TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #51
Muttette
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 64
Exclamation

Why this script is a work of genius...

...and my word's as good as an angel's kiss.

Hahahaha this script is hilarious!


PRIESTLY
Moby Dick.

INDIANA
Huh?...




SCRAGGY
Indy! At last we are reunited!
(looks to sky)
Oh, Keechingo, God Of Friendship...I
thank you for granting my wish!

Indy RESTS Scraggy back onto the ramp. Scraggy MOVES to assist Indiana
with his luggage. Before picking it up, Scraggy RAISES his arms over
the baggage. Again, he BLESSES the suitcases. Scraggy then PICKS UP
the bags. Indy CHUCKLES.

INDIANA
I see you haven't changed, Scraggy.

SCRAGGY
Mahootmek, God Of Goodness, say...
"Before body make contact with
foreign object...one must cast out
bad spirits, or -- "

INDIANA
" -- or bad spirits will enter your
body!"

SCRAGGY
Yes! You have excellent memory,
Indy.

INDIANA
I should! Last time we saw each
other...you made me wear the same
clothes for 3 weeks straight.

SCRAGGY
Never separate body from clothes, or
bad spirits will hide in pockets!

INDIANA
In other words... If people never
changed clothes...there would be no
evil in the world.

SCRAGGY
Exactly!


Why did they have to cut Scraggy?! He's awesome!
Muttette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #52
TheIndyOpinion
IndyFan
 
TheIndyOpinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lost in my own museum
Posts: 312
Wow, this sounds really bad. KOTCS truly is Shakespearian in comparison.

Does anyone have an updated link to somewhere that I can download the script? I've gotta read more of this tripe, and the one posted higher up the thread is no longer active.
TheIndyOpinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #53
Muttette
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 64
Exclamation

Ta da...

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/I...JONES_4_2.html

Man they hang, draw and quarter that 'Indiana does fishing' gag... XD

Also this line should have been used in Kingdom...

INDIANA
Call your mommy.
Muttette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:01 AM   #54
Col. Detritch
IndyFan
 
Col. Detritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tanis Dig
Posts: 339
Monkey King Script Potential

I was reading through the Monkey King script by Chris Columbus and was thinking of the future potential it might have. Maybe not as a film but maybe as a novel or game.

In my opinion it would make a marvellous novel, with some more Indesque modifications. IMO this works out because it is almost completely different to the film script other than the tank (which is different anyway) a boat sequence (different) and the artifact providing eternal youth (Different artifact used anyway). The script is even based in a different year!

Some changes I'd make would be:
-The 'Haunted House" Opening sequence
-Betsy trying to commit suicide (Humorous but I found it had to take her serious after!)
-Kezure, not the entire character but I wouldn't make him a pirate (just doesn’t sit right). Maybe he could be a German scientist, Dr Klaus Von Kezure, who got lost in the jungles years back looking for the city and befriended a tribe of natives who he commands over. Then they attack the river boat instead
-And finally the excessive use of the Gorillas at the end (also didn't feel right) and the resurrection of Sun Wu-Kung!

Otherwise fantastic script and perfect Indy novel!
Col. Detritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 AM   #55
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Detritch
I was reading through the Monkey King script by Chris Columbus and was thinking of the future potential it might have. Maybe not as a film but maybe as a novel or game.

In my opinion it would make a marvellous novel, with some more Indesque modifications. IMO this works out because it is almost completely different to the film script other than the tank (which is different anyway) a boat sequence (different) and the artifact providing eternal youth (Different artifact used anyway). The script is even based in a different year!

Some changes I'd make would be:
-The 'Haunted House" Opening sequence
-Betsy trying to commit suicide (Humorous but I found it had to take her serious after!)
-Kezure, not the entire character but I wouldn't make him a pirate (just doesn’t sit right). Maybe he could be a German scientist, Dr Klaus Von Kezure, who got lost in the jungles years back looking for the city and befriended a tribe of natives who he commands over. Then they attack the river boat instead
-And finally the excessive use of the Gorillas at the end (also didn't feel right) and the resurrection of Sun Wu-Kung!

Otherwise fantastic script and perfect Indy novel!

I read through the script a while ago, and though it was interesting, some of it seemed even further off-course than KOTCS. It was more like reading a comic book version of Indy, rather than imagining a film version.

Betsy trying to commit suicide over Indy, even if it was portrayed humourously, came across to be as more than a bit disturbing. There were certainly some good ideas and locations, but as a whole it felt like it was written by somebody who was influenced more by the Marvel 'Further Adventures' comics, rather than the films. My views might be prejudiced, though, by constantly telling myself that this was a rejected script, and therefore not Lucas-sanctioned.

