References to other films/TV shows in YI.

Stoo

Borrowed Footage - Young Indy

The large production values of the TV series was helped somewhat
by the tasteful use of previously-shot footage from other movies.
Offhand, I can think of 2 episodes where shots from other films
were used.

"Curse of the Jackal / Spring Break Adventure / Mexico - March 1916"
Train attack on Ciudad Guerrero used footage from "Old Gringo"
very liberally. (In fact, the entire sequence - right down to
Indy switching the track lever - is taken from the 1989 film.)

"Verdun - September 1916"
Various shots from the 1979 made-for-TV version of
"All Quiet on the Western Front" were used. The one that
stands out in my mind is that of rats scurrying over a dead
soldier in the mud.

These episodes were some of the first to be produced so
maybe the use of "stock" footage was eventually discontinued?
Does anyone recognize any other "borrowed" footage?

Junior Jones

There were a few other places in the series with scenes that I remember thinking looked a little different, like they had been filmed at a different time with different equipment. I can't think of any specific ones right now, though.

Stoo

Oh yes, I just remembered another one. "Daredevils of the Desert" uses
plenty of shots (and the same director) from 1987's "The Lighthorsemen".

Stoo

Some more examples have popped to mind.

"Somme - August 1916 / Trenches of Hell"
Colourized archival footage of gigantic, *Long Max* artillery piece.

"Peking - March 1910"
Colourized stock footage of Chinese junks sailing in harbour.

Matinee Idyll

Bit of an odd question, but hear me out - aswell as introducing its audience to aspects of their social history, it also had many clear references to film and television aswell.

"Oganga, Giver and Taker of Life" - quite strongly references the film 'Schweitzer' in its portrayal of the man, using the piece 'Jesu, Joy of Mans Desiring' just like in the film too.

"Loves Sweet Song" - Vickys speech at the end ("I want to be a writer, etc") is taken in large part from the Miles Franklin novel/Gillian Armstrong film "My Brilliant Career".

"Adventures in the Secret Service" - much of the Austria sequence, particularly the chase down the alleyways (and the shadows cast onto walls) is a little homage to the brilliant film "The Third Man".

"Daredevils of the Desert" uses footage from and is inspired by 'The Lighthorsemen'.

You pick out any?

NileQT87

"curse of the jackal" has audio lifted right out of "raiders of the lost ark" (the arab diggers' song).

Stoo

Matinee Idyll said:
"Daredevils of the Desert" uses footage from and is inspired by 'The Lighthorsemen'.
Same director, too!

"Curse of the Jackal / Spring Break Adventure"
Train attack on Ciudad Guerrero used footage from "Old Gringo"
very liberally. (In fact, the entire sequence - right down to
Indy switching the track lever - is taken from the 1989 film.)

soldier in the mud.

Matinee Idyll

Much of the train footage in 'Austria, 1917' was from the greatest TV series of all time - Dennis Potters brilliant, haunting 'The Singing Detective'.

Perhaps it was just from the BBC archives or something, but the footage is identical.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I would say "Daredevils" also draws inspiration from "Gallipoli". As for the Vicky possible reference to "My Brilliant Career", I can see that but it contradicts later in the series, when Vicky features in the new bookend for "Travels with Father". Which in a way, is quite tragic.

oki9Sedo

I'm not familiar with the show, but no doubt there are references to The Searchers. George Lucas referenced it in twice of his Star Wars films.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Jeremiah Jones said:
How is vicky in the new bookends for travels with father?

Actually, I confused Vicky for Nancy. But she does appear in the original bookend for the "Love's Sweet Song" (can't remember the original episode title). This is what happens with sleep deprivation and boredom over the summer holidays.

Yes, there is a reference to "The Searchers". In "Hollywood Follies", he does a stunt for a movie that copies "The Searchers." That and John Ford is in that episode and directs the movie Indy's in.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Violet Indy said:
Yes, there is a reference to "The Searchers". In "Hollywood Follies", he does a stunt for a movie that copies "The Searchers." That and John Ford is in that episode and directs the movie Indy's in.

Does he? He definitely does the stunt from Stagecoach in which he goes under the horses and the coach (which made its way into Raiders as an homage to the stuntman, Yakima Canutt), but I don't know what else there might have been.

It's really a crime that I haven't seen that one in so long - as far as fans of Indiana Jones and John Ford go, I'm probably one of a handful for whom the two are central to my film experience. The way the Young Indy series ended though, with Indy performing a version of a stunt for John Ford that he'd later have copied by Harrison Ford for the first of the adult Indy series...that's classy.

Oh, and incidentally, the reason George Hall wore an eyepatch in his performance as old Indy?
fordwayne.jpg

There's Pappy Ford himself, on the set of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, with Jimmy Stewart and Duke Wayne.

IndyJr.

