General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

DocWhiskey

Ford, Lucas, and Spielberg are basically spewing the same spiel about Indy V that they were about Indy 4 throughout the 90's. Sure, there are a few quotes that seem closer than others, but all in all it's pretty much the same. If we don't get any real tangible news by the end of 2010, I think Indy V is dead in the water:dead:

Indy's brother

it boggles the mind that they are starting completely from scratch, that they didn't have anything concrete to follow up KOTCS with already in a planning stage. Or that it could be this hard to come up with ideas and hire a writer. A good writer with an ounce of talent could spend a day or two searching The Raven and have a dozen viable artifacts and plot lines. We need to send an open letter to Lucasfilm or whatever it's called inviting them to use anything here without need for any further permission.

Edit: And yes, I am aware that they currently are in agreement on an artifact for 5.

James

Ajax the Great said:
How would they deal with the family in Indy V? I'm totally in favor of leaving them at home this time.

I think that the inclusion of the entourage in IV added a bit of implausibility.

I'm also in favor of getting a different screenwriter for the fifth one.

I think there's good potential to have Marion along for the ride- provided she doesn't get kidnapped again. I liked Mutt, but feel that he served his purpose (ala Short Round and Henry Sr.).

Either way, I'm not sure having the family back is a foregone conclusion. Lucas has always demonstrated a preference for giving Indy new sidekicks, villains, and story ideas each time out. When asked if Mutt and Marion would return back in 2008- which everyone assumed would be the case- Lucas admitted he hadn't decided.

As for the entourage aspect, once you break it down, KOTCS was no more overpopulated than LC. In fact, it was almost like they took LC's roster and just plugged in new characters. The real difference is the fact that everyone spent a lot more time onscreen together, which is what made it seem so overcrowded.

However, it also made it feel as though Indy was taking part in an expedition, which was kind've an interesting switch. There may have been a conscious attempt to appeal to families in doing so, but it could've also stemmed from applying the B movie formula. Many of those films involved the family unit in some way. (For example, Lucas often cited Earth vs. The Flying Saucers as his main inspiration- a film in which the hero has his wife tagging along for the whole adventure.)

I agree with you about getting a new screenwriter. Much like sidekicks and villains, they should stick to the tradition of bringing in new writers. At the same time, I have a feeling that if they started working out future sequels back in 2006/07, Koepp may again be involved somehow.

JP Jones

James said:
I agree with you about getting a new screenwriter
What is wrong with keeping Koepp? I'm one of those selected few that thought the script was the most well-made aspect of the movie so IMO Koepp must stay.

monkey

Indy's brother said:
it boggles the mind that they are starting completely from scratch, that they didn't have anything concrete to follow up KOTCS with already in a planning stage. Or that it could be this hard to come up with ideas and hire a writer. A good writer with an ounce of talent could spend a day or two searching The Raven and have a dozen viable artifacts and plot lines. We need to send an open letter to Lucasfilm or whatever it's called inviting them to use anything here without need for any further permission.

Edit: And yes, I am aware that they currently are in agreement on an artifact for 5.

Good post Indy's Bro'

Good points. Well taken.

What boggles my mind is that there is anyone who thinks that the current convoluted Indiana Jones saga......stretching into the 1950's.....is any longer viable.

There was no follow on plan for KOTC because they never even intended to make THAT movie.

The Ford/Spielberg/Lucas Indy saga ended with "Last Crusade".

KOTCS was totally driven by $$$ not Art. Everything about it is untenable, and even somewhat ridiculous. Certainly they have burned all bridges.

I've watched KOTC twice. I may never watch it again.

I've probably watched "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" 50 times, and will watch it again.

Anyway.

Indiana Jones needs to return to his roots. There IS NO follow on to KOTCS; nor should there be in my opinion.

If they start from scratch, ...they should really start from SCRATCH.

Harrison Ford should not follow the example of Brett Favre.

Harrison Ford should retire, and release Indiana Jones from the death grip he has on him.

Mickiana

Monkey, you speak with words hard as steel and I mostly agree, except that I think Harrison has one more movie in him as Indiana Jones and maybe Indy5 could be the one he concludes with.

Indy's brother

Just because Indy 4 was uneven to some and detestable to others doesn't mean Ford should be thrown out with the bathwater. As long as he is alive and able, he should continue. I belong to the group that sees him as fit for duty. Ford is my Indy and I want a full second trilogy with him. After that you can have whatever kind of Indy substitute you want, as there will be an infinite amount of time available for it. Heck, there could be new IJ flicks coming out for my grandchildren! But I haven't really enjoyed seeing anyone else play him (River Pheonix was alright for ten minutes). He's alive, isn't out of shape, and wants to do more. Let 'im.