African river boats, jungle outposts and so on would be cool settings. When I think of scenes like that I'm always reminded of Conrad's descriptions in 'Heart of Darkness', and then of the Tarzan movies (from the sublime to the ridiculous, I know!) Classic locations for adventure and intrigue.


If the monkeys in KOTCS brought criticism I wonder what the reaction to the gorillas would have been?
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 AM   #56
Col. Detritch
IndyFan
 
Col. Detritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tanis Dig
Posts: 339
Yeah, certain moments are 'cring worthy' in any sence of the word, like the Betsy suicide part and gorillas! . I never thought of it like the Marvel comics but parts are along the same lines, but, in my opinion, a hole lot more faithful to the character than the horrid comics !

Do you think the script, with ajustment, could pass as a half decent novel?
Col. Detritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 AM   #57
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Detritch
Yeah, certain moments are 'cring worthy' in any sence of the word, like the Betsy suicide part and gorillas! . I never thought of it like the Marvel comics but parts are along the same lines, but, in my opinion, a hole lot more faithful to the character than the horrid comics !

Do you think the script, with ajustment, could pass as a half decent novel?

I think of the comics, the Marvel ones were the least Indy-like. I haven't read any of the novels apart from the film novelizations, so I don't know what their tone is. Likewise with the Young Indiana Jones series - that format never appealed to me, so I know very little about them. I've read a lot of comics, and the script seems more suited to that format.

On the other hand, I've read a lot of Hellboy comics and Hellboy novels, and to me, both are inter-compatible. So on that basis, the Monkey King might make a good book.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #58
JP Jones
IndyFan
 
JP Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Space between Spaces
Posts: 638
The Monkey King script, as it is, would be a great novel or even game, but with a few tweaks we could've had a great movie. I didn't read the whole thing, but from what I saw, it seems to me like if they got rid of some of the silly stuff that would fit into a video game or something I would've liked it much better than LC. IMO Africa is a lot more fun than Germany and it suits indy better. The time has past for this to be a movie, but it could've been really cool.
JP Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #59
RedeemedChild
IndyFan
 
RedeemedChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Jones
The Monkey King script, as it is, would be a great novel or even game, but with a few tweaks we could've had a great movie... IMO Africa is a lot more fun than Germany...

I also agree. I'd love to both an Indiana Jones video game and movie that would make use of the "Monkey King Script". I also agree that Africa could be a lot more enjoyable than Germany.
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #60
Udvarnoky
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,350
The Monkey King script was considered for a graphic adventure adaptation at LucasArts in the late 80s/early 90s, but the designers didn't think it was strong enough material and chose to make their own story - Fate of Atlantis was the result. Just food for thought!
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #61
RedeemedChild
IndyFan
 
RedeemedChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
The Monkey King script was considered for a graphic adventure adaptation at LucasArts in the late 80s/early 90s, but the designers didn't think it was strong enough material and chose to make their own story - Fate of Atlantis was the result. Just food for thought!

Hmm...Fascinating. Very interesting indeed.



" Fascinating is a word I use for the unexpected. In this case, I should think "interesting" would suffice."

My sentiments exactly. Spock sums up my thoughts perfectly.
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:05 AM   #62
Col. Detritch
IndyFan
 
Col. Detritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tanis Dig
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
The Monkey King script was considered for a graphic adventure adaptation at LucasArts in the late 80s/early 90s, but the designers didn't think it was strong enough material and chose to make their own story - Fate of Atlantis was the result. Just food for thought!

Udvarnoky, thats very interesting! Just makes you think, how much un-used Indy material is still out there with such potential! Stop holding out on us Lucas Arts and co.!
Col. Detritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #63
Morning Bell
IndyFan
 
Morning Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wherever there's adventure
Posts: 639
Like a lot of the Indy scripts, it has potential and with some tweaks and changes it would make a good novel or video game, at least in my opinion. Those mediums seem to work a bit better for the more "out there" Indy adventures and I'd like to see them give it a go.
Morning Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #64
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,694
Should Monkey King have been made?

Should Indiana Jones and the Monkey King have been made, whether as Indy III, or as Indy IV (perhaps sometime in the early-mid 1990s)?

Was it worthy of the Indiana Jones name?
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #65
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Should Indiana Jones and the Monkey King have been made, whether as Indy III, or as Indy IV (perhaps sometime in the early-mid 1990s)?

Was it worthy of the Indiana Jones name?

