Filming Locations

ColinK

jones junior said:
Hello everyone!
This is my first post here. I decided to share my observations on Indiana Jones filming locations. This topic is one of my favorites. I hope that my additions to this topic you will have interesting. ;) So, I will begin with ROTLA. The locations are approximate, but very close to the real (I think :rolleyes: ). ..... Part of the truck chase I think was shot around this area - about 7 km NE of Metlaoui, Tunisia on the C122 road (34°21'55.57"N, 8°25'44.36"E)

metlaouitunisia.jpg

By my opinion this is the same location, but I am not sure. :rolleyes:

I got all my Indy locations on Google Earth file (and a lot of pics) :hat: .
One link about Tunisian locations http://homepage.ntlworld.com/colin.kenworthy1/compare.htm
That's all for now. Soon I will post and other Indy filming locations. I hope you like it!

Hi Jones Junior, thanks for making this photo comparison I've never looked at these two pics side by side and made the connection. I think you are correct. I have travelled along the modern tarmac road and it's hard to tell after 30 years whether the roads still exactly follow their old routes :D Next time I'm in Tunisia I'll check it out more closely. Incidentally, the dirt road where they filmed Indy going under the truck is just a little further up this road on a fork to the right (at the right hand base of that flat topped hill).

Thanks also for linking to my 'comparison' website, also to Indie House for pointing out my Kairouan video. Sadly I don't know where Sallah's terrace is or it would have gone in the video too. I had to cram everything in because of YouTube's 10 minute limit.

Thanks to all posters in this thread - I learned something new today :hat:

ColinK

6689852179_027a0757d4_b.jpg

This is that same flat hill from around the back taken on my hols a few months ago. I agree theyy are one and the same. :D :whip:

jones junior

MDew said:
I created new film location pages for each film on my Young Indy site. Should be easier to read/navigate now (and easier for me to edit). Complete with Google Maps that are as detailed as I could make them. I'm hoping to make the "definitive" guide to Indy locations - so if you have more details to fill in I could use the help!
:whip: CHECK IT OUT!(y)

Hello MDew,
I can send you all of the locations that I know in Google Earth format (kml). If you are interested please give me some mail. I can't send you PM for some reasons and that's why I'm writing you here. :hat: By the way, great work you have done! Congrats for the site!

russds

Not sure if this site has been mentioned before:
http://www.youtube.com/user/herveattia

They have some great videos of locations, and some of their videos (goonies, ET) go into great detail, showing locations, and superimposing them with shots from the films, really a nice effect. Unfortunately I don't see they have any Indy ones, they have a very short Raiders one, but only shows the washington city stairway from the end. I haven't looked around their site a whole lot, maybe they are planning to do an Indy film, that would be great!

russds

While doing some research to find where the shooting location was for Jones' senior house in LC:

Jones_house_utah.jpg

I found this interesting site: http://www.indianajoneshome.com/index.htm

Apparently the house has become a bed and breakfast. They have a google plus page: https://plus.google.com/104287897734480519056/about?gl=us&hl=en

And it's labeled on google maps as "Indiana Jones Home".

Looks like a cute little small town with some fun train stuff, the website says visitors can ride the same train that Indy rode.

jones junior

Hi Colin!
I want to ask you something. As I know you were already in Tunisia and you saw all these locations in person. Have you been on Tanis locations from ROTLA? If you do and if you got the GPS coordinates of these locations (map room, well of souls, flying wing airport, tanis digs) can you give them to me? I browse for them on the net and still can't find anything about. :confused: Only pictures, but no data. Thank you in advance! I appreciate it! :)

ColinK

Hi jj, yes I've visited all the Tanis locations you mention. As you probably know they are all in a 100M circle, all very close to each other. I am away from home right now but when I get on my pc I will be able to look at my gps files. For now, this is the location of the Staff car photo above taken in May 2012. The place has deteriorated a little!
8017571413_dbe04e7fbc_b.jpg

ColinK

russds said:
Unfortunately I don't see they have any Indy ones, they have a very short Raiders one, but only shows the washington city stairway from the end. I haven't looked around their site a whole lot, maybe they are planning to do an Indy film, that would be great!

