copyright on Youtube

Bjorn Heimdall

I recently had a video removed off my youtube channel because of the following reason:

A copyright owner has claimed it owns some or all of the audio content in your video Mistök með meiru. The audio content identified in your video is LOVE THEME FROM THE GODFATHER by CARLO SAVINA & SOUNDTRACK - GO. We regret to inform you that your video has been blocked from playback due to a music rights issue.

So I'm guessing they are upping the copyright claims, It was my belief that I could use copyrighted music as long as I did not benifit from it financially... I'm hoping this is an isolated incident as I would hate for them to remove my Brokeback Mountain in Iceland video, which has a fair amount of views...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Depends on the country laws and how they deal with copyright. In most regions as far as I've studied, even if you're not financially benefitting from it, you still have to have some kind of written permission or release form and to credit the artist. Though what I find stupid about Youtube, is that there are plenty of videos out there using copyrighted stuff that don't get taken down.

I would think that if you at least credit the artist in the video description or in the video's end credits, that you wouldn't get in trouble. However, I really wish more people would convert to Creative Commons instead of full copyright.

Finn

Staff member
Violet Indy said:
Though what I find stupid about Youtube, is that there are plenty of videos out there using copyrighted stuff that don't get taken down.
I've been under impression that they only take down vids when requested so by the copyright holders. And they have to search or stumble upon them in order to make the request (there's no system to automatically inform them, I figure) so no wonder it's a crapshoot.