I think it was a bit too bizarre to be filmed, and I don't think it would have worked as a graphic adventure either, as I believe we've heard Barwood was pushed to have done - but it could have been a novel. Or much more likely, a comic book.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #66
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I think it was a bit too bizarre to be filmed, and I don't think it would have worked as a graphic adventure either, as I believe we've heard Barwood was pushed to have done - but it could have been a novel. Or much more likely, a comic book.

Bizarre is how I would describe the scene with the infatuated Betsy attempting to commit suicide over Indy. That seemed very inappropriate, and more than uncomfortable to think about - even if it was played for laughs when eventually put to film.

As it turned out even KOTCS was much more down to earth than some of the elements in Monkey King.

I just found this short review on a page looking at "The Scripts That Weren't":

Quote:
Script: INDIANA JONES AND THE MONKEY KING

Writer: Chris Columbus (writer of The Goonies, but you know him best as the director of Home Alone and the first two Harry Potter movies)

Authenticity: Strong. (Though there is some debate regarding which draft is available on the internet and whether or not that draft has been tinkered with.) Spielberg and Lucas have both confirmed that Columbus did work on a Monkey King-themed script. Here's the thing - this script originated back in 1985 and was supposed to be the follow-up to Temple of Doom. Ultimately, it didn't work out, however. Spielberg told theraider.net: "Chris writes comedy brilliantly and his script was very humorous ... It was upbeat and full of the same nostalgia that we tapped into in Raiders of the Lost Ark, so in that sense Chris was right on the money. But I don't think any of us wanted to go to Africa for four months and try to get Indy to ride a rhinoceros in a multi-vehicular chase, which was one of the sequences Chris had written." It was rumored that the script was retooled following Last Crusade as a possible Indy 4, but this has yet to be confirmed.

Plot: Indy heads to Africa to find the lost civilization of Sun Wu-Kung, the legendary Chinese Monkey King, who is said to have a Garden of Immortal Peaches that can grant eternal life.

The Good: Say what you will about Columbus, but the man knows how to write action. His Monkey King script is filled with elaborately-imagined action sequences, which would've made this a $200 million dollar movie, even back in 1985. Apparently, Spielberg liked the action so much, he borrowed some of Columbus' set pieces for Last Crusade (the Venice boat chase and the tank pursuit both have their origins in this script). Plus, even though the general public (i.e. cargo pants-wearing Americans) don't know much about the Monkey King, Columbus gets points for adding a Chinese deity to the canon of other Jones-discovered religious artifacts.

The Bad: Yes, Columbus can write action, but he writes pure-bred CRAZY action, crazy on a level that's appropriate for the Mummy movies, but not Indiana Jones. There IS a sequence where Indy rides a rhino while chasing a tank, and there's an extended battle at the end with Indy organizing an army of African pygmies and super-smart gorillas to battle an army of Nazis Ewok-style. No fooling, there's a bit where the gorilla starts driving a tank. Plus it opens with a bizarre sequence where Indy is fighting a banshee in a Scottish castle and it has NO relevance to the rest of the story (just something that happened on his vacation). He's not a Ghostbuster or Fox Mulder, he's an archeologist!

The Ugly: Beyond the implausibility of Columbus' script, there's also a disturbing undercurrent of stereotyping and misogyny. There is literally a part where Indy's lovelorn grad student, Betsy, attempts to commit suicide again and again because Dr. Jones won't return her affection, and Indy couldn't care less. (He's mad that she almost ruins his whip by trying to hang herself with it.) And Betsy remains a punching-bag for the rest of the script. If that wasn't bad enough, the foreigners are all painted with such ridiculously broad strokes - the Scots are all drunks, the Africans are simple primitives - that it's cringe-worthy. And we're not even getting to the fact that Indy DIES at the end of the The Monkey King, only to be resurrected by Sun Wu-Kung, who tells Dr. Jones that he has enjoyed watching his adventures from the heavens. How do you say "lame" in Chinese?


http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/1040...ts_feature.php
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #67
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,385
I do want to put in a good word for the Scottish segment, though: they've clearly always had a fondness for the idea of a haunted castle set piece, with Castle Brunwald being a less elaborate version of some of the earlier drafts of the Indy III script. If we get an Indy V, I'd not be at all surprised, and somewhat pleased, if we get a father-son fishing trip opening that proceeds along these lines.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #68
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I do want to put in a good word for the Scottish segment, though: they've clearly always had a fondness for the idea of a haunted castle set piece, with Castle Brunwald being a less elaborate version of some of the earlier drafts of the Indy III script. If we get an Indy V, I'd not be at all surprised, and somewhat pleased, if we get a father-son fishing trip opening that proceeds along these lines.

