Last Installment?

Raiders90

Something that I've noticed is that while a lot of unofficial news sources and websites are referring to Indy4 as the final installment in the series, the official press releases and the latest info we've got only refer to it as the ''next installment'' with no mention of it being the last. Is it possible that we might be getting a 5th and maybe even a 6th Indy? Back in the 1980's, George Lucas claimed to have signed a contract for 4 sequels to ''Raiders of the Lost Ark.'' Now, counting ''Temple'' as a sequel, that still leaves two sequels. Not counting ''Temple'' since it was a prequel, it leaves three films to be made. Perhaps a new trilogy? Could this possibly be happening in the future? Perhaps Indy 4 and 5 will be shot back to back ala the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Doubtful. You could also count the TV series as a sequel (even though it's a prequel).

Grizzlor

Would love more, but given the difficulty of pulling this one off, I find that highly unprobable.

ElodieJones

It would be great.
A new trilogy !
Better than a trilogy + an Indy 4.

But like you said, regarding the time they take for make this one... I can't imagine how they can make 2 other.
But nothing is impossible.

It depend more of the public.
If Indy 4 is a big succes, they will maybe make 5th and 6th in the same time, like for Pirates 2 and 3...

Rae-deemer

Lucas usually doesn't cave into pressure like that. Everyone loved episode 3 but yet he is done making star wars films. He could care less what the fans want.

Doc Savage

Rae-deemer said:
Lucas usually doesn't cave into pressure like that. Everyone loved episode 3 but yet he is done making star wars films. He could care less what the fans want.
Rae!! Glad to see you're still lurking the board, m'lady!! Tell a certain someone I said 'hello,' and I have a hip-toss with his name written all over it!

Back on topic: As much of a fan as I am, I hope this is the last installment. Sixty-three is pressing even what Hollywood can do, although I think Ford and Lucas can pull it off. Then again, KISS still rocks after all these years. And Tony Hopkins just gets better with age...

oki9Sedo

Jesus, it took long enough for them to get a script for Indy IV. Harrison could be dead by the time they find a good enough script for Indy V.

Parzival

As much as your going to here that Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford and no one else could possibly fill those shoes as an actor, dollar signs have a way of negating all those doubts. If IJ4 is a huge domestic as well as international moneymaker, I have a hard time believing that there wont be more of them regardless of what the beard has to say about it right now.

I agree, why not use a new young actor to play Indy like they do with the James Bond series? For obvious reasons I'd prefer to see Daniel Craig play James Bond than Sean Connery. Anyone remember Never Say Never Again?

oki9Sedo

René Belloq said:
I agree, why not use a new young actor to play Indy like they do with the James Bond series? For obvious reasons I'd prefer to see Daniel Craig play James Bond than Sean Connery. Anyone remember Never Say Never Again?

If I recall correctly, that was the James Bond film where Sean Connery was so old, they actually had to incorporate his age into the story. A large part of the film was him in a physical rehabilitation centre.

Hmmm...and ageing hero in a sequel made twenty after the originals...that sounds familiar somehow....blast, I just can't put my finger on it.

Raiders90

oki9Sedo said:
If I recall correctly, that was the James Bond film where Sean Connery was so old, they actually had to incorporate his age into the story. A large part of the film was him in a physical rehabilitation centre.

Hmmm...and ageing hero in a sequel made twenty after the originals...that sounds familiar somehow....blast, I just can't put my finger on it.

That wasn't an official sequel. It was neither produced or published by the real copy right owners. It's not an official part of the James Bond series Think of it as a fan-film. It was made as a remake of Thunderball by Kevin McCory, one of the writers of the original Thunderball.And Connery was only 53 when it was made.

James

This idea sounds completely absurd (given the delay of Indy 4), but has actually cropped up a few times over the years.

Back around 2000, it was rumoured that Spielberg and Lucas were wanting not only Indy 4, but a fifth sequel as well. And most recently, a (longtime) poster over at Indyfan hinted that they were seriously considering three films instead of one.

Personally, I think 3 films might be a little too optimistic, but 2 really doesn't seem all that unlikely. After all, Spielberg seems to be capable of shooting films rather quickly these days, and they are starting in June for a May release...

oki9Sedo said:

Actually, that aspect of the plot was also in the book (Thunderball). But it is funny to realize that when Connery returned, it had only been 12 years- yet it seemed like ages.

Chris Jones

There is always a chance, though by the time they are done with this one, they may just put it behind them. Look how long it took them to get this one rolling... I don't want to wait another 20 years for another one, because Ford won't be able to star in that one and he is the only Indy in my eyes.

James

Moedred said:
Can you source it? We need material for the inevitable Indy 5 board premiering May 23 2008, if not sooner...

It was a rumour that circulated on sites like Comingsoon.net, etc. It touched on things like Ford being expected to receive a (then) record payday of around $30 million, and the fact that not one- but two- films were being considered.

When I say it is, technically, possible for them to make more than one sequel, I only mean if they shoot both this year.

Parzival

I think you have to take into account the box office $$ that IV will undoubtedly command. If IJ4 is just a huge box office take worldwide and not just domestically, I have a hard time believing that this franchise will end with this movie. Regardless if Harrison Ford decides that this is his last Indy movie, if the masses deem that they want more, chances are it will happen.

The studios are in it for money and if they have a cash cow on their hands, they are going to want to milk it for as long as they can. As I stated earlier, even if Harrison Ford doesn’t come back, it doesn’t necessarily mean the end of Indiana Jones on the big screen.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Well, it be good if they went the way of James Bond with the franchise after IV. I'd like to see a young, good-looking Indy who isn't Sean Patrick Flanery.

Dr.Sartorius

Violet Indy said:
Well, it be good if they went the way of James Bond with the franchise after IV. I'd like to see a young, good-looking Indy who isn't Sean Patrick Flanery.

I'd prefer a CGI-deaged Ford than someone else playing Indy. :hat: