TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Fanwork and Activities
User Name
Password

Old 04-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #26
Stoo
IndyFan

14 Down - 16 to Go

BINGO! Again, good stuff, James! The funny thing is that I was just coming here to post Harry Carey and Sir Cedric Hardwicke as clues. What an eerie coincidence!

Hardwicke is my personal favourite Quatermain as his portrayal is much closer to Haggard's description. The '31 version of "Trader Horn" was used very extensively and probably the 2nd most raided film behind "Secret of the Incas". The vine-swing shot is priceless. Now that most of the major players have been solved, I'll do a breakdown of all the short, unspoken for clips to help make it easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Byrne
I have seen DARK OF THE SUN, and used to own it on video, but I have got rid of them all (about 4,000) because they were taking up too much room. There was was some titles too, and many rare ones, but the wife forced me to get rid of them all - or face the consequences!
Nice to know about the "Musketeers" DVDs. Good ol' Marion Morrison - oops - I mean John Wayne. "Dark of the Sun" is a keeper (with a fantastic score to boot).

I can completely sympathize with your plight because my girlfriend gives me grief for my film collection all too often. What a man will do for love. After copying as much rare stuff as possible onto DVD, I'm in the long process of re-purchasing the remainder. 4000?!? WOW! That's incredible! I don't have even nearly half as much. How did you get rid of them? All of my VHS tapes are in storage.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #27
James Byrne
IndyFan

Hi stoo
I now regret getting rid of some of those videos ... just wished I had the space to store them ... but it became very difficult to find a title when we wanted to watch a particular video. There was some exceedingly rare old British movies from the 1940's-50's that haven't resurfaced on dvd, so I now really regret my hasty "clear-out" on the wife's orders!
I donated quite a lot to Oxfam, but they weren't allowed to accept anything taped off the BBC, even though I had made some pretty decent covers for them.

Btw, I was mistaken when I told you that the John Wayne serial THE THREE MUSKETEERS is on dvd. The three dvd serial is actually called HURRICANE EXPRESS.
James Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:02 AM   #28
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Hi stoo
I now regret getting rid of some of those videos ... just wished I had the space to store them ... but it became very difficult to find a title when we wanted to watch a particular video. There was some exceedingly rare old British movies from the 1940's-50's that haven't resurfaced on dvd, so I now really regret my hasty "clear-out" on the wife's orders!
I donated quite a lot to Oxfam, but they weren't allowed to accept anything taped off the BBC, even though I had made some pretty decent covers for them.

I know the pain of remembering things I wish I hadn't disposed of...

As for locating particular titles in your own collection, my DVD collection is well overdue for alphabetical reorganization!

There is still some obscure law that says you can only keep recordings from TV for a certain length of time, but it's one of those things that nobody's ever going to bother about, unless you're trying to make a profit from them. Oxfam wouldn't want to fall foul of that.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #29
James Byrne
IndyFan

Montana
I had to dump hundreds of those "unofficial videos" in the skip, which broke my heart in a weird kind of way.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 AM   #30
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Montana
I had to dump hundreds of those "unofficial videos" in the skip, which broke my heart in a weird kind of way.

I understand that, but then videos were so big and bulky to store. It's bad enough with DVDs, which I'm always buying at car boot sales. There's something special about having all those worlds existing on shiny discs, so much so that I can rarely part with any. Hence my need to reorganize so I can actually remember what I've got!

Stoo's obsession with the old classics is making me want to broaden my search when I'm looking at DVDs...
Old 04-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #31
James Byrne
IndyFan

Yes, Stoo's collection of rare vintage jungle movies is amazing!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #32
Stoo
IndyFan

Thanks, guys. There are even more that I wanted to include but couldn't fit them in. Will comment on your conversation from the previous page later but for now...

Here’s a clue to another title. A bit unfair since it’s UK specific but James seems to be the only one left playing so I suppose it doesn’t really matter. (James Byrne IS...The Last Man Standing!)

