I still like it!

Wilhelm

The same criticism was heard when Raiders was released (And Doom, and Crusade). Even Lawrence Kasdan didn't like those things:

"Considering Lucasfilm's judicious editing of Kasdan's script before filming commenced, it's surprising that a couple of incredibly confusing scenes did make it into the movie. One such sequence is when Indiana Jones and a crew of Arabs are surreptitiously digging at the real site of the Well of Souls in direst view of the Nazis! To accept the picture's not having the Germans discover Indy and his men immediately, one has to either believe that the Nazis, thus far shown as a shrewd menace, have suddenly become absurdly stupid, or chalk it up to poetic license.

"I don't condone that kind of story element," Kasdan admits. "When that scene was written, there was no way that Indy's group was supposed to be so close to the Nazis. Indy was digging on a totally separate site several sand dunes away from the Nazis. They were discovered much later only when the Nazis spotted the smoke rising from the Arab's torches. When Steven asked me about what I thought of the film after I saw it, that was one of the few things that bothered me enough to mention it to him. Obviously, the logistics of their location dictated that shot set-up, but I told Steven that if he took out the daylight establishing shot showing how close the two groups are, the sequence wouldn't have been as bothersome. Then I asked Steven, 'Why are the Arabs singing?' That makes it even worse."

Another perplexing moment for audiences comes when the film shows Indy swimming towards the German's submarine and then abruptly cuts to the sub inside its pen with Indy in an adjoining hallway.

"Indy got to the pen by swimming to the sub and then climbing on top of it until he reached its periscope," Kasdan explains. "I know that part was filmed, because I saw it at one of the first previews. It's since been cut. What I'm not sure was ever shot was how had Indy lash himself to the periscope with his whip. I liked that a lot, because it made good use of the whip.

Another annoyance for filmgoers are some of Raiders' incongruous comedic moments, including Sallah's bursting into song after bidding farewell to Indy, and Marion Ravenwood's accidentally hitting Indy on the head with a full-sized mirror. These off-beat touches suggest that perhaps Spielberg couldn't get his last film, 1941, a slapstick World War 11 comedy, totally out of his mind. "Those broader comedy elements were created independently from me," says Kasdan. "They bothered me quite a bit, but it balances out, because some really good things in Raiders, such as lndy's confrontation with the Arab swordsman, the classroom scene, and the Nazi's coat hanger, were also innovated by Steven."

"What bothers KASDAN the most about RAIDERS's final form is its lack of character development. A prime example is Indiana Jones's first meeting with Marion Ravenwood at "The Raven" bar. Even Raiders's most ardent fans admit that that scene's lines are horribly stilted.

"It's really weak" Kasdan concurs "Some of the best writing I've ever done was in that scene, but all that's left is its beginning and end. Those lines actually make sense, but only when the rest of the dialogue is played out".

"Another scene that hurt", adds Kasdan, "was Marion's bit with Belloq in the tent. They had me write that scene FOUR times and THEY wrote an entirely new scene which they shot. The way it is now, some people get the scene drift-and some don't. What you're supposed to understand is that Marion is not faking being drunk and that she actually does have a certain admiration for Belloq. I had had that scene set up in the story beforehand by having Indy be suspicious of Marion's feelings towards Belloq. All that's left of that subplot now is his line after the tent scene when Indy says to her "Where did you get that dress"?

"I guess that all of this bothers me because I have the character background in the script" Kasdan confides " With Indy and Marion's first scene in the Raven Steven even shot the whole thing. We always know it was a little long, but it's been chopped down to almost nothing. My feeling was that we should have edited a little of the chase sequences so that we'd have time to properly establish the characters" (STARLOG SEPT 1981)

And Temple of Doom by Alan Dean Foster: it could be exactly the same review for KOTCS:

