. If ads can get people to believe they had an experience they never had, that is pretty powerful.
"The bottom line of our study is that the phony ad is making the difference. Just casually reading a Bugs Bunny cartoon or some other incidental exposure doesn't mean you believe you met Bugs.
"The ad does."

Montana Smith

Sharkey said:
You’re all CRACKED!

Spelliing errors…the last resort of the dying man! It’s “fortunate,” and if anyone could produce a bit of proof that would be one thing. Maybe the egg scene was abducted by ancient aliens?

You all sound pathetic!

Because of the reconstructive nature of memory, some memories may be distorted through influences such as the incorporation of new information. There are also believed-in imaginings that are not based in historical reality; these have been called false memories, pseudo-memories and memory illusions. They can result from the influence of external factors, such as the opinion of an authority figure or information repeated in the culture. An individual with an internal desire to please, to get better or to conform can easily be affected by such influences.

False Memories Easily Created, Researchers Discover
About one-third of the people who were exposed to a fake print ad describing a visit to Disneyland and how they met and shook hands with Bugs Bunny said later they remembered or knew the event happened to them.
The scenario described in the ad never occurred because Bugs Bunny is a Warner Bros. cartoon character and wouldn't be featured in any Walt Disney Co. property, according to University of Washington memory researchers Jacquie Pickrell and Elizabeth Loftus.
Pickrell will make two presentations on the topic at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Society (APS) on Sunday (June 17) in Toronto and at a satellite session of the Society for Applied Research in Memory and Cognition in Kingston, Ontario, on Wednesday.
"The frightening thing about this study is that it suggests how easily a false memory can be created," said Pickrell, UW psychology doctoral student.

"It's not only people who go to a therapist who might implant a false memory or those who witness an accident and whose memory can be distorted who can have a false memory. Memory is very vulnerable and malleable. People are not always aware of the choices they make. This study shows the power of subtle association changes on memory."
The research is a follow-up to an unpublished study by Loftus, a UW psychology professor who is being honored by the APS this week with its William James Fellow Award for psychological research; Kathryn Braun, a visiting scholar at the Harvard Business School; and Rhiannon Ellis, a former UW undergraduate who is now a doctoral student at the University of Pittsburgh.
In the original study, 16 percent of the people exposed to a Disneyland ad featuring Bugs Bunny later thought they had really seen and met the cartoon rabbit.
In the new research, Pickrell and Loftus divided 120 subjects into four groups. The subjects were told they were going to evaluate advertising copy, fill out several questionnaires and answer questions about a trip to Disneyland.
* The first group read a generic Disneyland ad that mentioned no cartoon characters.
* The second group read the same copy and was exposed to a 4-foot-tall cardboard figure of Bugs Bunny that was casually placed in the interview room. No mention was made of Bugs Bunny.
* The third, or Bugs group, read the fake Disneyland ad featuring Bugs Bunny.
* The fourth, or double exposure group, read the fake ad and also saw the cardboard rabbit.
This time, 30 percent of the people in the Bugs group later said they remembered or knew they had met Bugs Bunny when they visited Disneyland and 40 percent of the people in the double exposure group reported the same thing.
"'Remember' means the people actually recall meeting and shaking hands with Bugs," explained Pickrell. "'Knowing' is they have no real memory, but are sure that it happened, just as they have no memory of having their umbilical cord being cut when they were born but know it happened.
"Creating a false memory is a process. Someone saying, 'I know it could have happened,' is taking the first step of actually creating a memory. If you clearly believe you walked up to Bugs Bunny, you have a memory."
In addition, Pickrell said there is the issue of the consequence of false memories, or the ripple effects. People in the experiment who were exposed to the false advertising were more likely to relate Bugs Bunny to other things at Disneyland not suggested in the ad, such as seeing Bugs and Mickey Mouse together or seeing Bugs in the Main Street Electrical Parade.
"We are interested in how people create their autobiographical references, or memory. Through this process they might be altering their own memories," Pickrell said. "Nostalgic advertising works in a similar manner.
"Hallmark, McDonald's and Disney have very effective nostalgic advertising that can change people's buying habits. You may not have had a great experience the last time you visited Disneyland or McDonald's, but the ads may inadvertently be creating the impression that they had a wonderful time and leaving viewers with that memory. If ads can get people to believe they had an experience they never had, that is pretty powerful.
"The bottom line of our study is that the phony ad is making the difference. Just casually reading a Bugs Bunny cartoon or some other incidental exposure doesn't mean you believe you met Bugs.
"The ad does."

Next you'll be telling us that Jimmy Stewart imagined Harvey!

(Though I did imagine seeing the cut scene of Jabba-as-a-man the first time I saw Star Wars on TV...)

We await the presentation of the evidence from whoever it is who has 'knowledge of the egg reality'. ;)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
That's pyschological bull!:mad: These people have real memories, how can they not be true.

All my memories are as clear as the moment I experienced them and not influenced by the media. It reminds me of my own egg memory...

...I remember the spider that lived outside our window. Orange body, green legs. Watched her build a web all summer, then one day there's a big egg in it...and a hundred baby spiders came out... and they ate her.

The egg scene is as real as my memory above.

Hanselation

Meanwhile I've watched the scene a lot of times in slow motion.
And I think, theoretical it could be possible that they shoot the egg scene.
See here:
couldbe.jpg

But ... I've seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in germany two times in the cinema in 1984, I saw it on VHS in 1986 (yellow cover) and all the other publications on VHS (Hollywood Collection, Trilogy Widescreen),DVDs and also the german TV-special with Ke Huy Quan. I was 17 years old when the promotion with Ke Huy Quan was shown, but I don't remember that there was shown the egg scene. And because I was already a Indiana Jones Fan that time, I think I would remember that.
Also because the music fits exactly in the well known present versions, I can't believe that the scene was inside of the movie.
If the egg scene was implemented, there would be a cut or at least a unharmonic shift in the soundtrack.

I will be impressed if someone proves me wrong. :cool:

This egg topic fits so nice into the upcoming easter days. :D

Last edited:

Indy's brother

Hanselation said:
Meanwhile I've watched the scene a lot of times in slow motion.
And I think, theoretical it could be possible that they shoot the egg scene.
See here:
couldbe.jpg

But ... I've seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in germany two times in the cinema in 1984, I saw it on VHS in 1986 (yellow cover) and all the other publications on VHS (Hollywood Collection, Trilogy Widescreen),DVDs and also the german TV-special with Ke Huy Quan. I was 17 years old when the promotion with Ke Huy Quan was shown, but I don't remember that there was shown the egg scene. And because I was already a Indiana Jones Fan that time, I think I would remember that.
Also because the music fits exactly in the well known present versions, I can't believe that the scene was inside of the movie.
If the egg scene was implemented, there would be a cut or at least a unharmonic shift in the soundtrack.

I will be impressed if someone proves me wrong. :cool:

This egg topic fits so nice into the upcoming easter days. :D

Great post Hanselation! I love your Easter angle on this VHS "Easter Egg"! Also, and I'm sure it's pure coincidence, but Kate Capshaw kind of has a chicken-y facial expression in that pic....as though she's physically in motion to hen-peck Indy with her beak.

If there is any truth to this, it will go down as the biggest easter egg in the series. (literally and figuratively for those that need it pointed out)