CLUE: The close-up shots of the feet representing Indy stepping between the trigger stones is from a b/w film. Footage from the finale of this movie was used in a UK television commercial for Carlsberg Beer. (If this doesn’t help, I could tell you whose feet they are.)
Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #33
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Thanks, guys. There are even more that I wanted to include but couldn't fit them in. Will comment on your conversation from the previous page later but for now...

Here’s a clue to another title. A bit unfair since it’s UK specific but James seems to be the only one left playing so I suppose it doesn’t really matter. (James Byrne IS...The Last Man Standing!)

CLUE: The close-up shots of the feet representing Indy stepping between the trigger stones is from a b/w film. Footage from the finale of this movie was used in a UK television commercial for Carlsberg Beer. (If this doesn’t help, I could tell you whose feet they are.)

Ice-Cold in Alex? Couldn't get much further from the jungle, though!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #34
James Byrne
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Ice-Cold in Alex? Couldn't get much further from the jungle, though!

ICE COLD IN ALEX was shown in Holsten beer adverts - not Carlsberg, Montana. you have me stumped Stoo, I need another clue, mate.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #35
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
ICE COLD IN ALEX was shown in Holsten beer adverts - not Carlsberg, Montana. you have me stumped Stoo, I need another clue, mate.

I thought of Ice-Cold, as it was Carlsberg they drank in the bar at the end.

Carlsberg also used the film in their own advert as a retaliation for Holsten Pils taking credit for the lager in the original:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice-Cold_in_Alex

Quote:
The final scene, in which Mills' character finally gets his glass of lager, was reportedly filmed some weeks after the rest of the film, at Elstree Studios. Real lager had to be used to 'look right', and Mills had to drink numerous glassfuls until the shots were finished, and was "a little 'heady'" by the end.

It was said by Sylvia Syms that (Danish) Carlsberg was chosen because they could never have been seen to be drinking a German lager. In fact the beer referred to in the original novel is "Rhinegold", which although not German, certainly has German connotations.

Scenes from the film were used in one example of a wider late-1980s television advertising campaign for the German Holsten Pils lager. Each advertisement mixed original footage from a different old film (another example was The Great Escape) with new humorous material starring British comedian Griff Rhys Jones and finishing with the slogan "A Holsten Pils Production". In retaliation, rival Carlsberg simply lifted the segment in which Mills contemplates the freshly-poured lager in the clearly Carlsberg-branded glass, before downing it in one go and declaring: "Worth waiting for!"

It could still be wrong, though. So come on, Stoo!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #36
Stoo
IndyFan

15 All - Montana Makes a Tie Goal

Montana Smith is right with "Ice Cold in Alex"! (the edited N.American version is titled: "Desert Attack") The only reason I know about the Carlsberg ad is because I was showing the film to a friend of mine from Brighton several years ago. When we got to the end, he was shouting out, "I know this! I know this!" Again, Montana is also right regarding the Carlsberg logo on the glasses. (Apparently the Carlsberg ad was colourized?!? I've never seen it! Would love to see the Holsten Pils advert, too.)

Clips used were of Sir John Mills' feet walking across a potential mine field. Indy-related or not, it's a GREAT FILM!

The man who directed it, J. Lee Thompson (one of my faves), did several other classics such as "Guns of Navarone" & "Cape Fear" but also did his share of schlock: The last 2 "Planet of the Apes" films and the '85 version of "King Solomon's Mines" (among others)...even though I don't consider "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" to be schlock.

Sorry for the late reply, mates. There is still more that I want to say re: your other conversations but thought I should settle this one for now...

Last edited by Stoo : 04-21-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #37
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Montana Smith is right with "Ice Cold in Alex"! (the edited N.American version is titled: "Desert Attack") The only reason I know about the Carlsberg ad is because I was showing the film to a friend of mine from Brighton several years ago. When we got to the end, he was shouting out, "I know this! I know this!" Again, Montana is also right regarding the Carlsberg logo on the glasses. (Apparently the Carlsberg ad was colourized?!? I've never seen it! Would love to see the Holsten Pils advert, too.)

I did a few searches in Google, and the only Carlsberg "Ice-Cold" I found was a 54 second film showing the iconic moment in the bar. Yet, it didn't seem to be the actual advert from TV, but rather a clip straight from the film. No colour, and no tagline on screen.

Quote:
The man who directed it, J. Lee Thompson (one of my faves), did several other classics such as "Guns of Navarone" & "Cape Fear" but also did his share of schlock: The last 2 "Planet of the Apes" films and the '85 version of "King Solomon's Mines" (among others)...even though I don't consider "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" to be schlock.

He had some good films under his belt. Conquest was good, but Battle for the Planet of the Apes was a shocker. It had only one good thing going for it - it had classic apes in it! (Tim Burton, you should've taken note!)
Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #38
AtomicAnt
IndyFan

Quote:
Here’s an entirely different way to watch the first 13 minutes of “Raiders of the Lost Ark”, the opening sequence which blew me away in 1981 and continues to do the same today. Behold a shot-by-shot comparison of “Raiders” vs. an assortment of various adventure flicks. This took me 2 DECADES to assemble but it’s finally finished! A labour of love...

30 films were used. Who can name them all? Since the shots of the Paramount logo would be impossible to determine, I’ll begin by saying that they are Rudyard Kipling’s, “The Light That Failed” and the great, “Secret of the Incas”. (So there’s 2 out of 30 for ya.)

Raiders of the Lost Archives

Some sequences from the other Indy movies are possible to duplicate using old clips and I plan on doing some more in the future. In this one, there are a few, tiny glitches here & there but I grew tired of tinkering and let them be...Enjoy (and be sure to watch it fullscreen)!
Wow.. That's amazing. Major props, man!
AtomicAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #39
Stoo
IndyFan

Thanks a bunch, Atomic Ant! Glad you liked it.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:44 AM   #40
James Byrne
IndyFan

Put me out of my misery Stoo ... and name all the titles will ya?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #41
Stoo
IndyFan

Key The 30 Film Recipe

James, putting you out of your misery would require a bullet to the brain....and I wouldn't want to do that!

Bold = Colour films reduced to black & white

Multiple clips:
01) Secret of the Incas (1954)
02) Die Spinnen (Spiders) (1919)
03) The Naked Jungle (1954)
04) Trader Horn (1931)
05) Trader Horn (1973)
06) King Kong (1933)
07) Stanley and Livingstone (1939)
08) Tarzan and His Mate (1934)
09) Tarzan Escapes (1936)
10) Tarzan’s Secret Treasure (1941)
11) King Solomon’s Mines (1937)
12) King Solomon’s Mines (1954)
13) Watusi (1959)
14) Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
15) Perils of Nyoka (Nyoka and the Tigermen) (1942)
16) The Three Musketeers (1933) NOT the Dumas tale (as you’re aware, James)

2 clips or less:
17) The Light That Failed (1939) Paramount logo only
18) Five Weeks In a Balloon (1962)
19) Ice Cold In Alex (1958)
20) The Lost World (1960)
21) Mr. Robinson Crusoe (1932)
22) Gunga Din (1939)
23) Zorro Rides Again (1937)
24) Zorro’s Fighting Legion (1939)
25) G-Men vs. The Black Dragon (1943)
26) Daredevils of the Red Circle (1939)
27) Jungle Jim (TV) (1955)
28) Perils of the Jungle (1953)
29) The Lone Ranger (1956)
30) Raiders of Ghost City (1944) Title only
Old 12-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #42
James Byrne
IndyFan

No ... don't shoot me Stoo ... I'm not that famous!

I saw the 1960 version of THE LOST WORLD recently, and really enjoyed it. What's so unusual about that you may wonder?
Well, on its initial release I thought it was ridiculous ... and I was a kid then!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #43
Simon1882
IndyFan

Just saw the side by side -- a very clever, well-made study! Bravo!
Simon1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:25 AM   #44
James Byrne
IndyFan

Stoo
I just looked at your masterpiece again after a few months - its incredible mate!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #45
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1882
Just saw the side by side -- a very clever, well-made study! Bravo!
Thank you, Simon. Glad you liked it and thanks for the compliment.
Quote:
I saw the 1960 version of THE LOST WORLD recently, and really enjoyed it. What's so unusual about that you may wonder?
Well, on its initial release I thought it was ridiculous ... and I was a kid then!!!
Having every version of "The Lost World" ever committed to film, I also didn't like the 1960 version upon the first viewing but it eventually grew on me. Claude Raines makes a great Professor Challenger and now I cherish this adaptation.

