Henry Jones Jr. during Christmas time...

michael

I use the name Henry because when he's home, to me, that's who he is. Let's keep this pre-marriage, too. It's more...romantic I think.

Sooooo....What do you think our favorite archaeologist is up to during the holidays when he is not out on an adventure?

How many woman were on his list over the years? How important was Marion to him at these times?

Do you picture him as a Christmas Eve dinner guy or Christmas Day dinner guy?

Did he go to church?

Would it just be Marcus, Henry Sr. and Henry Jr. at the table? An nice roast, fine wine and conversation we can only dream of being apart of? What kind of gifts would be exchanged? A new fedora each year? New suits? New ties? Something more out of the ordinary?

Or maybe he had lonely Christmases, kept to himself, shoveled the snow, and got caught up on his studies and classwork. I hate to think that way, though. He's no scrooge.

Any input on how you think he celebrates the holiday?

I envision him having a Christmas Eve party at his home, students invited and Christmas day would be hangover recovery. Church on Christmas day, family/relations at home for an early afternoon dinner. Then in the evening he packs his bags for the trip to warmer climates for the rest of the school holiday...archaeology and adventure too!

...no surprise this is my regimen, except the warmer climes and archaeology

Stoo

We do know that Indy spent a wet Christmas 1916 deep in a rainy jungle of the Congo.:)

The Drifter

I could see Henry hosting a few Christmas parties with his friends with fine wines and mulled cider and a nice roast on the table. I'd say he knew how to cook pretty well after seeing so many different cuisines during his travels.
Maybe he'd pretend to be the perfect and happy host, but deep down he'd wonder how his dad was and if he was having a happy holiday (before Last Crusade). But, Marcus was always there and made him feel more at ease.
His holidays would become much more meaningful after he reconciled with his father. And maybe those too few Christmases before his father's death were the happiest in his life.

After Marcus and Henry Sr. died the holidays become empty to him, and he stopped celebrating. Christmas was just another day.
Sure, he might have went to parties and dates on this day, but deep down they were just excuses to get his mind from the past.
Until the events of KotCS that is.

tupogirl

He doesn't strike me as a big party guy. I think he'd celebrate in a subdued way, possibly with a lot of alcohol to mourn or forget all the loved ones he's lost (his mother, Ms Seymour, the general relationship with his father, Vicky, the girl who thought he was Swedish, Deidre, etc). If he was teaching, he'd slip off on some adventure. Plus I think he loses a fair amount of time according to the novels in all the weird places he ends up in.

I could see, if he had some spare cash, trying to help small children have a nicer Christmas.

Stoo, I have been wanting to watch that episode this Christmas, as well as the movie 'Joyeux Noel'.

Last edited:

michael

@Rocket Surgeon
I could definitely see Indy having a little bit too much to drink, showing some of the college girls how to crack a whip out in the frosty weather! Slurring a little, maybe? Nah, he's too classy. Definitely think he'd hit up some warm weather after the holiday though.

@Stoo
I just got all the Young Indy Volumes, and they are on my list of things to watch! I will definitely be super in the mood after watch the movies on USA this weekend. Haven't watched anything Indy in a while.

@Lonsome_Drifter
Fantastic post. Both happy and sad. A terrific view on what his Christmases would have been like. "His holidays would become much more meaningful after he reconciled with his father. And maybe those too few Christmases before his father's death were the happiest in his life." Amazing.

@tupogirl
After the events in Temple of Doom, I'm almost sure he would have his heart in the right place every year when it comes to donating!

I picture Indy missing Marion during the holiday time. Dinner with Marcus and his dad has to be a given. What would he get Marcus for Christmas?

tupogirl

I skimmed your first post really fast the first time, and just reread it. I think he'd be open to what others had going on, including students and their families, Marcus, maybe his dad.

I think he would give Marcus something that Marcus had recently misplaced: a new wallet, handkerchiefs, etc. Something personal but needed. I think Marcus would be kind of hard to buy for, especially if he's always bailing Indy out financially.

Michael, I hope you enjoy Young Indy! And the episode that Stoo talks about also shows Indy's compassionate side towards children.

Last edited:

Goodeknight

Across the board, I think Drifter is spot on with his take on an Indy Christmas, especially the father/son/Marcus bits.

The Drifter said:
Maybe he'd pretend to be the perfect and happy host, but deep down he'd wonder how his dad was and if he was having a happy holiday (before Last Crusade). But, Marcus was always there and made him feel more at ease.
His holidays would become much more meaningful after he reconciled with his father. And maybe those too few Christmases before his father's death were the happiest in his life.

After Marcus and Henry Sr. died the holidays become empty to him, and he stopped celebrating. Christmas was just another day.
Sure, he might have went to parties and dates on this day, but deep down they were just excuses to get his mind from the past.
Until the events of KotCS that is.

I'd also have to guess that Christ-Mass took on some special meaning after drinking from the cup of Christ, and witnessing his father's miraculous healing. How much more Christ-Mass-ey can you get? If he and his dad did go a Christmas Eve mass, Indy would have whispered, "That cup doesn't look like the real thing at all." Then his dad would have shushed him.