"An effort like Temple of Doom is in trouble even before the title appears on the screen. Not only is it a sequel to a hugely successful predecessor, but Steven Spielberg and George Lucas hace placed themselves in the unenviable position of having to top themselves every time out (...) The audience expects Temple of Doom to do the impossible. It does not, and because the expectations for the picture are so high, all of its lapses and failures are magnified. Instead of being rated against itself or other films of the same ilk, viewers find themselves comparing it not only to Raiders of the Lost Ark, but to E.T. and Star Wars. This does not obscure the fact that Romancing the Stone is a better film of the same type. (...) What the audience will not accept is someone stepping out of an airplane with only an inflated rubber life raft to cushion his fall of several thousand feet (...) What the falling-out-of-the-plane bit does is shout to the audience "You must accept this because it's only a movie". That's fatal to a fantasy. The audience feels cheated, doubly so when the impossible plunge is repeated seconds later as the raft careens over a precipice. By ignoring the laws of reality, the illusion of reality that the film aspires to its destroyed. The dream has been punctured. It's popcorn time.
Toward the end of the film, Indiana and his friends are being chased through a mine tunnel labyrinth. Both pursued and pursuers race along a breakneck speed in runaway mine cars. So far so exciting. And then we're smacked in the face with another "Awwwww, come onnnn!". A section of track is missing and there is a gap and drop before they resume. The decidedly unaerodynamic mine car carrying Indy and his friends rockets off the broken rails, lears the gap, and lands with a precision no space shuttle crew could achieve on the rails opposite, to continue its journey. You can't sell this stuff to kids, much less to adults. They've been educated to the perils of speed: by Tv cops shows, by Driver's Ed in school, by Disneyland. Everyone in the audience knows such a feat is impossible. (...) It's the writers who must bear the blame for the story's lapses of logic. As Indiana is fleeing gangsters in Shanghai, he escapes to a waiting plane. How does the airport agent know Indiana has 2 companions coming with him? For that matter , since the gangsters own the plane and have already planned to maroon Indiana aboard it, why they chase him all over the city and risk getting shot? (...)
Another difference, and an important one to the audience, between Raiders and Temple of Doom is the absence in the second film of fantasy elements. About all we're given is the sequence showing Ram removing the heart of his still-living victim, an effect done better and more frequently in David Cronenberg's Videodrome. Temple of Doom boasts no swirling evil spirits, no blasts of supernatural fire, no boiling clouds. Again the trouble is with expectations. We expect the out-of-ordinary from Spielberg and Lucas. (...) I also thought better use could have been made of the Sri Lanka locations.(...)
Story, story, story, and it's not only the pacing that suffers in Temple Of Doom. Why is Mola Ram sacrificing people? Nothing in Temple Of Doom is ever explained. It's an idiot plot, where characters do things solely for the benefit of the film, not because it bears any relationship to the story. In Raiders we know why everybody's after the Ark of the Covenant, we know what the Nazis want, we see relationships developing between REAL people. There are no real people in Temple of Doom; only ciphers. Characters must have motivation. It's not enough for Mola Ram to act evil: he has to have a reason to be evil. Mola Ram is coming from nowhere and going noplace. Cipher. (...)
And that, in the last analysis, is why you leave the theater feeling uncomfortable at the conclusion of Temple of Doom. You know you've watched a well-made, lavishly produced film that seems to have delivered all it promised. It just doesn't sit right, and the reason why is simple. No magic".

Starlog (Nov 84)

History repeats itself.

Last edited:

sandiegojones

The Stranger said:
1) Gunpowder is NOT magnetic. Still one of the key scenes at the beginning of the film is totally driven by that assumption. It's the very first scene to introduce the plot, and it's all based on something WRONG. How could that be??

2) How could Indy and Mutt find the cemetery and the tomb of Orellana, given that the only clue they had at their disposal was an unclear glyph on a floor??

3) When Indy and the others finally arrive to the Inca temple, it is clearly shown that the only way to enter is to activate the mechanism that opens the four great pillars at the top of the pyramid. It is a rudimental mechanism, probably an alien antenna, that has been EVIDENTLY conceived to be used just once, since re-charging all that sand and re-positioning the pillars would be a completely impossible job for the Ugha guardians to do.
But, if Orellana and his conquistadores managed to enter the temple, this means that they already should have activated it, centuries ago.

4) How could Orellana actually ENTER the alien spaceship, when it is CLEARLY shown that the only way to do it is BEING an alien or at least ALREADY HAVING an alien skull?? How could Orellana ultimately enter and steal the skull, if he didn't have it already?? Does it make any sense??

Okay, these have been answered several times over the past year.

