Stoo

This past weekend, I returned from a trip to Italy in which the highlight was
visiting the ruins of Pompeii. The magnificent spread of the site far exceeded
any expectations and its endless network of excavated buidings and streets
is so extensive that we were completely overwhelmed. Sculptured marble and
remarkable, preserved frescoes were met with at every turn. There was also
no shortage of fanatically detailed mosaics hidden away amongst an intricate
web of rooms and doorways. All of this at rest beneath the striking presence
of mighty Vesuvius - her cloud-covered crest obscured by the lingering fog.

The thick, cobblestone roads bore countless, long grooves in them where
wheel tracks had worn into the stone. These crumbled causeways fingered
through over to the equally impressive, grand arena and amphitheatres.
Each one evoked glimpses of the bustling life present in a 2000-year-old
metropolis.

Photos of the victim's bodies have always fascinated me so I was a tad
dismayed that there weren't too many about. The dozen or so that I did
manage to see satisfied my, somewhat, morbid desire to gaze into faces
of the ancient dead. There was one in particular where you could virtually
see the horrifying expression of the man, captured in time from his last,
living moments.

At one point I thought about the night my mother showed me an article
on Pompeii from National Geopraphic in the early '70s (when I was wee lad,
it was apparently a boom-time for the excavations). Thus, my introduction
to the tragic tale had spurred my curiousity over the years and it felt good
to be there actually walking through the streets and alleys. Achieving the
chance to finally manifest one of life's wishes like that was exhilarating.

At 10 Euros per head, the entrance fee was a bargain and a 2 hour guide
cost the same. My troupe and I did some investigating on our own as well
but the 6hr. tour must be well worth it since there is so much to absorb.
I shot some video so, if time is good to me, I may post some stills.

Anyone else visit Pompeii?

Last edited:

IndyBuff

If you get time to post some video or pictures I'd certainly be interested in seeing them. I'm glad you had a good trip and got to visit such a neat area.

Paden

Thanks for sharing your experience, Stoo. I too would be very interested in seeing some photos from your journey.

Stoo

Thanks for your interest, guys. I'd like to post some shots but am afraid
I don't know how! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

"Sajnu will guide you".

Stoo

Thank you very much, VP. I'll see if I can get some posted over the weekend.
Have a great time in the U.K.!

JediIndy

Hello Stoo, I am seriously planning and researching a trip to Pompeii next year. I love roman archealogy and Pompeii just fascinates me. I am mostly going to be taking a bus tour in and around Rome, but i would like to go to Pompeii from Rome by myself. Do you know what train or bus to catch that goes to Naples? Which road is best and cheapest? Do you also know of other sights in that area and cheap motels to stay? Thanks, any information would be much appreciated.

Magda

Nothing is cheap in Italy - especially in heavily touristed places like Rome and Naples. Budget traveling might still be possible there, yet I would recommend that you start saving money now. ;)

Gustav

JediIndy said:
Do you also know of other sights in that area and cheap motels to stay? Thanks, any information would be much appreciated.

Hotels.com will tell you of cheap hotels and show you where they and all the major attractions in the vicinity. Since I don't have enough money to travel much, I like to just go on hotels.com and look at the pictures and imagine being there. You should look at some of the hotels on the Nile river. Very, very nice and some are in the area of $60 a night. Egypt is high on my list of places to go. There's also a hotel in Brunei that was originally going to house the sultan's guests but was converted into a hotel so it is super luxurious.

Also, since all of you are interested in travelling, http://www.silversea.com/silversea.aspx?id=871&page_type=worldcruiselist&page_id=worldcruise, you should look at this even if it's too expensive. I can't afford it by a long shot, but I like to look at all the locations and imagine going there. You can also order a free brochure like I did. The brochure isn't so much a brochure as a book. It shows maps and has details of each port and has a lot of pictures. it also has a picture of the "treasury" at Petra, which as we know is the location of the holy grail or at least was until Elsa muffed that up. I'm keeping the brochure as sort of a check list of places to go. It sucks not being rich.

JoSav

I loved Pompeii. Remember that students get special discounts and remember definitely not to stay in downtown Napoli/Naples because it is absolutely terrible to stay there (because of the smog and crazy driving). I'd so love to see photo's, I haven't been there in quite some time. Also, Italy is one of the most expensive European countries to visit so if you're on a tight budget you're likely to end up not having enough money.

I did it, and more than three times. Pompei is absolutely wonderful, expecially in the low turistic season (even if there's always turists there), you can touch History with your own hands. In my city Gubbio, there are too some ancient rests of the old Latin city Iguvium, including a Theatre, a lot of mosaics and an astonishing aqueduct that I visited last summer taking photos. If you'll like to see those pics I could post them:)

The mountain in the one picture is the volcano that erupted and took out the whole city,a huge archeoligical spectacle it truly was.

I was in Pompeii about two months ago,Ive got tons of pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
On my grand tour of Europe I hope to visit Pompeii. It has always fascinated me ever since I was a little kid.

These photos were taken inside a house that was covered and preserved by volcanic ash. Once the ash was cleared archeologists discovered that the walls of the house were painted with gorgeous scenery and figures. The second photo is my favorite, when I snapped it I was imagining that someone had just started to etch this figure onto the wall when suddenly Blam!!! the volcano erupted.:)
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Yure

Missed this thread... quite old but for anyone planning to visit Rome here's a chep way to visit Pompei:
get a train in Rome (Termini, central station), in 2 hours you'll be in Naples (for 20 euros, 40 if you spend more for a 300km/h train that takes you there in 1 hour), without leaving the station take the local and inexpensive train (price of a normal bus ticket) "Circumvesuviana" to Pompei Villa dei Misteri and presto (half an hour), you're there. You can visit the site in 3-4 hours and (if you don't want to visit Ercolano too) you can head back to Rome in the afternoon.