Music question in Oganga!

Lord Excalibur

What is the name of that Bach song Albert Schwietzer plays when Indy and Albert's wife is listening. The song is also playing in the background in the TV-movie much also?

BTW

What happened to the thread I created about the Nails that pierced up Jesus on the cross. Was it deleted?

Balou

wuush a zombie thread, but what does it matter.. ;)

after buying a CD called "Goldberg Variationen" and searching for the track I think its time for looking for the truth ;)

one view into the booklet of the soundtrack volume II shows the right answer:

The opus Albert Schweitzer plays is called "jesu joy of man´s desiring" (in german: Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben" bzw. "Jesu bleibet meine Freunde") and is pretty known (at least amazon knows and they do also

Jay R. Zay

freude, schöner götterfunken, tochter aus elysium, wir betreten feuertrunken, himmlische, dein heiligtum! deine zauber binden wieder, was die mode streng geteilt. alle menschen werden brüder, wo dein sanfter flügel weilt!

IAdventurer01

Jay R. Zay said:
freude, schöner götterfunken, tochter aus elysium, wir betreten feuertrunken, himmlische, dein heiligtum! deine zauber binden wieder, was die mode streng geteilt. alle menschen werden brüder, wo dein sanfter flügel weilt!
... wait ... isn't that Ode to Joy? :confused:

Balou

Jay R. Zay said:

ehm, yeah exactly. ;)
whatever you mean, I affirm you, freude schöner götterfunken is also a great hymn. I can´t imagine a better melody for europe :)

macwizard

I have the cd, and it is "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desire" by Bach. It's on Young Indiana Jones Volume 2, Track Number 11 entitled " Albert Schweitzer, Prisoner of War". It starts playing at 1:38.

vf wing

This piece can't get enough kudos. I really loved the philosophical outlook this episode posed as its dramatic centerpiece. But the crown jewel is the music. I recognize it instantly as I sometimes hear it when I'm out shopping. I'm going to break down and purchase the soundtracks for this show at some point!

Dr.Jonesy

Indiana Jones Song Help! :O

Hello Fellow Raveners,

I've recently re-watched the Young Indiana Jones series, and fell in love with a piece of music playing in the background. Unfortunately...I have no idea who the composer is or the possible title. It's an absolutely splendid song.

The song plays in this scene;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Er7r39HujU

And also if anyone happens to know the song playing in the same episode when it's showing Indy observing Schweitzer taking care of patients, and then it cuts to him playing it on piano.

Any help would be much appreciated! And Mods, I put this here since the Young Indy forum gets little traffic; decreasing the chances for an answer severely.

Thanks again, guys!
:hat:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Apart from moving this thread to the proper forum, here's what I have to offer:

My first instinct is that the piece in the video you linked to is almost certainly Bach, as Schweitzer was an expert on the composer. However, upon a quick search, this suggests that it is an original Joel McNeely piece in the style of Bach, named, unsurprisingly, "Reverence for Life." You'll see that it is the proper length to match the clip, according to the chart.

The one that appears later in the film is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. A lovely piece; I became very fond of it after seeing it in the episode as well.

Dr.Jonesy

Attila the Professor said:
Apart from moving this thread to the proper forum, here's what I have to offer:

My first instinct is that the piece in the video you linked to is almost certainly Bach, as Schweitzer was an expert on the composer. However, upon a quick search, this suggests that it is an original Joel McNeely piece in the style of Bach, named, unsurprisingly, "Reverence for Life." You'll see that it is the proper length to match the clip, according to the chart.

The one that appears later in the film is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. A lovely piece; I became very fond of it after seeing it in the episode as well.

Thanks for the help, Attilla.
:hat:

I was able to check out the McNeely thing just now, and I don't think it's an original composing of his, as I heard it on a classical radio station days ago and the piece was quite long and the clip only covers a fraction of the song So I'm looking into Bach, for now. Hopefully I'll find it!
(y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Dr.Jonesy said:
I was able to check out the McNeely thing just now, and I don't think it's an original composing of his, as I heard it on a classical radio station days ago and the piece was quite long and the clip only covers a fraction of the song So I'm looking into Bach, for now. Hopefully I'll find it!
(y)

So I followed up by checking out the clip in context within the film, and the time at which it appears <I>is</I> the time at which the chart says that the McNeely piece "Reverence for Life" is played. The work done by the group tracking down the Young Indiana Jones music is very good and very thorough, but it's possibly that there is an error here, I suppose; I'll leave it to one of them to fill in whether the naming of the piece as that is based purely on the scene, being a sort of internal attribution for clarity's sake, or whether McNeely actually titled it that himself.

Any of you fellow around? Or Bach experts who can say whether this is a Bach piece, or an original piece of music strongly inspired by old J.S.?

InexorableTash

Even if the YIJM site says "NcNeely" it may be an arrangement by McNeely of a Bach piece. We haven't nailed down every track to that level of detail, yet.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
InexorableTash said:
Even if the YIJM site says "NcNeely" it may be an arrangement by McNeely of a Bach piece.

That was sort of my suspicion. There's a couple seconds of it that feel rather soundtracky, despite seeming Bach-like in general.