1) After WWI gunpowder was coated with graphite to prevent unwanted explosions. Graphite is magnetic. At the time this could have been possible. Gunpowder is a little different nowadays.

2) The letter Mutt brought to Indy from Oxley gave the location of the grave. Indy just didn't realize it until he saw Oxley's cell and all of the engravings. Once they got to the cemetery Indy figures the rest out himself. The cemetery itself was not a secret, just the chamber where Orellana was entombed.

3) The temple was likely not shut when Orellana first got to Akator. He arrived and was likely welcomed by the Ugha and the aliens. Orellana and his men were brought inside the temple and likely tried to steal the treasure. They killed an alien and took the skull and on their way out, the staircase collapsed and some of Orellana's men fell to their deaths and the temple was shut. There are some depictions of the conquistadors arriving and killing and alien on the wall of the Ugha temple that you can see before they pop out of the walls (you can also see them on the special features disc on the DVD).

4) See number 3. :whip:

Wilhelm said:
Story, story, story, and it's not only the pacing that suffers in Temple Of Doom. Why is Mola Ram sacrificing people? Nothing in Temple Of Doom is ever explained. It's an idiot plot, where characters do things solely for the benefit of the film, not because it bears any relationship to the story. In Raiders we know why everybody's after the Ark of the Covenant, we know what the Nazis want, we see relationships developing between REAL people. There are no real people in Temple of Doom; only ciphers. Characters must have motivation. It's not enough for Mola Ram to act evil: he has to have a reason to be evil. Mola Ram is coming from nowhere and going noplace. Cipher. (...)
And that, in the last analysis, is why you leave the theater feeling uncomfortable at the conclusion of Temple of Doom. You know you've watched a well-made, lavishly produced film that seems to have delivered all it promised. It just doesn't sit right, and the reason why is simple. No magic".
Starlog (Nov 84) History repeats itself.

Wow, thanks for the articles...one I haven't ever read and the other not in a very long time.

deckard24

Thanks for the articles Wilhelm, I've never seen those before!:hat:

They definitely are very telling, and offer a lot of insight into how things could've been.

Darth Vile

Wilhelm said:
The same criticism was heard when Raiders was released (And Doom, and Crusade). Even Lawrence Kasdan didn't like those things...

History repeats itself.

Thanks Wilhelm.

I've still got hard copies of these too... as well as a dozen more reviews at the time of original release (for both TOD and TLC). Most of them seem to focus on the same type of criticisms e.g. lack of plot (or plot holes), ridiculous action/set pieces and stilted dialogue. What detractors of KOTCS would have you believe is that, whilst the original sequels weren’t perfect, they were so much better… which is a very revisionist/blinkered way of looking at it.

Ultimately, anyone with half a mind understands that each Indy movie is part of the same beast. You either accept and forgive them their foibles, or you flame them all with relatively equal measure (something some detractors find it difficult to do). That’s not to say that movies shouldn’t be critiqued and discussed (as it’s 99% of the fun)… but it should be done with some modicum of distance and perspective.

What's interesting about the quotes from Kasdan, is that I'm not convinced Raiders would have been better if he'd gotten his way. In fact, I'm not sure it would have been as good. Everything he says is logical and makes sense, but ultimately you need a Spielberg/Lucas to push the boundaries of "what you can get away with", for the overall good of the movie. I think Raiders is one of the best examples of that.

Last edited:

graz

Glad to see that review of TOD posted. Don't get me wrong, I like TOD but it is my least favourite of the films. When you tell people that it had a decidedly mixed reception at the time (much like KOTCS) they often seem incredulous like you're making it up. I think it has just as many 'straining credulity' issues as KOTCS.

Wilhelm

I think KOTCS is much more like TOD with that style of pulp adventure and incredible set pieces. I love both of them.

It's curious that the critics of the 80s (And Kasdan) said the same than the KOTCS haters: poor character development, unbelievable action scenes, goofy scenes...

I'm sure that if Raiders was released in 2008 instead of Mutt & monkeys haters would complain about Sallah singing or the mirror gag in the Bantu Wind.

I think people are very cynical and they don't know why they like a movie.

Darth Vile

Wilhelm said:
I think KOTCS is much more like TOD with that style of pulp adventure and incredible set pieces. I love both of them.

