Did you ever give up hope...?

Raiders90

The first talk about there being an Indy 4 seems to have begun around 1992/1993--Around the time Harrison appeared in the YIJC episode and when Fate of Atlantis came out. Many assumed that a new movie was well underway and that FoA would be Indy IV. As we now know, George had had the idea of a fourth Indy movie in 1992 while working with Harrison in Wyoming. And it involved aliens from the very beginning--Though no one knew that for certain at the time. So many theories about the artifact in Indy4 went out around fans--The Sword of Arthur, Garden of Eden, Atlantis, the Spear of Destiny--and by the mid 1990s anticipation for Indy 4 was beginning to really gear up.

Spielberg seems to indicate that he had accepted the Saucermen script grudgingly in late 1995/early '96 and intended to work as a Producer and have "some young kid" direct it. But then Independence Day came out in the summer of 1996 and any plans for an Indy meets Aliens movie were for the time crushed--as it would seem like Indy was ripping off that hugely popular film. So the idea for an Indy film, at least revolving around aliens, was temporarily scrapped in 1996 and Lucas began to devote his full energy toward the Star Wars prequels.

That didn't stop fan speculation or enthusiasm about a new Indy movie--It always seemed just another year away. No one in 1996, 1997, 1998, etc knew about any of the inside stuff outside of rumors. Things didn't really become serious until around 2000 and even then it was slow. By the mid 2000s it seemed like the prospect of an Indy4 ever seeing the light of day was dim--That it was a nice dream but something that wouldn't happen, sadly.

And then in January of 2007 if I'm not mistaken we got the sudden announcement that Indy 4 was indeed in production.

However--in all that time--from 1992 to 2007--did any of you ever give up hope that there would ever be an Indy4?

I ask this because of the dying hopes for an Indy 5. I realize the circumstances are different now due to Harrison's age...But it is kind of relevent in that we've sort of been in Development Hell before and yet we came out of it with an Indy 4.

Montana Smith

I hadn't been keeping up with Indy news so I didn't know about KOTCS until it was almost upon us.

I wouldn't be here but for KOTCS, as my interest in Indy has never been any more than my interest in many other fictional enterprises - such as Batman, Planet of the Apes, Star Wars, Hellboy, Scooby-Doo...

Those are all things that have stayed with me since the first time I came into contact with them. I'm surprised that my heightened interest has remained so strong for so long, as I usually go through manic obsessive phases that prioritize one or another interest for a short while.

And when I did discover that KOTCS was in production, it felt like a face-palm moment. I didn't want to believe it was happening since it seemd so wrong. In the end I found that resistsnce was futile and I conceded to watch a secondhand DVD.

In 2008 KOTCS boosted my interest above the other interests. That's all. So I never had any hope to give up.

I keep meaning to find a Scooby-Doo forum...

Stoo

In answer to your main question: No, because I never had any hope to begin with.

After "Crusade", I didn't think (nor ever imagine) that there would ever be a 4th Indy film so I was NEVER in the frame of mind of "hoping" for another. In the early '90s, the TV series was a surprising BONUS. After the "Chronicles" dwindled to an undignified end, I never (not even once) thought that Indy would be seen on the big screen again.

There was no 1990-2007 "hope" on my part.:p

Last edited:

Mickiana

Can hope be seen as a type of reverse regret? Maybe. I regret they didn't keep making IJ installments every three to four years. I wasn't hoping for more after we had LC, only because I thought that was all we were lucky enough to get, but when I heard that a fourth was being considered I immediately thought, "Why didn't they do this earlier?!"

Attila the Professor

Staff member
It's an interesting question. As I indicated a few months ago, one of the most attractive thing about the Raven in the pre-KotCS years was speculation about a fourth film. That speculation wasn't really dependent on the likelihood of the film actually happening, at least in part because many of our ideas were rather far from the realm of possibility.

I liked the idea. But I honestly can't recollect whether I really had much hope of it happening.

Toht's Arm

As a couple of others have mentioned, I too didn't really think we'd ever get an Indy 4. Thus I never really dared to hope. It's only since Kingdom that I have been regularly searching the net for the next hint that another film will actually go ahead...

I kind of wish I was hanging around boards like this when Kingdom FINALLY got the green light. Must have been exciting times for all those who'd been feverishly waiting for years...