2 slowed-down shots of the float-plane in the water were the only clips from the 1960 "Lost World" used in my "Raiders" tribute.
Quote:
I just looked at your masterpiece again after a few months - its incredible mate!
Thanks again, James. Your comments are well appreciated but...since the upload, I've found many clips which could improve my comparison and I may do a NEW, better version for YouTube!

Currently, I'm compiling clips which recreate other sequences from the original Indy trilogy and am always on the lookout for more so...if anyone has any suggestions...please, let me know!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #46
Saber79
IndyFan

Really an incredible job Stoo, I could watch that over and over again!!
Saber79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #47
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber79
Really an incredible job Stoo, I could watch that over and over again!!
Glad you enjoyed it, Saber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Jared in the "Secret of the Incas" thread
Wow! That was amazing! How did I miss all that? I think there was a long stretch of time when I'd quickly jump on TheRaider to see if there was any Indy 5 news and go. I tip my hat to you, Stoo. I was also amazed after watching it to read how James was able to guess at so many of those clips.

You mentioned that you're looking for others for future projects. Ever see Nate & Hayes with Tommy Lee Jones? I'm not crazy about the film but it came out right before Temple of Doom and had a nearly identical rope bridge scene. Lots of rope bridge scenes in Hollywood history but this one you could definitely grab a clip or two from.
...(snip)...
Thanks for bringing my attention to The Lost Archives.
Thanks for the kind words, Stephen. I was hoping you'd see it someday. I have "Nate & Hayes" but will probably not use that film since I'm strictly trying to use clips that are pre-1981. I have a lot of old films with rope bridges but am always on the look out for more. Thanks for the suggestion, all the same.

While I have some films with mine cart action & water flooding tunnels, that entire sequence would be almost impossible to recreate because of how long it lasts. The boat chase in "Crusade" would be easy. I even have a part from a Dick Tracy film/serial where he goes between 2 ships but I don't know it's title! Help! As I mentioned here & in the "Secret of the Incas" thread, the desert chase from "Raiders" is up next.

Yes, James did an impressive job at picking out many of the titles (who else, eh?) but half the total were never identified. Too bad you weren't around before I listed them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother in the "Chuck Heston is Indiana Jones..." thread
Sorry Stoo, but 10 minutes is the limit on youtube. Don't waste your time watching youtube videos that claim to show you how to get around it. I did a quick search which yielded these alternative sites/services, though I won't pretend to know their time limits. Other than that, if it has to be youtube, you are going to have to split it into two parts. Sucks, I know.
You should still post it on youtube anyway, I could see this thing going viral! It's too insane to be ignored by the masses.
Indy's brother, you wrote this over a year ago in another thread but I did manage to upload it to YouTube about 3.5 months ago. Luckily, YouTube raised it's limit to 15 minutes so I didn't have to split the video into 2 parts! Yeah! It hasn't gone viral yet, though. Only 1,725 views on YouTube and 256 on Vimeo. Am I begging for hits? Umm, maybe...

For anyone who hasn't seen it, below is the new link. Tell your friends!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns8bG9AbfwM
Old 03-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #48
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Indy's brother, you wrote this over a year ago in another thread but I did manage to upload it to YouTube about 3.5 months ago. Luckily, YouTube raised it's limit to 15 minutes so I didn't have to split the video into 2 parts! Yeah! It hasn't gone viral yet, though. Only 1,725 views on YouTube and 256 on Vimeo. Am I begging for hits? Umm, maybe...

For anyone who hasn't seen it, below is the new link. Tell your friends!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns8bG9AbfwM

SHAMELESS!!!
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #49
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother

Is panhandling allowed?
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #50
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
Appreciate the shameless plug, Indy's brother!