It's curious that the critics of the 80s (And Kasdan) said the same than the KOTCS haters: poor character development, unbelievable action scenes, goofy scenes...

I'm sure that if Raiders was released in 2008 instead of Mutt & monkeys haters would complain about Sallah singing or the mirror gag in the Bantu Wind.

I think people are very cynical and they don't know why they like a movie.

I do think Raiders is tangibly "better" than the other movies primarily because it has some modicum of originality (in a post-modern sense), and it had the majority of better ideas (due to it being the first). More importantly, it had a certain degree of verisimilitude, in the writing and direction, that both defines "Indiana Jones" and sets it apart from the others.

However, when it comes to TOD, TLC and KOTCS... I find them to be much of a muchness quality wise (although my personal preference is for TLC)...

James

Darth Vile said:
I do think Raiders is tangibly "better" than the other movies primarily because it has some modicum of originality (in a post-modern sense), and it had the majority of better ideas (due to it being the first).

I think it also stems from the fact that Spielberg had a completely different agenda after the failure of 1941. ROTLA was as much an experiment in lean filmmaking as a homage to old serials. But after achieving that goal, there was no need for Spielberg to do it again.

So the focus shifted, with each successive film exploring new facets of both the character and his world.

Darth Vile

James said:
I think it also stems from the fact that Spielberg had a completely different agenda after the failure of 1941. ROTLA was as much an experiment in lean filmmaking as a homage to old serials. But after achieving that goal, there was no need for Spielberg to do it again.

So the focus shifted, with each successive film exploring new facets of both the character and his world.

Agreed. Raiders is not a directorial excessive movie (if you know what I mean). :)

emtiem

Darth Vile said:
I think conceptually you can argue that they are similar. However, I'd say that Raiders is more successful in keeping an air of suspense and mystery in its dénouement (you are never really sure about what's happening). The reveal of the Ark's powers is somewhat more "classy" and imaginative, and even after all these years, is still a very clever piece of cinema (IMHO).

Well, sort of- we are told that the Ark has powers very early on in the film, and the film rather depends upon us believing that it does, otherwise everyone is just running around and killing each other for a nice gold box. In the same way, we're told the skull has powers- it takes until the end when we find out the exact nature of them.

James

emtiem said:
we are told that the Ark has powers very early on in the film, and the film rather depends upon us believing that it does

It's interesting that Raiders is the only film that actually shows the audience what the MacGuffin will eventually do. After reading the story transcripts, I suspect this was born out of Lucas' fear that the audience wouldn't accept the Ark's power. But hey, if you show them a picture of something in an old book, it suddenly makes it seem credible.

Speaking of which, what are the odds that Indy would just happen to have a photo on it on hand? :D

sgttom

Yea I noticed that too. Indy just has the book sitting right there and he knows the exact page to go to. Maybe Marcus had it all set up for him;) I guess the audience doesn't want to see him taking forever to find a picture of the ark though.

Insomniac

Indy's Fist said:
After a year I have watched KOTCS several times, about ten. I have read may of the posts here and elsewhere. I have tried to understand the perspective of those who don't like it. That said, I still can't not like KOTCS. I still see a fun IJ adventure. I have tried but just can't find the flaws that so many others claim to have seen, or at the very least let the flaws bring the whole movie down as other have. If that were the case I'd have to break down the other IJ films and maybe they wouldn't seem as good as I like to remember.
I know it makes my heart fly to see an Indy movie less than 100 and stilll almost know every line...
I still Love it too.

Darth Vile

emtiem said:
Well, sort of- we are told that the Ark has powers very early on in the film, and the film rather depends upon us believing that it does, otherwise everyone is just running around and killing each other for a nice gold box. In the same way, we're told the skull has powers- it takes until the end when we find out the exact nature of them.

I wouldn't agree. In Raiders, Indy is skeptical about the Ark having "powers". His skepticism reflects the audiences. He is the audiences eyes into the story/movie. Not only is Indy skeptical, but clearly the US government is too (as is evidenced by the conversation at the college). The military/government just get caught up in a race to obtain something the Nazi's believe to be (or more importantly Hitler) important. It's actual "power" is largely academic.

