Why does it have to be Commies?

|ZiR|

Hiot crackers, is this an old thread! I didn't realize how far back the Indy IV speculation went.

Dr.Sartorius

eroc said:
How about an RPG, Bob?

Plus being set in the cold war, Indy has plenty of justification in killing Soviets. Remember the saying, "Better dead than Red"?

You do know you're responding to something someone wrote 5 years ago, right?

eroc

exactly...nothing like traveling down memory lane to see everybody's perspective five years ago, and how it compares to the reality of today.

Adamwankenobi

According to David Koepp in the latest issue of Creative Screenwriting, when Lucas was doing research for the film, he discovered that Stalin was indeed interested in the crystal skulls.

marky_77

i think it's great the commies are involved. can't always have the nazi's all the time. it is set in 1957 to reflect indys age and is perfect for the commies to take a :whip: and a :gun: from indy...

Travis85

I don't think setting in the 50's would make it feel not Indiana Jones. Spielberg and Lucas were reluctant to use the Nazis again for Crusade because they didn't want to rehash the same villains, and Temple of Doom already felt different in a lot of ways to Raiders, but is still a good movie. The Soviets are probably the only entity big and powerful enough to be as threatening in the 50's as the Nazis were in the 30's.

Adamwankenobi

If anyone thinks Indy in the 50s is strange, this clip might put things into perspective. Try Indy in the 90s: :D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_sH54OVLDQc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_sH54OVLDQc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

;)

JerryKing

The apparatus did waste money and resources on investigating "telepathy", "remote viewing", "psychics" and other such idiocies, long before the West stumbled upon its own frauds like Uri Geller - but not in Stalin's times. If I recall correctly, it started when Nikita settled in.

(However, unlike in the West - with e.g. Geller - the definite upside of it all was that if a scamming thief was found out, he would not go on to have a prominent career with TV appearances and "psychic" shows thanks to cretins who would happily feed him, but instead he would... face serious consequences. :D Of course, back then most of the Eastern psychics seemed to genuinely believe that they had "powers", rather than consciously engaged in open scamming and thievery, the way Geller and most of the Western ones would do.)

Anyway, I suppose chasing aliens can be easily filed in the same drawer as wasting money on all the paranormal nonsense - and licentia poetica can safely allow one to move the events a few years earlier...

DiscoLad

Should've just dyed Harrison's hair, smiled, and go back to the early 40's at least he could've still had some nazi's and it would have made a little since with his age...But the 50's, come on! I don't like the way Harrison looks old and they did nothing to cover it. And I know that's what Steven wanted..bt come one..A little salt-n'-pepper woulda worked for me.