Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 11-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #826
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
The surround highlighted the running water in the temple as they approach the light at the start, sounds in Cairo around the streets and in the bar. Stuff I hadn't noticed as much before.
Those were the main "new" sounds that I heard, too. The water in the temple and the sounds in the Cairo bar. One of the sound effects in the bar seemed to be someone shuffling a deck of cards. I also noticed stuff with the truck's engine during the desert chase.
Quote:
Seeing it on a cinema also highlighted the special effects, I never noticed before that the plane they board is a matte painting I assume? Can't believe I never noticed that in all the years of watching it.
Surprised that you didn't know about this shot. The plane & people boarding it were filmed on land in an empty lot so the background is a matte painting. The dock & water were shot separately and then superimposed on top. Pans of water were put in place so that light reflections would flicker underneath the wings. It's a marvelous combination and the fact that you never noticed until now, is a testament to ILM's craft.

When you go to "Doom", sit in the middle of the theatre for the fullest experience of the audio. Have fun!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #827
AndyLGR
IndyFan

I went to see TOD tonight. First of all I think the passage of time has been kind to it in my eyes, because I'm not now comparing it to Raiders like I used to when TOD first came out. I never got to see it on the cinema so I was really looking forward to it and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had a pleasant surprise in that it was the Blu ray version they showed, (i think), as I haven't watched the Blu ray all the way through. But the uncut torture scene I thought was much more intense than the one I've got used to seeing over the last 30 years. The addition of Indy telling them to leave shorty alone as he was whipped stuck out. All in all that section of the film from discovering the temple to Indy being converted was better for being uncut IMO, much more menacing. Oh, and I'm sure additional screams were added as Indy was changing as the black sleep took hold.

Soundtrack wise the screams of the children from the mine was probably the major thing that stood out as you say stoo.

On the big screen the matte paintings of the village and the palace looked very convincing considering the age of the film. Although obviously some of the other effects don't hold up as well now.

For some reason I found willie and short round less annoying this time round too, and Harrison is at the top of his game I think.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #828
AndyLGR
IndyFan

To complete the original trilogy I went to see TLC last night. This is the only one of the originals that I saw in the cinema when it came out.

Picture wise and soundtrack wise there was nothing that jumped out as being more noticeable this time around.......... apart from Elsa's nipples when she comes out of the bathroom in Venice

The film got some real belly laughs from the people in attendance, and in all the places where the humour is intended. In particular some of the Marcus scenes.

I think this film is still my second favourite behind ROTLA, its in a similar vein and I think after the darkness of TOD that was an intentional ploy. Connery is very good in it. The screen relationship between him and Indy I still think is the films core. One of my biggest criticisms has always been the use of Marcus and Sallah in this, with too many stupid moments. But I didn't feel that way last night. I just enjoyed the ride

Obviosuly some of the sets look too studio bound and it seemed more noticeable on the big screen, in particular the temple at the end and some of the effects have dated too, but as with the other 2, it has a charm and quality that other imitators have tried and failed to emulate. I still feel the ending is a perfect way to end the series and possibly the end bond (no pun intended) between father and son is a very satisfying resolution for me.

To summarise it was great to see the 3 films on the cinema, it really hits home what a good quality series it was and still is. I noticed how much detail you can miss when you're only watching them on a tv screen. It also highlights the quality of the cinematography and how well some of the shots are composed.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #829
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Not the Trilogy. Or even KOTCS...

Bad Movie Night SF will be presenting Young Indiana Jones: Espionage Escapades during Lucas Month in June 2014:

http://darkroomsf.com/#bmnnow
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #830
HenryJunior
IndyFan

Raiders of the Lost Ark

When:
January 18th, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Where:
Pollack Tempe Cinemas
Tempe, Az

It's January's movie for the monthly Film Program "Cult Classics" in Phoenix. Check it out if you're in Arizona or willing to make the journey.

Buy tickets on their website:
http://www.cultclassicsaz.com/

They've also got deals for Posters and T-Shirts unique to the screening.

HenryJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #831
Raiders fan
IndyFan

Indy Temple of Doom screening Feb26th So Cal

ArcLight Theaters in Hollywood and at other of their venues will be screening Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The Hollywood screening will be at the Cinerama Dome @8pm February 26th. Tickets are available thru ArcLight theaters.
Raiders fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #832
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Cool but use search engine next time. A thread for this already exist,
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=18467
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #833
Stoo
IndyFan

Raiders in San Jose

This screening sounds interesting with a "Fun Pack" and "in-movie surprises":

---
"Raiders of the Lost Ark"
Sunday, March 30 at 7:00pm

The Retro Dome
3161 Olsen Drive, San Jose, California
408-404-7711

Join us for a one-night-only screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark, presented as an interactive quote-along by The Retro Dome as we say farewell to Century 21, Century 22 and Century 23. With programming scheduled to cease in all three of these venues at the end of March 2014, this is going to be the movie event of the season.