I think this aspect of the movie mainly goes unnoted now... but for anyone who watched the movie first time around, it's one of the reasons the dénouement is/was so powerful. It's easy in hindsight (after 4 movies), to make the association between Indy and the supernatural, the power of the Gods, aliens etc. but when Raiders first came out, it wasn't. It was quite unexpected and left field (also remember that many went into movies without the spoilers we get today). No one (without prior information) was expecting angels of death, melting faces, exploding heads and heavenly thunder and lightning... But after Raiders, that type of climax became anticipated/expected.
:)

emtiem

Indy's sceptical, yeah; but so's Scully in the X-Files and no-one watched that expecting (or wanting) her point of view to be proven right. I think the audience would expect the Ark to have the supernatural power we're told it has, otherwise it would be a massive anti-climax. Williams' portentous music rams home how ominous this thing is, we see the medallion shooting out an incredible light beam (not supernatural, no; but fantastical), the Ark comes alive for the first time on the ship... I really don't think it's a surprise to anyone, more than that- the audience are actively wanting it to come alive in order to make the whole film satisfying and Indy's journey worthwhile. It's the old Chekhov's Gun thing.

Darth Vile

emtiem said:
Indy's sceptical, yeah; but so's Scully in the X-Files and no-one watched that expecting (or wanting) her point of view to be proven right. I think the audience would expect the Ark to have the supernatural power we're told it has, otherwise it would be a massive anti-climax. Williams' portentous music rams home how ominous this thing is, we see the medallion shooting out an incredible light beam (not supernatural, no; but fantastical), the Ark comes alive for the first time on the ship... I really don't think it's a surprise to anyone, more than that- the audience are actively wanting it to come alive in order to make the whole film satisfying and Indy's journey worthwhile. It's the old Chekhov's Gun thing.

I think you are missing my point. I can only tell you about my experience/perception of it (and others) when I saw it first time around. Can I ask how old you are? As that's quite pertinent.

Also, I'm not sure the X-Files is a fitting example... as it's premise has always been about the investigation of the supernatural/alien. Raiders was sold as an action adventure movie about a daring archaeologist on the hunt for an ancient relic.

Last edited:

emtiem

Darth Vile said:
I think you are missing my point. I can only tell you about my experience/perception of it (and others) when I saw it first time around. Can I ask how old you are? As that's quite pertinent.

I'm thirty; but if anything that means I approached with less knowledge of it than those who went to the cinema- there was no promotion or poster for me; just a listing in the Radio Times. Are you just talking about the posters and trailers or the way the film was made? It'll be a surprise to people going in to the cinema, yes (perhaps it was to me, but I saw Raiders as a kid and can't actually remember my reaction), but by the scene with the FBI men no-one's expecting the Ark to be just an empty box. You were after all talking about Raiders keeping an 'air of suspense and mystery in its dénouement': my argument is that by the time you're watching it, it isn't a total surprise. You've been set up to believe and expect something supernatural. Did you throw your hands up in disgust and say "well I had no idea this film was a fantasy drama! I was expecting a realistic action adventure!" or, by that point in the movie, had you been convinced that this was a world where this could happen? Did it feel a total shock -enough to jolt you out of the movie- or did it feel like a natural -and needed- progression in the story?

I get your point, but I'm saying that during the film we are told, both by the characters and the film-makers, that the Ark is important, spooky and powerful: it if didn't turn out to have supernatural powers, and if we didn't see that- it would have been a failure as a piece of storytelling. It was no surprise that it was revealed to have those powers at the end- it was just the actual nature and power of the scene itself that came as a surprise.

It's not really pertinent as it wasn't in the film, but don't forget that the Idol in the opening scene was shot to have moving eyes: when Spielberg was shooting it he had the idea of this being a man who was involved with the supernatural. That's why the Ark's powers had to be real, and that's why he set us up to expect it.

Darth Vile said:
Also, I'm not sure the X-Files is a fitting example... as it's premise has always been about the investigation of the supernatural/alien. Raiders was sold as an action adventure movie about a daring archaeologist on the hunt for an ancient relic.

A reputedly supernatural relic- one that can shoot lightning! That was the premise of Raiders from the second reel. You don't set that Chekhov's gun up in a family adventure film and not fire it! :)

Last edited: