Herbert Johnson 14 12.07%
Christy's 8 6.90%
David Morgan 3 2.59%
Other 58 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #101
twlightzone1205
IndyFan

I'm planning on getting a grey Akubra this fall.

But I can't decide on Moonstone or Carbon Grey.
twlightzone1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #102
tpeterson06
IndyFan

The Penman Hat

I've had three. The first was a Todds/Coyle's Downtowner - which while good was not quite the shape I was looking for. The next hat I bought was some higher quality ( maybe Stetson?? ) Indiana Jones licensed one, which I still will wear on occasion.

However, once I bought up to a Penman, I knew I had found my hat for life. John Penman makes a stunningly beautiful perfect hat. The quality is evident even when viewed at a distance. The version I chose was his "Temple" in 100% beaver.

First off I must say that total screen accuracy is not as important to me as I love the era as well as Indiana Jones - along with others such as Bogart, etc...

Having said that, John Penman's hat are the MOST screen accurate I've ever seen. From the moment you put it on - which is made just for you - the fit slides right on like an old friend and it just looks like the "Jones" hat you see on the screen. It is rich in brown beaver, the hat band is actual vintage ribbon, and the shape is classic spot on.

I can recommend Penman hats to any fedora fan out there who wants that perfect hat that they will wear for life. John is a very knowledgable and easy guy to work with, we had a couple of phone discussions on what I wanted and about 4 months later he sent me a message it was complete.

Let me just say that the 4 months are worth it!!!
tpeterson06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #103
micsteam
IndyFan

John is absolutely the best !!! I'm soo glad you're happy with your hat. John Penman is very passionate about his craft and the quality shows !! When you guys are ready (this goes to all members and readers of this thread) to purchase a fedora you need to ask yourself why do you want to purchase a fedora, Indy or otherwise ?? Is it just to have a knick knack momento or do you really want a screen accurate representation or to purchase a stylish piece of our past ?? Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not judging anybody for what their financial expenses will allow (I'm in the ditches with you too) but sometimes (if you are passionate about what you want) saving for the right hat ( in this case the correct term is fedora) and using this forum and some others will point you to the right direction of someone who brings back a piece of our fashion history that has been lost for sometime. I've personally dealt with John and he is quite aknowledgable and very passionate about what he does, you won't be dissapointed !!! Also I have dealt with Steve Delk at Adventurebilt Hat Company and he is excellent, I own a Raiders fedora made by him and it is a piece of art as well. I mean afterall Steve Delk made the hats for Crystal Skull, he's that good !! Anybody that has any questions please feel free to pm me or ask here on the thread, I'll do the best I can to help.
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #104
ListenLiveLong
IndyFan

I don't really know the brand name of mine, but it is officially licensed and has the Indiana Jones logo on it.
ListenLiveLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #105
IndyJoey
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListenLiveLong
I don't really know the brand name of mine, but it is officially licensed and has the Indiana Jones logo on it.

That would be a Dorfman Pacific
IndyJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #106
ListenLiveLong
IndyFan

Why thank you. I now know what I have. =D Does anybody else happen to own this?
ListenLiveLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #107
micsteam
IndyFan

If you check the members graph above this thread it looks like 22 members own the Dorfman Pacific hat that you have. It is widely sold on the internet and I beleive through Lucasfilm as well as the Disney parks. I live near Disney World where the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular is at Disney Studios and they are popular.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #108
Mr. Fusion
IndyFan

I recently purchased a Garrison SOC style Raiders hat in rabbit felt. I am very much looking forward to getting it. This is going to be a tough couple of months wait.
Mr. Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #109
micsteam
IndyFan

Mr. Fusion you will be very happy with your purchase, Mr. Garrison is a fine hat maker. I belong to Club Obi Wan and he has quite a following there and I've personally seen his work and he makes an exceptional hat !!!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #110
Indy Scout 117
IndyFan

ok i have a question...i have bought several fedoras i use on outdoor adventures, and ive had one problem with all of them: they can get ruined in the rain. they are all wool felt. what can make a good Indy fedora not get ruined in the rain?

(im afraid someone is going to say "fur felt hats arent going to get ruined" but they are super expensive! )
Indy Scout 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #111
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Scout 117
ok i have a question...i have bought several fedoras i use on outdoor adventures, and ive had one problem with all of them: they can get ruined in the rain. they are all wool felt. what can make a good Indy fedora not get ruined in the rain?

(im afraid someone is going to say "fur felt hats arent going to get ruined" but they are super expensive! )

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!" "Then don't do that."

I believe you have your answer. Fur is more resilient - at least, you can take it to a haberdasher and have it re-shaped.