James

JP Jones said:
What is wrong with keeping Koepp? I'm one of those selected few that thought the script was the most well-made aspect of the movie so IMO Koepp must stay.

Oh, I have nothing against Koepp. I'm actually grateful for some of the stuff he pushed for in KOTCS- such as getting rid of Darabont's cutesy references to ROTLA dialogue. I'd just like to see them continue the tradition of getting a fresh writer each time out.

It would probably make more sense to pick one writer or writers and allow them to develop over the course of more than one sequel. But at the same time, this just isn't that kind of franchise. After all, one of the most popular entries was written by the team behind Best Defense and Howard the Duck.

JP Jones

James said:
Oh, I have nothing against Koepp. I'm actually grateful for some of the stuff he pushed for in KOTCS- such as getting rid of Darabont's cutesy references to ROTLA dialogue. I'd just like to see them continue the tradition of getting a fresh writer each time out.

It would probably make more sense to pick one writer or writers and allow them to develop over the course of more than one sequel. But at the same time, this just isn't that kind of franchise. After all, one of the most popular entries was written by the team behind Best Defense and Howard the Duck.
If it ain't broke don't fix it, simple as that. I think Koepp made the best screenplay of all save for Kasdan so just keep him. I don't think it's worth taking a risk of getting some lousy writer who doesn't know how to handle Indy *cough*Darabont*cough*.

Ajax the Great

Darabont's script had weaknesses where Koepp's had strengths, and Koepp's had weaknesses where Darabont's had strengths.

The problem was that there was too much nostalgia driving each script, and I think that it fundamentally changed the spirit of the film. If they had done Indy IV in '93, before audiences had lots of time to reminisce, they wouldn't have brought back Marion or included his son. It wouldn't have been as much of a family picture, just an action/adventure chapter. Including his family probably seemed like a natural thing to do given Indy's age.

I thought Koepp's script was lacking, and I thought Darabont's was a bit excessive. The part in City of Gods where Indy mimics the fertility idol scene in the library - I wanted to vomit. And the inclusion of his father was forced. Just because we all loved Indy's dad, and we loved the shtick between them doesn't mean that he should be included for the hell of it, to tell us that he's still alive. He should serve the action in some way. If it were a Tarantino film, I'd forgive the excess, but it's an Indy film, and they're supposed to be slick and efficient. The ultimate Indy IV script could have come out of a collaboration between Koepp and Darabont - they could have hit the middle ground. In a fourth installment that takes place so far after the OT, you need to address nostalgia, but you can't let it be the foundation for plot elements.

I also hope that if they did decide to make two more they would make them independent films. An Indy 5 that goes into Indy 6 contradicts one of the features of the franchise. It's supposed to be like a serial. A succinct section of Indy's adventures, not a saga of connected stories. That's part of all the fun - the same central character, but new supporting characters, new locations, new plots, all in the same familiar formula.

monkey

Indy's brother said:
Just because Indy 4 was uneven to some and detestable to others doesn't mean Ford should be thrown out with the bathwater. As long as he is alive and able, he should continue. I belong to the group that sees him as fit for duty. Ford is my Indy and I want a full second trilogy with him. After that you can have whatever kind of Indy substitute you want, as there will be an infinite amount of time available for it. Heck, there could be new IJ flicks coming out for my grandchildren! But I haven't really enjoyed seeing anyone else play him (River Pheonix was alright for ten minutes). He's alive, isn't out of shape, and wants to do more. Let 'im.

I understand and appreciate your opinion here Indy's Bro'.

I don't agree, but I understand it. And further, I think yours is probably the majority opinion among IJ fans. I just can't agree.

I am probably wrong, since so many people feel otherwise, but I truly think that letting Ford go is an important step in the continuation of Indiana Jones.

I'm thinking hard here, but I can't come up with any other fictional character ever who was so bound and tied to an actual living actor whose human frailties and age restrictions so limited the character. This "Ford IS Indiana Jones" dogma truly is unique.

Maybe I am wrong in thinking that the character has so much more potential. ...............Maybe he doesn't, and maybe Ford really IS .........Indiana Jones, and there's nothing more.

But then I just saw where they are releasing a new Sherlock Holmes movie.

How can they do that??? Basil Rathbone is dead!

What intrigues me most is that most of the Indiana Jones fans here are young enough to outlive Harrison Ford by many decades. And yet, they tie their favorite fictional character so strongly to this human actor.

Interesting.

Long live Indiana Jones!

Long live Harrison Ford too...........I love the guy!! .....but dude,.. let go.