Henry W Jones

I personally believe Indy would leave the first night of his holiday break on a plane to head to some exotic location to start another archaeological dig/adventure. I don't think he's anti-Christmas but I think during that small window off from teaching he would be more interested in making a new discovery than getting a new pair of slippers under the tree.

Montana Smith

goodeknight said:
I'd also have to guess that Christ-Mass took on some special meaning after drinking from the cup of Christ, and witnessing his father's miraculous healing. How much more Christ-Mass-ey can you get? If he and his dad did go a Christmas Eve mass, Indy would have whispered, "That cup doesn't look like the real thing at all." Then his dad would have shushed him.

(n) :sick:

Henry W Jones said:
I personally believe Indy would leave the first night of his holiday break on a plane to head to some exotic location to start another archaeological dig/adventure. I don't think he's anti-Christmas but I think during that small window off from teaching he would be more interested in making a new discovery than getting a new pair of slippers under the tree.

(y) :whip:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Henry W Jones said:

Yeah, that's almost certainly true. I suspect any Christmases he had after his reconciliation with his father were much as The Drifter suggests, and the same goes for any he had happened to be home for prior to 1938. It's precisely for this reason, though, that he would be even more likely to want to get away whenever he can, to avoid a painful time of year.

goodeknight said:
Across the board, I think Drifter is spot on with his take on an Indy Christmas, especially the father/son/Marcus bits.
I don't see Indy not celebrating Christmas and I especially don't think it became empty, especially considering:

goodeknight said:
...Christ-Mass took on some special meaning after drinking from the cup of Christ, and witnessing his father's miraculous healing.

Indiana Jones would have to be a cardboard cut out for that to be the case.;)

goodeknight said:
How much more Christ-Mass-ey can you get?
:hat:

I can see Indy being sad that his nuclear family was thinning but he's never struck me as being more than someone who checked in on them...certainly not dependent of them, even emotionally.

Henry W Jones said:
I personally believe Indy would leave the first night of his holiday break on a plane to head to some exotic location to start another archaeological dig/adventure.
I still think he observed...entertained his students as a proper professor would, THEN left for the break.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I don't see Indy not celebrating Christmas and I especially don't think it became empty, especially considering:

alien_nativity_card-p137571323461479883z85p0_400.jpg

Rocket Surgeon said:
I still think he observed...entertained his students as a proper professor would, THEN left for the break.

You mean he would have attended the college Christmas party and seduced a few students?

Montana Smith said:
..."Merry Mythmas"...
Wow, you're such a grinch when you know which buttons to push!:p

Montana Smith said:
You mean he would have attended the college Christmas party and seduced a few students?

He would have thrown his own, (and maybe attended certain collegue's parties)...

...some habits die hard, and after all we're all sinners.

Even you my "good" man.:p

Goodeknight

I get where you're coming from, Rocket, with your thoughts on my post. To clarify, I think some of the pre-LC Christmases would have been a bit lonely. But after he reconciled with his father (and witnessed the miraculous events of LC) then Christmas would have been much more meaningful. Both emotionally and spiritually. I don't think Indy's the dependent type, but it's practically inevitable that a globe-trotting adventurer would take inventory around Christmas. He'd look around at all the priceless artifacts and realize that true treasure might indeed be time spent with family and friends.

After getting married, he could enjoy watching his son open up his new Toledo rapier Christmas morning.

Fortune and glory vs. quality time/treasures in heaven.

I'd say a good reference point for the juxtaposition of his life before and after LC would be Family Man (with Nicholas Cage). Great movie.

Junior Jones

The Drifter said:

Henry W Jones said:
I personally believe Indy would leave the first night of his holiday break on a plane to head to some exotic location to start another archaeological dig/adventure.

According to the Find Your Fate Adventure Lost Treasure of Sheba, Indy spent the first Christmas after reuniting with his dad seaching for treasure and rescuing a friend in Ethiopia.

The Drifter

Junior Jones said:
According to the Find Your Fate Adventure Lost Treasure of Sheba, Indy spent the first Christmas after reuniting with his dad seaching for treasure and rescuing a friend in Ethiopia.

That may be the case (are those books even canon?). I just wrote what I think Indy would do during the holidays. I honestly don't see him always traveling the world every day of the year. I think after the events of LC, Christmas would hold a new meaning for Indy. This was really the first time he had a loving family since his mother died. (He left home at an early age, and before that his father was cold and distant.)
His father had changed his attitude and so had Indy. I think after that, Indy learned that family is more important than anything.

I just don't see him traveling on a treasure-hunt at Christmas after that, until his father died.

The Drifter said:
I honestly don't see him always traveling the world every day of the year.
Does anyone? I'd say he arranges to visit, join, or start digs during vacations...though because of Young Indy we might like to think everything in his life is an adventure.

Regarding school and Christmas/Winter break, today many schools have class right up to December 23.

My Professors usually scheduled parties after exams...but there were exceptions.

Any of you out there go to a teacher's Christmas Party?

The Drifter said:
...are those books even canon?
Nope. Not until it's in a film.