I'm not averse to ghosts either, but that story played out quite strangely in this script.

Indy was always intended to be an occult investigator, and this should feature at some point. Done well it could be the element of mystery and suspense allowing a septuagenarian Indy to remain centre stage, with his years of knowledge and experience holding the key to survival.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #69
Mungi
IndyFan
 
Mungi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 157
I would love too see Indy in Africa - without that rhinoceros scene of course. And Indy in a haunted castle as the opening scene? Why not, as long as he's searching for some treasure.

All these possibilites make me even more excited about the idea of another one. Let's hope we'll hear something concrete soon!
Mungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #70
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,694
Bump...
I kind of wish in retrospect that Monkey King was Indy 3, and LC was Indy 4, and we could've had Fate of Atlantis as Indy 5, and KOTCS as Indy 6. Would have been perfect.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #71
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Bump...

Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I kind of wish in retrospect that Monkey King was Indy 3, and LC was Indy 4, and we could've had Fate of Atlantis as Indy 5, and KOTCS as Indy 6. Would have been perfect.

The complicating factor here is how many of the elements of the Monkey King script found there way into Last Crusade. Both the speedboat chase and the tank sequence appear in an earlier form in the Monkey King script, and the notion of eternal life first appears there as well. A lot of what's left - the talking gorillas, the Betsy character and her suicide sequence, and the treatment of the pygmies - isn't great. However, there are still some very strong ideas involved: an adventure taking place in Africa, the incorporation of Chinese mythology, the Scottish sequence, a Katherine Hepburn-esque heroine, and the river pirate sequences.

I guess the necessary thought experiment if we were to further explore the notion of both films being made is what goes into which film. I'd wager that Monkey King would take some extensive rewrites, personally. (There's also, of course, a lot to be said about just how Fate of Atlantis would actually be adaptable - and whether it would have any impact on the material we know to exist in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - but one thing at a time.)
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #72
Udvarnoky
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,350
It may be irony to the tenth power, but I honestly believe that Fate of Atlantis is too good for Spielberg and Lucas to do it justice as a movie. Better to leave it as a fantastic interactive experience that is for a lot of people the Indy4 before there was an Indy4. Besides, Crystal Skull sort of shot the Indiana Jones Movie About A Lost City wad plus featured a main character who is a psychic. While the comparisons may be superficial, I don't see how you can adapt Fate of Atlantis without attracting complaints about rehashing old ideas.

Aside from the pixels, iffy voice acting and some unfortunate attempts at implementing action sequences in a graphic adventure engine, Fate of Atlantis holds up wonderfully to this day - I'd hate to see an adaptation that doesn't do it justice, which is about the only kind of adaptation that I can really see happening. Better just to replay the game and spread the word that it can be obtained for a pittance.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #73
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I kind of wish in retrospect that Monkey King was Indy 3,
Good Lord, NO! I finally finished reading the full thing and it's filled with too much nonsense. While it does contain a small handful of interesting moments, overall it is unbelievably HORRID! (That is, if the available script is genuine...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadbolt.com
Authenticity: Strong. (Though there is some debate regarding which draft is available on the internet and whether or not that draft has been tinkered with.) Spielberg and Lucas have both confirmed that Columbus did work on a Monkey King-themed script. Here's the thing - this script originated back in 1985 and was supposed to be the follow-up to Temple of Doom.
It's quite possible that there was some degree of mischievous tampering done to the script. Both of the two versions I have say, 'First Draft - 2/10/95', whereas Rinzler's "Complete Making of Indiana Jones" book states that the 1st draught was finished on May 3, 1985 (2nd draught had a different title and dated, August 6, 1985). This inconsistency cannot be explained by a simple, typographical error and raises suspicion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Spielberg
"But I don't think any of us wanted to go to Africa for four months and try to get Indy to ride a rhinoceros in a multi-vehicular chase, which was one of the sequences Chris had written."
This Spielberg quote validates the Rhino Ride but the other, more ridiculous sequences towards the end are hard to swallow as legitimate.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #74
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
This Spielberg quote validates the Rhino Ride but the other, more ridiculous sequences towards the end are hard to swallow as legitimate.

I doubt they're illegitimate. The fingerprints of the final sequence are all over Last Crusade and, for that matter, Attack of the Clones.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #75
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I doubt they're illegitimate. The fingerprints of the final sequence are all over Last Crusade and, for that matter, Attack of the Clones.

Yep, it seems they really were that crazy. The fingerprints of doom are also all over KOTCS. The madness of The Monkey King was a portent of things to come.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.