anyone playedStar Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

bored

Hello I am thinking of buying Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic but to honest I don't know much about the game. I hear it has been given high ratings but I usually play a lot of first person shooters such as jedi academy but this game is a rpg but I have never played an rpg before so can some body please how it differs to a shoot em up like Jedi outcast/ academy in terms of gameplay

Also a thing that puts me off the game is the combat because I have heard that you cannot control or you have to select your moves and the characters play the moves out which to be honest doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Katarn07

If you love Star Wars, get it! I love Star Wars and have played most of the games that LEC has published and this is by far the best (maybe it's tied with the original Dark Forces, the DOS shoot 'em up from '95. Great game :D)

If you don't love Star Wars but think it's ok and are in need of a good story, get it! It's got an epic story line that has the freedom of creativity because it's set so long before the movies. And don't let that to throw you off. It's just like the movies (I felt it's better than the Prequels in some ways). The best part of it is the climax. From there on I couldn't stop playing it. The combat is gonna be really weird and maybe even boring to you since you don't ever play RPGs. That's ok though because the fact it immerses you into the SW world is by far enough to get it.

The first planet really sucks when you wanna replay the game because you're not a Jedi yet, but it really held my attention the first time through it. I just loved wandering the place talking to people or my party memebers. Once you get off that planet, it's non-stop fun really.

It really is a great game; once I get XBOX Live I plan on downloading the new content (which the PC version already came with; it's a whole new planet and more equipment). The sequel is already in the works so you'd best get that and play it before that comes out.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Whether you like or hate Starwars, games, computers or even strawberries, get it!

WARNING!!!!
This game is very addictive, while playing you might forget you actually have a real life or think that you're real life takes place in the SW univers.

I'm a big fan of Jedi Knight I&II and KOTOR is different but better in my opinion. As for the combat system it's completly different, it may feel a little weird at first for a hardcore FPS gamer, cause it's only half real time combat: you decide the actions of your team and then you get to whatch the result (which is generally spectacular).

once I get XBOX Live I plan on downloading the new content (which the PC version already came with; it's a whole new planet and more equipment). The sequel is already in the works so you'd best get that and play it before that comes out.

If you're talking about the Yavin4 space station they added then don't get too excited, it's realy nothing, just a shop where you can buy special (very expensive and usless in my opinion) stuff. So if you were going to get Xbox live just for that then don't.

Katarn07

I forgot to mention this game is the reason I got an XBOX. Yes, I was willing to dish out 180 bucks for a console instead of waiting a year or so for my new PC.

And vaxer: I'm kinda disappointed now. I was under the impression it had some quests. I also heard something about Trandoshans being there I thought (which are a reptilian species that are the enslavers of Wookies instead of Czerka Corps during the time era of the movies). I was gonna get Live anyways to play Jedi Academy and Halo 2 online and get loads of content for Secret Weapons Over Normandy.

Yes, it is addicitive. It took me around a month to complete and there was one day where it was storming and I spent nearly 12 hours playing it. I was pissed when the power went out and I hadn't been saving it regularly. :mad:

Also, I actually got a phone call from someone while the climax of the game was being played out (the biggest moment in the game where the twist takes place) and I told them I'd call back later. Yeah, I forgot to and kept playing it and she was kinda pissed at me for awhile :p

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Matthias1138 said:
And vaxer: I'm kinda disappointed now. I was under the impression it had some quests. I also heard something about Trandoshans being there I thought (which are a reptilian species that are the enslavers of Wookies instead of Czerka Corps during the time era of the movies).

Well the first time you go to the space station there's a group of people (I didn't know they were Trandoshans) but if I remember well you just exchange a few lines and then they leave. Sorry to disappoint you. I can't wait til KOTOR2 and I hope the story is as good cause KOTOR really had a SW movie-like senario. They say you'll have new powers like combat meditation, new locations...uh can't wait!

Katarn07

There's going to be more characters and some from the original (they may or may not join you depending on the outcome of the original). Sounds like some good replay value. And the best part: you start with a lightsaber and a few force powers!

00Kevin

Indyfan
KOTOR is the one of the best game I have played in a long time, one of my favorite games. The Sequel is ganna rock!

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I love KotOR! Can't wait for KotOR II to come out...I'm awating that almost as much as Halo 2.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
btw they just released new sceenshots (a new planet)

18.jpg

Last edited:

Onya

My friend loves that game. Originally he borrowed it, but then later went out and bought it even though he already won.

From what I saw of it, it looked pretty good.

Katarn07

www.echonetwork.net

Great fan-based gaming site. We cover everything and everything about KotOR2 (as well as other SW games).

As you can see in the screens on the main page, there's some movie-like Jedi Robes and a decent shot of one of the new NPCs.

grumpus

now i started the game when it first came out and i never even got halfway through the first planet, but i started playing it again last week and im at the end of it right now. its way more fun once you leave Taris. and KOTOR 2, have any of you seen the stuff about one of the new bad guys, Darth Sion, that dude is weird, i cant wait till it comes out. im with Aaron H, im waiting for it almost as much as Halo 2 :cool:

whipem

I love the game, even though my computer always freezes when I get to Dantooine. So that's the farthest I've gotten. The game is still worth it, though.