Where did Indy get his military gear?

Goodeknight

Indy's certainly a man of the world, but how did he come up with each specific piece of gear.

* One of his revolvers is British issue.
* Pants British officer pinks. (British right?)
* Bag is British.

Most notably, in Crystal Skull he's using a German alpine backpack. How did he come up with that one? In his time it would have been recognized by at least some former military folks as a German (or Nazi) bag. That would have been kind of edgy.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
goodeknight said:
Most notably, in Crystal Skull he's using a German alpine backpack. How did he come up with that one? In his time it would have been recognized by at least some former military folks as a German (or Nazi) bag. That would have been kind of edgy.

Maybe it's a gift from Heinrich.

Seriously though, weren't captured items of that sort common souvenirs of war? It's also 12 years later.

Montana Smith

goodeknight said:
Indy's certainly a man of the world, but how did he come up with each specific piece of gear.

* One of his revolvers is British issue.
* Pants British officer pinks. (British right?)
* Bag is British.

The respirator bag was anachronistic, but I might be right in thinking that the US Army had been using British issue equipment, such as the Brodie patttern helmet.

I don't know if the trousers were specifically British, but they're noted as being WWII style.

Checking an Indy chronology for the time between Raiders and TLC might give a clue to where he might have picked up the Webley (unless he already had it).

The Gebirgsjäger backpack could well have come through surplus. The Russians were good capitalists, reconditioning captured German equipment and selling it back to the west (including back to Germany).

Attila the Professor said:
Seriously though, weren't captured items of that sort common souvenirs of war? It's also 12 years later.
Lots of Lugers game back, its so common, from wine to wives, (should really have put an earlier alphabetical example but wine and wives go together so well). M*A*S*H* did an early episode where Radar was shipping a Jeep home part by part.
Montana Smith said:
The respirator bag was anachronistic...
He got a pre production bag, a tester so he could recommend or reject them to the brass. Explains his custom strap...:p

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
M*A*S*H* did an early episode where Radar was shipping a Jeep home part by part.

I just told someone about that episode a week or two ago.

Rocket Surgeon said:
He got a pre production bag, a tester so he could recommend or reject them to the brass. Explains his custom strap...:p

hmmmm

Orellana

You've all seen the YIJC, I hope. And he got most of those from WW2 at least the satchel (it was a MKVII gas mask bag before that.) And then he probably got the rest from an army surplus store or borrowed them, if you know what I mean.(y)