Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

The Drifter

DiscoLad said:
No, Lonsome... just no. :p

It was so unappealing...
It looked like RE4 ... in space.

I might give it a chance but I certainly am going to need some convincing before I even look at Dead Space 2

Merely a run-of-the-mill scare game

Come on, Disco. You know that you have to play a game to judge it. Don't write-it off just by how it looks.
The first Dead Space was a great game (better than RE4 IMO), but I have yet to start on the second one. I'm still playing Mass Effect 2 when I can.

DiscoLad

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I'm still playing Mass Effect 2 when I can.

Don't even get me started on Mass Effect 2. I played that game for 24 minutes and quit, I knew I shoulda never taken the word of that guy at Gamestop.

Finn

Staff member
DiscoLad said:
Don't even get me started on Mass Effect 2. I played that game for 24 minutes and quit, I knew I shoulda never taken the word of that guy at Gamestop.
A game has content worth dozens of hours, and somebody calls it a dud after 24 minutes of giving it a shot? Alright.

<small>Note: I'm not saying that everybody should love Mass Effect. We have varying degrees of taste. Still, that sounds a bit too hasty.</small>

Oh. And I'm revisiting KotOR 2, with this. Adds a ton of things that were cut, and so far it's all been fit seamlessly into the vanilla content. It's no longer a game that just feels incomplete.

DiscoLad

Finn said:
A game has content worth dozens of hours, and somebody calls it a dud after 24 minutes of giving it a shot? Alright.

<small>Note: I'm not saying that everybody should love Mass Effect. We have varying degrees of taste. Still, that sounds a bit too hasty.</small>

From what I had been hearing about it, it should've kept me in it longer than 24 minutes...

I played it some more with a friend to show him, we got lost and the game didn't progress, because it did a bad job of showing me where to go next, haha. After running around the ship searching for a mission to do... extensively... I gave up and stop playing. . .
That's not hasty.

Indy's brother

DiscoLad said:
we got lost and the game didn't progress, because it did a bad job of showing me where to go next, haha. After running around the ship searching for a mission to do... extensively... I gave up and stop playing. . .
That's not hasty.

I had a similar experience with the first level of Fallout 3, which as a tutorial and introduction to the Fallout universe was unrepresentative of the game as a whole. I spent at least an hour before getting into the game proper. Of course I started playing it knowing what to expect out of the game after ditching the training wheels. I've not played ME2, but I would venture a guess that it would take more than a half-hour to get immersed into the real meat of it. But hey, if the game didn't grab you, I guess there are plenty more titles out there that get the ball rolling right off the bat. Dead Space is one that comes to mind. :whip:

Last edited:

The Drifter

No disrespect, Disco. But, you have to give a game (any game) more than half-an-hour to really have an opinion on the overall experience. You even said yourself that you did not even make it out of the Normandy to go to the first mission. Great Scott, man! That's like only nibbling the bun on a burger and declaring you dislike the whole thing!
By the way - what games do you like?

Finn

Staff member
Fallout 3 and ME2 are two completely different kind of games. I can understand somebody getting lost in the former after the game just kind of drops you in the vast and seamless wasteland after the initial vault with very little directions.

But getting lost in ME2... that takes skill, considering usually there's only one way to go once inside a mission, since those are very linear. The liberty in this game comes in deciding which order you wish to tackle them, and even with those the game gives subtle hints in dialogue for the optimal route for those who don't wish to experiment.

Unless, of course, you guys were skipping all the exposition bits while looking for more things to shoot at. If that's the case, then well... maybe it's not a game for you after all. Especially not being able to find the Galaxy Map on the bridge requires an attention span that's extraordinarily short.

The Drifter

Finn said:
The liberty in this game comes in deciding which order you wish to tackle them, and even with those the game gives subtle hints in dialogue for the optimal route for those who don't wish to experiment.

It also tells you in the journal what missions you have. One only has to go to the Galaxy Map and find which galaxy their mission is in. And, that tells you also.
It would be mighty hard to get lost on the ship. I wonder if Disco even made it past the opening act? Maybe that's why he can't find any missions.

DiscoLad

Lonsome_Drifter said:
By the way - what games do you like?

That was nicely worded, Lonsome. (y) I laughed.

Games I like?
-Indiana Jones. :p
-The Call of Duty series
-Evil Dead 2 and 3
-Timesplitters 2 and 3
-Beatles Rockband. (y)
-Left for Dead 2
-Age of Anything on PC
-Anything on N64. :)

Finn

Staff member
Lonsome_Drifter said:
I wonder if Disco even made it past the opening act?
In my three playthroughs or so, I've yet to make it through Lazarus Station and Freedom's Progress in less than half an hour (I don't skip dialogue). It usually takes me two to three hours minimum (according to the ingame clock, which doesn't count reloads).

So yeah, either he lost himself in the tutorial which always told you very clearly where to go (and even locked all the doors behind you) or he was skipping the talky bits. Which means he was losing the meat of the game to begin with.

DiscoLad

Finn said:
So yeah, either he lost himself in the tutorial which always told you very clearly where to go (and even locked all the doors behind you) or he was skipping the talky bits. Which means he was losing the meat of the game to begin with.

I got through the tutorial.
Handed it to my friend, he beat some thing. Some worm thing, or was it fire.
Then I was lost in my ship.... Ended up back in my room, great.
I don't skip dialogue, Finn.
... I just don't listen. :p
How do you pull up your journal anyway??

Montana Smith

Since I upgraded to a new PC after years in the slow lane, I have a graphics card that will at least play older games to the max. It's turning me back into a video game junky.

Most recently played The Punisher, Splinter Cell, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

Currently playing Far Cry - and I just love the scenery graphics in this. I also love the go-anywhere, do anything format of the game.

Oh, and from the start it reminded me of Lost!

JayDee

I am a proud owner of a PS3 for three years now. The last game I bought and beat was "Ghostbusters" two days ago.
I adore the Uncharted and Assassins Creed franchises. Haven´t seen such games with great storylines and likable characters for a very loooooong time...

RedeemedChild

I've been playing the original Cave Story PC game and I've got to say that it's really addicting. Now if only Hollywood would adapt a Cave Story movie we'd all be set for a bit of good entertainment. Sadly, games to movies don't really work though.