One short clip from Verdun, 1916 when Indy fell off his bike after being attacked by the plane is reused in Phantom Train of Doom after the canon is finally blown up. One of the German's on the bike falls towards the camera and then it shows the Verdun clip.

Stoo

New Footage Exposed

Just noticed that "Daredevils of the Desert" also uses footage from "Lion of the Desert"!

All the shots with the trucks & armoured cars in the assualt on Gaza at the
beginning are from "Lion of the Desert". (Not the ones with the Churchill tanks.)
There is a long shot of the advancing Australians with vehicles and tanks.
Tanks that didn't exist in 1917. You can also see Italian soldiers with black
feather plumes on their helmets (the Australians wore white) crouching
behind a moving tank. Plus, the shots of the vehicles exploding...

Glenn Randall, stunt co-ordinator for "Raiders", was 2nd unit director on "Lion"
and he did stunt work, too. (He talks about it in "Great Movie Stunts: Raiders
of the Lost Ark".) It came out in '81, like ROTLA, but had been sitting on the
shelf for a few years. It was banned in Italy because of the way the army
was portrayed (which is not nice). BIG, big looooooong film with great actors,
Oliver Reed, Anthony Quinn and Rod Steiger as Mussolini. It's worth checking
out if you're into that sort of thing.

The footage blends in very well but shows how (sometimes) the expensive
look of the show was built on the backbones of others. "Old Gringo" is a
great example. Watch it and you'll never look at "Curse of the Jackal" the
same way again. (I should do you a YouTube comparison and you'll see...)

Stoo

More Borrowed Footage Exposed

Recently noticed that the linking segment in "Journey of Radiance" has a long shot of the city borrowed from "55 Days at Peking"!
This film is worth watching! It's about the Boxer Rebellion where an international force (British, American, German, French, Italian, Russian)
were under siege in June 1900. As usual, Chuck Heston rocks and there are plenty of big, battle scenes. Best seen in widescreen!

55-days-at-peking.jpg

There are other borrowed shots in the "Peking" chapter but they appear to be portions of archival footage, colourized by Lucasfilm.

P.S. If any mods are reading this, it would be nice if this thread could be merged with the following (or vice-versa):
Borrowed Footage - Young Indy

Joosse

I believe that the 'borrowing' of scenes and references is typical of the post-modern era in wich the Young Indiana Jones stories were made.

It was their way of paying tribute to those movies, much the same way that Indiana Jones pays tribute to the adventure serials of the 1930's, and Star Wars pays tribute to Flash Gordon.

Stoo

More Borrowed Footage Exposed

*BUMP*

Just as I thought, "Attack of the Hawkmen" uses footage from the great WW1 flick, "Aces High". Sometimes the shots are direct lifts and other times they have been embellished with added elements or effects. (For some time, I thought some clips might have come from "The Blue Max" but apparently not.)

aces%20high%20320x240.jpg

All the shots of the German anti-aircraft guns, some close-ups of the planes taking damage from enemy fire and ALL the aerial views of the terrain below during the 1st photo-reconnaisance flight are borrowed. (In one aerial terrain shot, 2 planes were added alongside Harry & Indy's Sopwith Camel.) In a handful of shots with flying/crashing planes you can clearly see the British RAF roundel insignia instead of the French one!

180px-RAF_roundel_svg.png
instead of this
180px-French-roundel.svg.png

There are also many parallels with the 2 stories such as, Indy's initial arrival at the airfield, the photo-reconaissance missions, Richtofen's insistance to the army that the prisoner is his, etc. Not to mention the tagline on this poster is similar to Indy's experience. "High above the trenches 14 days is a long life..." (Plus the star, a young Peter Firth, plays Indy's ally Stefan, in "Istanbul/Masks of Evil"!)

"Aces High" is an excellent film and is really worth checking out. Another fine companion piece to the Yound Indy tales. I saw it on TV one night many, many years ago but it's now available on DVD.(y)

P.S. Both movies use the song, "The Bold Aviator Lay Dying"!

Last edited:

Stoo

More Trickery/Robbery!

Stoo said:
soldier in the mud.
Recently watched "All Quiet" again and noticed that even more shots were lifted for the TV show!:eek: In "Germany, Mid-August 1916/Trenches of Hell", the part when Indy & Emile are getting carted off as prisoners and the village gets bombarded by artillery uses a considerable amount of footage from "All Quiet" (the BIG action with explosions, etc.) In one case, the shot seems even longer than the original (the smoldering truck).

As for the stuff with the rats in "Verdun", there are actually 2 of those. There are also a few moments from the battle in that episode which were taken from the '79 tele-film.

It's no wonder the series had such a big-budget look to it! On top of the high production values, dedicated cast/crew and ground-breaking digital compositing, they really "raided" a healthy dose of other movies as well. ("Palestine/Daredevils" is excused, though, since Simon Wincer took from his own film.;)) Now, I have suspicions about other scenes like the motorcycle-biplane chase in "Verdun"...