The Soundtracks Collection - Concord

twlightzone1205

emtiem said:
Finally managed to get hold of a DVD rip bootleg of the extended KOTCS score (39 tracks!)- there's some really top stuff in there; a shame they couldn't release more of it.

Totally agree. Still not my favorite, but hearing it complete and seeing the film several more times, I have found it to be a better score than I did on May 20th. The extended Jungle Chase is my favorite of the score.

emtiem

Yes, I'm very much enjoying the full version of Jungle Chase; much more exciting than the edited one on the album. Also the 'Dovchenko' track which introduces Indy is very nice and I'm a big fan of 'Spalko's Dossier' and 'Remembering Dad'. It's surprisingly good quality too.

The Golden Idol

twlightzone1205 said:
Totally agree. Still not my favorite, but hearing it complete and seeing the film several more times, I have found it to be a better score than I did on May 20th. The extended Jungle Chase is my favorite of the score.

May 20th? You saw it before the world premiere? ;)

Coronel Vogel

Well for me I didn't see any pitch/speed problems in Last Crusade(y) . On Raiders I think I'll replace all previously released tracks wth the DCC versions equalized. And finally Temple of Doom, I can fix many of those tracks using Mixcraft and work on a complete edit. But something I've been looking for is a tracklist for the complete score ad its sources as heard in the film, because with the original tracklist is quite difficult and so far no tracklist in the Internet mentions the "To Pankot Palace" overdub when the chorus and the instruments fade in as Indy approaches the Kali Statue. And for some tracks I don't know which are slower than should be:( ...

VP

Moderator Emeritus
The Golden Idol said:
May 20th? You saw it before the world premiere? ;)
That's when the soundtrack was released. Just got my copy of the collection today and been listening it all evening.

Luke Skywalker

twlightzone1205 said:
I know it wasn't by Williams, but does anyone know the name of the music heard during the Hitler rally in Last Crusade?

If you want to know, Williams composed music for that scene. Its the 1st half from the track called 'To the blimp'

twlightzone1205

Well, I for one am enjoying the boxset even with the omissions. Hey, it sets up future 2 disk sets to be released individually later on like RCA did with the Star Wars trilogy. Except that they'll change a few scenes in all of the films so some cues will be replaced with something like "Shanghai Rocks" for TOD.;)

michael

twlightzone1205 said:
Well, I for one am enjoying the boxset even with the omissions. Hey, it sets up future 2 disk sets to be released individually later on like RCA did with the Star Wars trilogy. Except that they'll change a few scenes in all of the films so some cues will be replaced with something like "Shanghai Rocks" for TOD.;)
Oh man, a 2 disk Temple of Doom would be amazing.

Disk 1:
Anything Goes
Indy Negotiates
Nightclub Brawl
Fast Streets of Shanghai
Map/Out of Fuel (film version)
Slalom on Mt. Humol
Indy and the Villagers
A Child Returns/Fortune and Glory
Short Round's Theme
The Scroll/To Pankot Palace
The Maharaja/The Feast
Nocturnal Activities
The Secret Passage
Bug Tunnel/Death Trap

Disk 2:
The Temple of Doom
Stealing the Stones
Children in Chains
True Believer/The Blood of Kali
Short Round Escapes
Saving Willie
Slave Children's Crusade/Short Round Helps
The Mine Car Chase
Water/Sword Trick
The Bridge/Broken Bridge/British Relief
Return to the Village/End Credits (film version)
---
Nightclub Brawl (alternate)
Map/Out of Fuel (alternate)
The Temple of Doom (alternate)
End Credits (alternate)

emtiem

Luke Skywalker said:
If you want to know, Williams composed music for that scene. Its the 1st half from the track called 'To the blimp'

I imagine he means 'Der Koniggratzer'; the source music heard playing.

muttjones

Does any of the tracks from ToD that are part of the nightclub scene, have the club piano music that you here as Indy walks down the stairs and as he sits down at Lao Che's table? Also is the Anything Goes music part of the Nightclub Brawl track like in the film?

thanks in advance (y)

AnImaginaryBoy

I was wondering that too. I love the little flourish of Anything Goes just before Indy appears on the scene. Such a shame it's not on the CD. :(

emtiem

That is available on one of the bootlegs out there.
I'm rather miffed that we don't get the proper end titles from Temple, myself. We get the return to the village bit, but that stops just as the titles are beginning and we don't get the film version of the titles for it to lead into. It's all fab, though.

phantom train

I bought this IJ "Complete Soundtracks" collection at "Best Buy" yesterday - Thanks to the previous poster who wrote that it was available there. I got the second-to last copy, and considered myself lucky to find even that. It was somewhat pricey at $60, but it was worth it.

Though I haven't had time to hear any of the CD's yet, I was extremely impressed by just the packaging - I liked the brown box with the gold hat and whip on the cover, and the individual CD packages were great. I also liked the booklet that came with this, which included all of the film photos and film production photos. It was obvious that the people who put this together spent a lot of time making it very oriented towards fans of the movies.

The only other IJ film soundtrack CD I have is the 1995 "Raiders of the Lost Ark" expanded soundtrack, which is excellent.
However, it looks like the "Raiders" soundtrack on this "Complete Soundtracks" collection is more in line with the correct order of the tracks in the film itself.

The one I am looking forward most to hearing is the TOD soundtrack, since I have wanted this for years but was never able to find it.

Anyway, I'm just glad these soundtracks are finally available to us fans who have been wanting them for a long time.

Whether or not you liked KOTCS, you have to admit that the attention the IJ franchise received in 2008 because of this new film was directly responsible for the release of a lot of merchandise like this IJ "Complete Soundtrack" collection - if there were no new film, I have a strong feeling we would probably still be waiting for these soundtracks, probably indefinitely.

IndyFan93

phantom train said:
Whether or not you liked KOTCS, you have to admit that the attention the IJ franchise received in 2008 because of this new film was directly responsible for the release of a lot of merchandise like this IJ "Complete Soundtrack" collection - if there were no new film, I have a strong feeling we would probably still be waiting for these soundtracks, probably indefinitely.

Very well-said. :D

phantom train

To add to my last post on the IJ "Complete Soundtrack" collection, I listened to all of the ROTLA soundtrack and most of the TOD soundtrack. Both were excellent, and it was great to hear the TOD soundtrack for the first time - I especially enjoyed "Anything Goes" :) I liked the fact that the soundtracks include the music in the order that it appeared in the films (unlike some of the other IJ soundtracks). Very, very well-done.

However, I did want to note that the liner notes that come with all of these soundtracks are very skimpy.
I'm comparing these to the liner notes that came with the superb 1995 ROTLA soundtrack, which were great. In these notes, each piece was explained in detail - i.e., it went over which scene the piece was played over, and in some cases detailed the instrumentation that was used, etc.

Conversely, the liner notes in these new soundtracks have very little text - just some introductions and comments, and a lot of pictures. This is just me, but I would have preferred liner notes like in the 1995 ROTLA soundtrack - however, I do realize that this may have been too much to ask for.
That all being said, as it now stands these soundtracks are superb, and I feel lucky to have them.

emtiem

Yeah, the notes are a little disappointing: there's even the same text printed in each. The music makes up for it, though.

Luke Skywalker

emtiem said:
Yeah, the notes are a little disappointing: there's even the same text printed in each.

Reason: they are the same booklets that the individual releases will have.

I suppose we'll get good booklets when they release the complete scores...

Phantom train, i suppose you already know but just in case, dont get rid of the 1995 Raiders since in contains Desert chase complete and correct pitch (i dont notice the last thing really).