Whats your fav YI episode?

Jooones!

I know thats somehow difficult and may change with the times but my present favs are:

1) The Scandal of 1920

and close:

2) Barcelona...

what are yours?

Adamwankenobi

It's hard to pick just one! :D Here are some of my favorites:

"German East Africa"/"Congo" - Pure Frank Darabont brilliance.

"London" - Excellent story dealing with love and loss. I think the episode did a great job evoking wha it must have been like for men to leave their families for war.

"Vienna"/"Florence" - What can I say? I'm a sucker for love stories. :p Even though they weren't originally paired together, they are one of the few re-edits that work well IMO.

"Curse of the Jackal" - I love how this episode sets up Indy at three different ages, and ties it all together with a treasure hunt story. By the end of the episode, we're definately left wanting more.

"Benares" - I've always been into philosophy and world religions, so this episode was a very enlightening experience.

Jooones!

Now that you mention some others my others favs come to mind: very close is e.g. the Congo/Albert Schweitzer one (Max v. Thun is very good there)...from your choices I esp. like London (for Vicki), Benares cause Im interested in the occult and religion and Curse of the Jackal for the reasons you also mentioned: basically cause of its wide scope and good tie in of the various historical events- a pity that that one got "chopped up" in the DVDs...

Others that are close are: the Austrian and Prague spie stories...

tupogirl

At this moment, it's Italy 1917. It just cracks me up. I love when Indy gets out of the ambulance after pretending not to know English and says 'oh and thanks for the ride!'

Verdun, London 1916, Oganga...consistent favorites. And Barcelona.

|ZiR|

Hey, so sorry for the slight hijack but I didn't think this deserved its own thread when this one was right here.

What are the best episodes of Young Indy? Like, what episodes would you suggest for someone who's never seen the show to get them hooked on it?

Adamwankenobi

|ZiR| said:
What are the best episodes of Young Indy? Like, what episodes would you suggest for someone who's never seen the show to get them hooked on it?

Depends. If they're used to the style of the films, then show them "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye" first. If they've never seen anything related to Indy, then show them the pilot episode "Curse of the Jackal" first.

|ZiR|

Adamwankenobi said:
Depends. If they're used to the style of the films, then show them "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye" first. If they've never seen anything related to Indy, then show them the pilot episode "Curse of the Jackal" first.

It's actually myself I was referring to. I've been meaning to get into this series for a while now, but I'm vaguely apprehensive about the premise in general. Well that, and I always miss the reruns on the History Channel. I'm not a kid anymore -- when I am up at 6am it's not to watch TV.

So, yeah. Treasure of the Peacock's Eye. Right-o. Thanks.

tupogirl

|ZiR| said:
It's actually myself I was referring to. I've been meaning to get into this series for a while now, but I'm vaguely apprehensive about the premise in general. Well that, and I always miss the reruns on the History Channel. I'm not a kid anymore -- when I am up at 6am it's not to watch TV.

So, yeah. Treasure of the Peacock's Eye. Right-o. Thanks.

Do you like comedies or war movies or love stories? Intellectual discussions or pop culture? Could probably guide you to the next couple that way. And since they were filmed and shown out of order, I think this would work.

|ZiR|

tupogirl said:
Do you like comedies or war movies or love stories? Intellectual discussions or pop culture? Could probably guide you to the next couple that way. And since they were filmed and shown out of order, I think this would work.

Comedies, love stories, pop culture. I do like intellectual topics, so long as it isn't two people just sitting in a room talking nonstop for 20 minutes. Probably want to avoid the war years unless the action or the story is especially good, 'cause the only war movie I like is Private Benjamin.

I don't care how far out the plot/macguffins are (vampires?). This is pulp after all. Oh! And I definitely want to watch whichever episode has Indy in aviator gear.

Jooones!

^ I'd still recommend the "Barcelona" episode as a first cause of its general high film-technical quality and because its simply a fun story (directed by Terry Jones of Monty Pythons fame after all) and even though its set in the war years of WWI it isnt a warlike episode at all...also has great dialogue and music (Scheherazade by Rimsky Korsakov etc.) and lots of cultural references like the Diaghilev ballet or Picasso in it...

For Indy in aviator gear look into "Attack of the Hawkmen"...

For Vamps look into "Masks of Evil"...

Young Indy

Oganga the Giver and Taker of Life is my favorite followed closley by Phantom Train of Doom, Trenches of Hell, Spring Break Adventure, and Treasure of the Peacock's Eye! All good though. The only ones that weren't that good was Espionage Escapdes. It had good parts but is my least favorite. Haven't seen the last 3 chapters yet. It sucks it ends with Holloywood Follies. Probably hard to go from there to Temple of Doom!

Lao_Che

The better episodes I thought were the last half of Travels with Father, the war stories (Phantom Train of Doom and Attack of the Hawkmen particularly), Masks of Evil, Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, the latter half of Winds of Change (I think) and Mystery of the Blues.

Not because they're particularly like the movies, but because they're told well.

Espionage Escapades certainly wouldn't be a favourite episode of mine. Each time I think of the codpiece morse code I get reminded of a combination this and when Bart Simpson got an earring: "Sparkle! Sparkle!". I get that the whole Franz Kafka half is supposed to be a homage to his work but that doesn't make Indy trying to install a telephone interesting to watch.

Dr Jones

I have to say...it has to be....

"Daredevils Of The Desert"

Great action sequences, good acting from all, an exciting story, wonderful locations and of course a great bunch of characters raning from the cameos from Daniel Craig and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Top stuff!

(y)

doesitmatter

Either Treasure of the Peacock's Eye or Princeton. They don't say much about history but they do feel the most like the movies.

tupogirl

Comedies, love stories, pop culture.

Well definitely go with Tales of Innocence, especially the first half with Ernest Hemingway. Comedy, love story, and of course, Hemingway.

Barcelona is hilarious as is the Kafka half (I'm not sure what that episode is actually *called* though, last one on Volume 3).

Scandal of 1920's has the love them and pop culture going on. And the other recommendations are very good as well.

Have fun!

LostArk

I'm a newcomer to YIJ and I've been watching the re-edits for almost 2 weeks and I just finished "Adventures in the Secret Service". So far I've enjoyed it a lot. These war episodes never fail to amaze me. Here are my favorite episodes:

Volume I
-My First Adventure
-Perils of Cupid
-Travels with Father
-Spring Break Adventure
-Love's Sweet Song: I always rewatch the scene where Indy and Vicky are speaking in different languages.

Volume II
-Trenches of Hell: It was awesome to see how Indy changed in the 3 months between London, 1916 and Somme when he tells that soldier to "quiet down!". Also, I'm a fan of Prison Break so you can imagine how great the 2nd segment was for me.
-Verdun, 1916 (didn't like the Mata Hari episode)
-Phantom Train of Doom
-Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life and Death
-Attack of the Hawkmen

Paris, 1916 and Adventures in the Secret Service weren't as good as the others.

HellofaSandwich

Despite being about a completely different subject matter than what the films dealt with, Phantom Train of Doom felt the most similar to the trilogy -- so much so that the composers felt obliged to recycle some of the music from Last Crusade! Plus Indy's character development was handled very well, as he learns both how to improvise in dangerous situations and maintain discipline and rational thinking.

It really was one of the better attempts by the series to look at the character of Indiana Jones and explain how he became the kind of man he is in the films. A lot of the other episodes sacrificed this balance in favor of shoehorning a few too many historical figures into the plot, IMHO.

As for Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, I realize that I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it compares well to the films. It aims high, but compared to the rest of the series, it felt a bit like a rush job. It's still fun, though.