Indy decided to wear his satchel on the outside?

chr0n0naut

Has anyone else picked up that Indy wears his satchel bag over the top of his jacket in Crystal Skull? In the previous 3 films he always puts his jacket over the top.

I suppose after the events of LC Indy decided that he'd better wear his satchel on the outside, just in case he was thrown onto a broken canon turret and got his satch stuck, thus enabling his opponent to crush him against a rock outcropping that the tank is headed towards :p

Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts? Which do you think looks better?

caats

haha i actually noticed this and i didn't like it only cause i thought it looks better under. it pushes the jacket down on the outside.

Dr. Wolfwood

Thoughs have been shared about this before. Some think that it makes the jacket look worse when the bag strap contracts it in the back, but I doubt any adventuring hero would be that worried about his looks. I think it is more handy to keep it outside.

caats

indiana_jones.jpg

Darth Vile

It's a strange one? as whether or not Indy wears his bag underneath or on top of his jacket is completely unimportant in the scheme of things. Yet - it's the sort of thing that makes you think, "why did they do that?", "what was the purpose?".

On another stupid note... I noticed that KOTCS is the first movie where you see Indy's socks. Or maybe that's just the advantage of blu-ray??? ;)

chr0n0naut

Darth Vile said:
On another stupid note... I noticed that KOTCS is the first movie where you see Indy's socks. Or maybe that's just the advantage of blu-ray??? ;)

hahaha I noticed that too (I've got the DVD version though).

Not what I pictured his socks to look like - but then again I've never really thought about it... :p

Kevin

Darth Vile said:

I think you can see Indy's socks in ROTLA right after he dives out of the temple and is sitting on the ground. Look when Belloq's boots are walking over, just before the camera pans up.

I also seem to remember seeing Indy's socks when he is sitting on the elephant in TOD, but that might have been a production photo.

nitzsche

Someone tell me where you see Indy's socks in KotCS. Someone pointed out in another thread that he had two different colored socks on.

I would like to think the satchel on the outside was a conscious choice based on the perils of the tank fight.

Dr Bones

Umm..I never noticed that at all!! I was preoccupied at the fact he had a backpack!

The KOTCS figure I got came with the satchel on the inside as did ROTLA Indy with fertility idol and deluxe with horse.

My KOTCS Indy aslo has the best likeness IMO. (Oversized hat aside) :hat:

So maybe I will have to change the bag?

The Golden Idol

Dr Bones said:
So maybe I will have to change the bag?

No. If you want to put it outside the jacket, just remove the "vest" part of the jacket, take off the satchel, put the jacket back on, and put the satchel over his shoulder.

The Magic Rat

Darth Vile said:
It's a strange one? as whether or not Indy wears his bag underneath or on top of his jacket is completely unimportant in the scheme of things. Yet - it's the sort of thing that makes you think, "why did they do that?", "what was the purpose?".

I noticed, too! It was a "that was odd" moment.

chr0n0naut

nitzsche said:
Someone tell me where you see Indy's socks in KotCS. Someone pointed out in another thread that he had two different colored socks on.

I would like to think the satchel on the outside was a conscious choice based on the perils of the tank fight.

You see his socks just before the jungle chase scene, after Dovchenko has just been kicked unconscious. When Mutt wiggles his switch-blade out of his boot you can see Indy's socks.

Not sure where you see them as different coloured socks though.

Oh and yeah it seems to make sense that Indy would change the way he wears his satchel after the tank fight - not to mention that he would hardly have had time to take his jacket off, put his satchel on and put his jacket back on at the beginning of the jungle chase :p

Dr. Wolfwood

Way of the dodo said:
The new way makes more sense. Imagine having that strap cutting into your shoulder all day long.

It's not that bad, actually. In summers I often walk around all day with the Mk VII bag with me and the strap never really bothers me - even when the bag is full of stuff. Still, it _does_ bother a little less when I've got my jacket on and the bag on top of it...

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
My belief is that the decision was mostly Ford's to wear the bag ontop of the jacket. These movies don't really take in account reality as much as we think. Not that it makes any serious difference but I do prefer the bag strap on the inside.

As for the socks, they were viewable from the first trailer in the scene where Dovchenko hits the ground between Indy's legs with the chain.

chr0n0naut

Dr. Wolfwood said:
In summers I often walk around all day with the Mk VII bag

:eek: You have one!? This is probably the wrong category thread to ask, but where and how did you get it?

I can get everything - the pants, the jacket, the holster, the hat, the shirt, even a proper whip (which my uncle is going to teach me to to crack :whip:).

But for the life of me I can't find an accurate satchel (my Mum's old hand-bag just doesn't quite cut it :p)

chr0n0naut

Oh and not sure if anyone gets this, but to the right of my screen I get an advertisement for the "Real Action Heroes" 12-INCH Figures and Indy has the satchel on the inside (of the jacket) over his shoulder but on the outside over his hip.

Just another useless fact for insane fans to mull over :p