@russds, indeed a Raiders one is in the works, albeit slowly. Thanks to Brandon Alinger, Herve has been to Hawaii and shot all the locations. Between Brandon and myself we have given Herve all the locations we know of in Tunisia and I can understand any hesitance to head out there at the present time. The other US and UK locations should be easy enough.

jones junior

Hi ColinK,
Thank you for the update and sharing this great photo. :whip: I've been never before seen this location in such close angle. I am waiting impatiently your further GPS data update. :)

jones junior

Does anybody know the exact location of the building in Macau, that was used for Club Obi Wan exterior scenes in ToD? It was a disused hotel, but I can't find any information about it. Please let me know if someone knows this location. This is my personal enigma of the Indiana Jones filming locations. :)

ColinK

jones junior said:
... Part of the truck chase I think was shot around this area - about 7 km NE of Metlaoui, Tunisia on the C122 road (34°21'55.57"N, 8°25'44.36"E)

metlaouitunisia.jpg

By my opinion this is the same location, but I am not sure. :rolleyes:
Comparing the movie screen capture with my location pic (a few posts above) you can see just how much the mining industry in Metlaoui has changed the landscape over the last 30 years. What were just a few piles of earth at the side of the road are now huge hills of earth obscuring the original view. Even the two roads in the movie screen cap are deserted, a third road way over on the right is now the main road.

ColinK

8119808197_0951078f04_b.jpg

TANIS. The approx GPS is at the bottom of the photo. It is really close to Star Wars Canyon.
1 Map Room entrance
2 Well of Souls entrance
3 Fallen obelisk
4 Theodolite point
5 Well of Souls exit
6 Monowing
7 Really steep hill Indy (Vic Armstrong) rode down to get on the truck

jones junior

Greetings ColinK,
Thank you for all of the locations at Tanis digs site. Today I learned some new locations. Below I attach a view of Metlaoui locations. Can you tell me am I close in my supposition of these two locations? I think I am very close. What do you think?
metlaoui2.jpg

1 The location of the staff car
2 Indy being dragged behind the truck

MDew

Wow, nice finds guys thanks for sharing! Hope you don't mind if I add them to the Google Map on my site?

Question:
airstripdetail.jpg

I never noticed this on the Google image until now - Is this the remains of the actual circle of the airstrip the flying wing was on? I heard that it was still (partially) intact at the location and this seems to prove it. :confused:

jones junior

MDew said:
I never noticed this on the Google image until now - Is this the remains of the actual circle of the airstrip the flying wing was on? I heard that it was still (partially) intact at the location and this seems to prove it. :confused:

Yeah! I was thinking about that too. It looks pretty much like the flying wing airstrip.

ColinK

Sorry to say that concrete circle you see is only the length of two cars in diameter. Way too small, but a nice reminder all the same. The large circle in the movie has been broken up to make way for the plantation (dates / pomegranates) piles of broken concrete can be found nearby. The whole plantation at Point 6 was bare during the filming, and its a shame in a way as it obscures many of the original views from the movie.

ColinK

jones junior said:
Greetings ColinK,
Thank you for all of the locations at Tanis digs site. Today I learned some new locations. Below I attach a view of Metlaoui locations. Can you tell me am I close in my supposition of these two locations? I think I am very close. What do you think?

1 The location of the staff car
2 Indy being dragged behind the truck
Hi, you are spot on with 1 and its approx where I took my photo from. For 2 you need to look at the bottom right corner of your pic at the diagonal road running alongside and underneath a conyeyor belt. Its hard to say after all the years if it still follows the exact same route, the original road may be buried under the huge amounts of mining waste dumped alongside the current road. However its the right area as some background hills match up to behind the scenes documentary clips.

jones junior

ColinK said:
Hi, you are spot on with 1 and its approx where I took my photo from. For 2 you need to look at the bottom right corner of your pic at the diagonal road running alongside and underneath a conyeyor belt. Its hard to say after all the years if it still follows the exact same route, the original road may be buried under the huge amounts of mining waste dumped alongside the current road. However its the right area as some background hills match up to behind the scenes documentary clips.

Regarding point 2 you are absolutely right. I made my assumption after I watched some behind the scenes documentary from Indiana Jones DVD collection. That is the route where Harrison Ford was dragged behind the truck. And the other road that you've pointed (diagonal road running alongside and underneath a conyeyor belt) is where other shots of the scene was filmed. Mostly with a stunt performer. :gun: Thank you for all this information. :hat: And still what do you think about the Club Obi Wan location in Macau? I wonder is this location forever lost? :(