There are some waterproofing materials, but I don't know if anyone who cares enough has tried one on a wool fedora.
InexorableTash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #112
HenryJunior
IndyFan

Unless somebody knows of some strange alternative, invest in Fur Felt. Even a cheaper mix like the Standard FEDIV is vastly better than a wool Hat.
HenryJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #113
Indy Scout 117
IndyFan

haha good to know thanks guys!
Indy Scout 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #114
Spectre
IndyFan

I own two.
The first I ever got over a decade ago---was an Akubra Federation. Still have it, and love it!
My second, is a Todd's Downtowner--lover that one, too.
Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #115
S. Dakota Jones
IndyFan

Got my first fedora the other day, a Todd's downtowner.

Still plan on getting a beaver fedora someday....just like I know I'm going to end up getting a Wested AND a Todd's jacket, just a matter of which one first(which is what I'm debating now).
S. Dakota Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #116
Sea Monarch
IndyFan

Location: In a canyon, opening up an Ark of whoopa## on some goosestepping morons
Always loved the look of the 30's-40's period, not only because of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Wore my first fedora's even in Jr. High, and to the premiere of Last Crusade. First Fedora I could get my hands on, was a Berman's Brown Leather Fedora. Though I loved this hat, always wished I could find a more screen accurate hat back then. Later on, I have owned 2 of the $40-$50 Wool felt Indy licensed hats, and one Beaver fur Indy licensed hat. Planning on buying more hats, and more screen accurate hats, soon.
Sea Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #117
indyclone25
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Dakota Jones
Got my first fedora the other day, a Todd's downtowner.

Still plan on getting a beaver fedora someday....just like I know I'm going to end up getting a Wested AND a Todd's jacket, just a matter of which one first(which is what I'm debating now).
if you like the look from raiders , i suggest a todd's jacket, it looks some spot for the beginning of raiders as indy is looking for the idol ....
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #118
Tibor
IndyFan

Herbert Johnson x3 (1984ish, 1987ish, 1989ish)
Herbert Johnson - Fedoraraiders SOC
Herbert Johnson - Magnoli rebash
Federation - Fedoraraiders SOC
Penman's
Steele and Jones x2
Garrison

Tibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #119
kongisking
IndyFan

Still lament the fact people my age can't wear a fedora in public and not look like a doofus. Stupid fashion standards changing through the ages...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #120
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Still lament the fact people my age can't wear a fedora in public and not look like a doofus. Stupid fashion standards changing through the ages...

Don't subscribe to the dictates of popular culture and just do what you want to do.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #121
micsteam
IndyFan

- Adventurebilt Steve Delk Raiders in Beaver
- working on a Penman Raidersin either beaver or rabbit
Old 03-27-2014, 12:45 AM   #122
jsarino
IndyFan

I picked "Other" because I currently have a Dorfman Pacific (IJ559), which got dirty when I wore it for a sandmine obstacle course race last month (dressed as Indy of course ), but it cleaned off easily (see a pic of me wearing it in the Newbies section). I have a Akubra Federation IV (Deluxe in brown) en route...should be getting it in another week or so.

Would love to get an Adventurebilt or Penman, which incidentally I did talk to John Penman a couple of weeks back, just before I went the other direction with the Akubra. I may get it in the near future..."Maybe, but not today."

Last edited by jsarino : 03-27-2014 at 01:03 AM.
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #123
micsteam
IndyFan

Well jsarino the AB and Penman fedoras are quite expensive and I hear you, John (Penman ) Doesn't take it personally because we all started with humble beginnings in this hobby, but when you are ready there is not better Indiana Jones hat makes than the two of them and I'm sure you know Steve Delk/AdventureBilt made the fedoras for Ford for the last movie and quite frankly were the best hats since Raiders. Enjoy and good luck with the new Akubra !!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #124
jsarino
IndyFan

Thanks, micsteam! Incidentally, the Akubra arrived today, and it looks great! It is slightly loose to fit (they had told me they run a 1/2 size smaller), but they also sent me a foam fitting ring to make up for some of that space.

I need to be a bit brave and will work on shaping the hat this weekend. I'd rather send it to a hattery in the area, but the ones I've checked have a two week turnaround.
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:51 AM   #125
HenryJunior
IndyFan

It's not as hard as it may seem, besides I always thought putting in your own bash makes it YOURS, not some other guy who puts it in. I didn't use steam on my hat for bashing, just fingers and time (it can take a day or two for the shape to hold real well). My biggest advice is to make sure you have everything lined up right so it's not off-center. Looking at pictures helps, remember the shape changes quite a bit from film to film, so figure out what you like.

The loose fit is ok, sweat and sunlight is gonna help mold the hat to your head shape. My head is till growing a bit so I had to order mine a little big, but it's fitting much better now. Don't be afraid of hurting it, I squashed my hat, punched it and sat on it and looks great. ONE THING though, is being rough with the hat can tear the glue from the lining on the inside.

Have fun, I hope your Akubra works out well
HenryJunior is offline   Reply With Quote