6:30pm Seating begins; guests are encouraged to arrive early to queue up for desired seating 7:00pm Welcome and Pre-show Activities

7:20pm Showtime: Advance reservations required to ensure seating and receive a Fun Pack. Fun pack includes props to go along with the movie. Other in-movie surprises await. Costumes or themed dress always welcome.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #834
Moedred
Administrator

http://www.genesiscinema.co.uk/comingsoon.php
Quote:
INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM: 30TH ANNIVERSARY SCREENING + EXCLUSIVE Q&A
Genesis Cinema and Soundstage Events present this special event to mark thirty years since the release of the second Indiana Jones film. Following a screening of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, there'll be an exclusive interview with its producer, Robert Watts, and its art director, Alan J Cassie.
Robert Watts was also the associate producer of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He also worked closely with George Lucas as a producer on the original Star Wars trilogy. Robert was also the producer of the groundbreaking Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
As well as Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Alan J Cassie was the art director on Dragonslayer; Patriot Games, also starring Harrison Ford; The Saint; The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Muppet Treasure Island.
Sunday September 14th 3pm / £20
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:14 AM   #835
digitalfreaknyc
IndyFan

Raiders is being screened next month as a part of the AMC theaters classics series.
digitalfreaknyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #836
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

The Clay Theater in San Francisco will be screening Temple of Doom over the Memorial Day Weekend. For everybody else, that's May 23rd, 24th, and 25th. Midnight showings every night.

Clay Theater
2261 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415) 561-9921

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #837
Phlip
IndyFan

Any screenings in England?
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #838
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
The Clay Theater in San Francisco will be screening Temple of Doom over the Memorial Day Weekend.

Yay! Just a few blocks from my house. Found a babysitter. Will be there with a fedora on.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #839
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Raiders is being screened next month as a part of the AMC theaters classics series.
More details here:
https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/c...f-the-lost-ark
Old 06-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #840
Moedred
Administrator

http://www.o-cinema.org/event/indian...th-anniversary

Temple of Doom, July 29, Miami.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:56 AM   #841
Stoo
IndyFan

Thumbs up Original 3 in Montreal

18-24 July 2014 - ALL THREE EVERY DAY (except the 18th which is not showing "Temple")
Each film advertised as: "NEW DIGITAL 2K RESTORATION - Original English Version"

Cinéma du Parc
3575 Avenue du Parc
Montréal, QC, H2X 3P9
514-281-1900

http://www.cinemaduparc.com/english/affichee18juil.php

The cinema is a 2 minute walk from my place (right beside my local grocery store)...and I'm in town! WooHoo!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #842
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Not a cinema showing, but Raiders gets it annual showing at xmas on 28th Dec on BBC1 here in the UK.

Raiders really is a film I associate with this time of the year after its premiere on terrestrial TV on ITV on xmas night, which was a massive TV event. I reckon if memory serves me correct that it must be 30 years ago this year in fact.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #843
micsteam
IndyFan

That is very cool AndyLGR !!! Enjoy !! and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family and to all here !!
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:50 AM   #844
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsteam
That is very cool AndyLGR !!! Enjoy !! and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family and to all here !!
Thanks.

In fact all 4 films are on consecutive days beginning 28th dec.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #845
Stoo
IndyFan

Post "Raiders" in Montreal

"Raiders" playing for 3 nights in downtown Montreal this August as part of a 'Summer Cinema Classics" event. The venue is not a small, repertory cinema but a huge Cineplex with super comfortable seats. It will be in English.

Scotiabank Theatre
977 Sainte-Catherine St. West
Montreal, Quebec
H3B 4W3
514-842-0549

Old 08-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #846
IndyBuff
IndyFan

My wife and I went to see The Last Crusade here in mid-Missouri on Sunday afternoon. They're doing a flashback cinema series this summer and Crusade was one of the selections. Now all I need to see is Temple of Doom on the big screen and I will have seen them all.

They'll be showing it on Wednesday night as well.

http://www.flashbackcinema.net/participating-theatres
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #847
AndyLGR
IndyFan

It's Xmas and it's that time of year for the traditional showing of Raiders on BBC1. Watching it now.

Just noticed a strange edit, in the usual version when Barranca hits the floor Belloq steps over him and speaks to Indy. In this version Barranca hits the floor and it cuts to Belloqs lines as he's standing over Indy.

Last edited by AndyLGR : 12-27-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #848
pjvader
IndyFan

Quote:
It's Xmas and it's that time of year for the traditional showing of Raiders on BBC1. Watching it now.

Just noticed a strange edit, in the usual version when Barranca hits the floor Belloq steps over him and speaks to Indy. In this version Barranca hits the floor and it cuts to Belloqs lines as he's standing over Indy.
some weird cuts in this version they cut the line "adios sapito" too but still showed the body! not seen any further yet but bizarre thing to cut
pjvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:25 AM   #849
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

A quick heads up: All four movies are available on Hulu's streaming service if you subscribe. Of course, putting a Blu-ray into your player might be just as easy!
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #850
mattzilla2010
IndyFan

Caught a theatrical screening of Last Crusade last night, meaning I've now seen every Indy movie in a theater! (yay)
mattzilla2010 is offline   Reply With Quote