Last edited:

Ajax the Great

I think Indy's a unique case in that regard - he'll always be attached to Ford even though others have played him. You mentioned Sherlock Holmes, and I think the reason they're able to do that is because Holmes was a character long before anybody played him on film. So people had read about the character and already decided they loved him.

But Indy didn't have that background - he started with Harrison. He really breathes life and humanity into that role. If you've seen any of Harrison's stuff in the past ten years, its like he's been sleepwalking through movies. Then Indy came and he came alive again. Out of all the criticism I've heard about CS, I've never heard anybody say that Harrison's performance was bad. He was the best part of that movie, and he saved it from getting really bad, IMO.

I'd say give him one more. Then lay the franchise to rest. The rest is painful for me to say: If, in a few years, there's an audience for it, get some new actors and a new director and make some more. I'd be very weary of going to see that movie. I guess I'm more in love with the trio's realization of Indy than in the character itself.

Montana Smith

monkey said:
I am probably wrong, since so many people feel otherwise, but I truly think that letting Ford go is an important step in the continuation of Indiana Jones.

If Indiana Jones is to continue as a live-action series of films, then it would be the only step to take.

monkey said:
I'm thinking hard here, but I can't come up with any other fictional character ever who was so bound and tied to an actual living actor whose human frailties and age restrictions so limited the character. This "Ford IS Indiana Jones" dogma truly is unique.

I think it is pretty unique for the same actor to remain involved with a movie character for what will be over 30 years. And that's what makes Indy special. It's never been a simple case of get a new actor and chuck out another movie just to see the money roll in.

monkey said:
Maybe I am wrong in thinking that the character has so much more potential. ...............Maybe he doesn't, and maybe Ford really IS .........Indiana Jones, and there's nothing more.

As soon as Harrison is no longer Indy, I don't think it will have the same appeal to me. Another actor will always be in his shadow, and the films will take on the Bond mentality, and lose their special quality.

monkey said:
But then I just saw where they are releasing a new Sherlock Holmes movie.

How can they do that??? Basil Rathbone is dead!

But then Sherlock was first and foremost a character designed for print, not film. The adult Indy appeared in the likeness of Harrison Ford, and that's how I associate the character.

monkey said:
What intrigues me most is that most of the Indiana Jones fans here are young enough to outlive Harrison Ford by many decades. And yet, they tie their favorite fictional character so strongly to this human actor.

Interesting.

Long live Indiana Jones!

Long live Harrison Ford too...........I love the guy!! .....but dude,.. let go.

After The Last Crusade almost 20 years went by without an Indy movie, yet the fans remained fans. Even with the disappointment that a lot of fans felt with the release of KOTCS they are still fans. I think that a reboot with a new actor might satisfy a new generation of fans, but for those that grew up with the original movies there will be a nostalgia factor that just won't be part of any reboot.

Then again, I'm also willing to be proved wrong!

indyrcks

maybe they feel that Indy 4 was a ending to the franchise Ford's Indy has gotten older and has a wife and son so what more can they do reboot it or continue on.

Montana Smith

indyrcks said:
maybe they feel that Indy 4 was a ending to the franchise Ford's Indy has gotten older and has a wife and son so what more can they do reboot it or continue on.

Indy taking his fedora back from Mutt at the end was the teaser that implied that KOTCS wasn't quite the end for Indy's adventuring. I see Indy going out like John Wayne, not as mobile as he used to be, but still tough as nails and steely-eyed!

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
I think it is pretty unique for the same actor to remain involved with a movie character for what will be over 30 years. And that's what makes Indy special. It's never been a simple case of get a new actor and chuck out another movie just to see the money roll in.

I'm pretty much on the fence with this, but I would throw in the William Shatner/Captain Kirk example. Shats has pretty much lived and breathed that character for over 40 years... but one could argue that JJ's new Star Trek movie is the best (or at least one of the best) Star Trek movies to date... Goes to show that anyone is replaceable/any character can be re-invented for a new generation.

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
I'm pretty much on the fence with this, but I would throw in the William Shatner/Captain Kirk example. Shats has pretty much lived and breathed that character for over 40 years... but one could argue that JJ's new Star Trek movie is the best (or at least one of the best) Star Trek movies to date... Goes to show that anyone is replaceable/any character can be re-invented for a new generation.

That's a very good example, Darth. I've never really invested much time or thought into Star Trek, so the idea of who plays the Kirk character has never come to mind before.

I have thought about Star Wars rebooting, though. Back in the days of the re-issued Eagle comic (early 1980s) there was a report that Lucas intended to make a total of nine Star Wars films: 3 prequels and three sequels. At that moment I was wondering whether the lead actors would still be young enough to make the sequels, and whether I could accept different actors.