Crystal Skull and Star Trek

inky_skin

I remember reading a while back (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Indiana_Jones) that Star Trek: TNG pays homage to Indy via the name of a Shuttle Craft that docks with the Enterprise.

It appears at long last that there is a reciprocal link to Star Trek in the Indy-verse, as this picture will attest to...

3742689626_e55bc88056.jpg

3742726408_b3b3077f78.jpg

Star Trek set designers often labelled the pipes onboard Federation ships with the prefix 'GNDN' (literally 'Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing') as an in-joke amongst insiders. Judging by the lettering next to Mac, that sense of humor also existed on the latest Indy movie. Coincidence (as some KotCS crew also worked on the new ST) ? I think not...

Last edited:

Darth Vile

inky_skin said:
I remember reading a while back (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Indiana_Jones) that Star Trek: TNG pays homage to Indy via the name of a Shuttle Craft that docks with the Enterprise.

It appears at long last that there is a reciprocal link to Star Trek in the Indy-verse, as this picture will attest to...

Star Trek set designers often labelled the pipes onboard Federation ships with the prefix 'GNDN' (literally 'Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing') as an in-joke amongst insiders. Judging by the lettering next to Mac, that sense of humor also existed on the latest Indy movie. Coincidence (as some KotCS crew also worked on the new ST) ? I think not...

Great find. :D

Lance Quazar

Inky, the still picture you have used from the "Original Series" is actually faux Original Trek, as it's from the DS9 episode, "Trials and Tribble-ations."

Also, I'm fairly certain that the new Trek film had all new-comers to the Trek franchise, no carry-over from previous incarnations (which isn't say the KOTCS art dept. folks couldn't have been Trek fans.)

Crack that whip

Lance Quazar said:
Inky, the still picture you have used from the "Original Series" is actually faux Original Trek, as it's from the DS9 episode, "Trials and Tribble-ations."

Where did Inky say the pic was from the Original Series? As far as I could tell, it wasn't specified any more narrowly than just "Star Trek," which does apply.

inky_skin

Lance Quazar said:

Also, I'm fairly certain that the new Trek film had all new-comers to the Trek franchise, no carry-over from previous incarnations (which isn't say the KOTCS art dept. folks couldn't have been Trek fans.)

DS9 ? Wow, they did a real good job replicating the looks of the original series then ! Never really caught much of DS9, but the thought of certain characters dressed as ST yeomen... :)

I think there was some cross-over at ILM between KotCS and ST...I know there were some Star Wars alumni on the team (hence the R2D2 cameo). Incidentally, Gavin Bouquet has repeatedly said that R2 and 3PO are in KotCS...I'm wondering, based on the 'GNDN' stuff, if I should be looking for their names rather than their images ?

James

inky_skin said:
Gavin Bouquet has repeatedly said that R2 and 3PO are in KotCS...I'm wondering, based on the 'GNDN' stuff, if I should be looking for their names rather than their images ?

They're incorporated (along with E.T.) into the artwork in the alien throne room.

I don't think you can actually see them in the film, as they're on the little bricks that comprise the various thrones. But they are clearly shown in the behind-the-scenes documentary that's included on the dvd.

Lance Quazar

inky_skin said:
DS9 ? Wow, they did a real good job replicating the looks of the original series then ! Never really caught much of DS9, but the thought of certain characters dressed as ST yeomen... :)

OHMYGOD, you haven't seen "Trials and Tribble-ations"?!?!?!

DS9 was THE best of the modern Trek series and "Trials" was absolutely brilliant.

And, yes, Terry Farrell DOES dress up in a classic Trek uniform! :gun:

trialsandtribbleations3.jpg

Insomniac

The "Trekies" have invaded the pub I call home!:eek:
Mac and Spalkos are with the Klingon witch are trying to infiltrate the Raven!
We must defend this sacred "temple" for the sake to save boredom and booze!

Take Finn!

Crack that whip

Hey, Trek is great, and yes, "Trials and Tribble-ations" is a pure delight.

Hrmmm... I gather our friend Mr. Quazar is a bit taken with Terry Farrell / Jadzia Dax...

Lance Quazar

Crack that whip said:
Hey, Trek is great, and yes, "Trials and Tribble-ations" is a pure delight.

Hrmmm... I gather our friend Mr. Quazar is a bit taken with Terry Farrell / Jadzia Dax...

I didn't make that collage, but your assumption is correct. :)