Star Wars: The Clone Wars

sandiegojones

DarthMickey said:
Dear Lucas , please stop trying to sell this Prequel crap.It sucks and were all really really tired of it. Now for kids it's okay. :hat:
I think that's why he does it, for kids. His son was about 6 or 7 when TPM was being made. I think since he went through the divorce and adopted kids his perspective for films has changed. He makes stuff for him and his kids, not for general audiences since he's knows it'll make money either way. He tries to say that he always made them for kids but I think thats just a matter of telling yourself a lie enough to the point that you think it's true.

Still, I like the PT for the most part and this Clone Wars looks cool even if it lacks the gravity of the films.

I am hoping that the live action TV series is cool since it's after Ep. III and doesn't relate to Jedi stuff. The mercenaries like Han Solo are what made the OT so good because he was the character most like us. Lets hope that a show about mercenaries and bounty hunters will be like the OT. The Jedi mumbo jumbo in the PT is what made them so convoluted and made the acting seem so flat. Ewan was the only one to pull it off. Even jake Lloyd ws okay but when he had to talk about the force and Jedi stuff he was lost. GL tried to make the Jedi and politicians more serious to somehow make the PT seem more grand like a Roman epic, but it just made people want Han Solo all the more.

Last edited:

Forbidden Eye

deckard24 said:
I agree, but did you forget about Droids, The Star Wars Holdiay Special , and The Ewok Adventure ?

Well played! ;)

I honestly liked the first two prequels. Sure I recognize their short-comings and will probably agree the originals are substantially better, but I still really admire both, and in a way have more affection to both than the originals having seen them at the theaters.(I missed the rereleases, but thankfully I get to see all three in 3D in the not to distance future) Episode III just rocked from start to finish.

As far as Clone Wars goes, well, the animation has yet to grow on me. The graphics are no better than an adequate video-game. But I'll probably give in to see it, after all it's, like, Star Wars!

No Ticket

sandiegojones said:
Has anyone ever read this interview with Gary Kurtz? He produced American Graffiti, Star Wars and Empire with GL and talks about how GL changed after Raiders, what happened with Return of the Jedi and whey SW lost it's luster. he thinks Indiana Jones ruined SW! It's long but very intersting:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/376/376873p1.html

Yes, in particular:

IGNFF: I like to say, "The greatest detriment to art is success"...

KURTZ: Yep, exactly.

IGNFF: Well, I know that when talking about the directors and the auteur theory and directors throwing off their shackles in the '70s and what it eventually led to... by the way, a group of friends of mine, we have something that we, ironically enough, call the Kurtz Theory ? which directly relates to Lucas. Essentially, it's that when you lose all checks and balances ? someone who has the ability to say no to you or to convince you that this might not be the right direction ? you get films like Episode I.

KURTZ: Yeah. Well, I think that's true. In the case of Episode I, there's probably something else going on as well, which is it was a merchandise-driven project ... they knew that the money from the merchandising would make a lot more money than the money from the film. It's a tired film, in the sense that there's no passion or energy there, and that comes from that kind of slightly cynical attitude, I think. There's a lot that could have been. In Episode I, there's a tremendous amount of story potential that was wasted.

If, on balance, you're looking on it on the basis of "Well, it's going to make a lot of money no matter how terrible it is," then you're going to go in not with the right kind of energy to make it right. That's not limited to Episode I ? there are lots of films that are made that way. I think you have to approach every project with a kind of wonder.

I didn't know Alfred Hitchcock very well ... he was working at Universal when I was there, and I met him several times in Lew Wasserman's office and a couple of times around the lot, and I watched him work on Family Plot a bit. He was a fairly intimidating guy and he was ill as well, at that time. So, he wasn't his old self, I suppose. Anyway, he did say one day that when someone asked him what was his favorite film of all of his projects, he said, "The next one."

I think that's a wonderful comment, because that shows that he was excited about the idea of planning something new. I think all filmmakers should feel that way, because that energy then is transported into the project. If you're tired before you start, if you're only doing it for the money, if you don't like the script ? then you're going to go out everyday and show up, but you're not going to transfer any of your personal energy into that project.

IGNFF: From your personal experience, how would you compare the George you worked with on American Graffiti to the George you worked with towards the end of The Empire Strikes Back?

KURTZ: It was quite different, actually. He was very different. I think the most unfortunate thing that happened was the fact that Indiana Jones came along, and Raiders of the Lost Ark had come out in between. George and I had many, many discussions about that, but it boiled down to the fact that he became convinced that all the audience was interested in was the roller-coaster ride, and so the story and the script didn't matter anymore.

Now Raiders is not a bad film, but the script actually was much better than the finished film. There were a lot more nuances in the character, and there was less action. It would've been a better picture if that script had been made. But, as it is, it's an interesting and entertaining film ? it's just that this idea that somehow the energy doesn't have to be put into getting really good story elements together. One of the arguments that I had with George about Empire was the fact that he felt in the end, he said, we could have made just as much money if the film hadn't been quite so good, and you hadn't spent so much time. And I said, "But it was worth it!"

IGNFF: And so it's the argument between doing the best you can, and good enough?

KURTZ: Yes, and I know that there's an extreme that you can go to. I also knew Stanley Kubrick quite well, and I know that he's probably the epitome of the perfection-oriented. In fact, I think he actually was clinically obsessive-compulsive, probably, in the end. He would go to unbelievable lengths to have it be exactly the way he wanted it, and he didn't have any money problems ? Warner Brothers was writing the checks and they didn't care what he did. But it still didn't matter, beyond a certain point. In my personal opinion, after Clockwork Orange, his efforts went downhill, basically. Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut all are less than interesting films, as far as I'm concerned.

... It seems George has the mentality that audiences do not care about how good the movie is. He geared TPM (and no doubt KOTCS) towards merchandising more than making a good film because he felt it didn't matter since he'd make just as much money anyway.

That's a pitiful, disgusting way to look at the art of film. Which makes me think all these years people wrote his name George Luca$, they were right. Which sickens me. I hope he really doesn't think that way. That's awful.

No Ticket

indyclone25 said:
still i think clone wars will rock

This is exactly what Lucas is counting on you to assume. I'm not saying it won't. But if it sux then that just goes to show you.... he is right. You can release it however you want and it will still make tons of money.

I thought the original 2D series was great. But it was handled by that Gennedy Tartakovsky (spelling?) fellow of Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack fame. And he knows a lot about story telling through animation. I don't think he is in charge of this one, Lucas just took his art-style and used it in 3D.

I'll probably go see it. Just because I've got nothing better to do and it might be good.

CasualJeff

I'll listen to Kurz as soon as he makes a good movie without leeching off of Lucas.

Come on...dissing on Raiders of the Lost Ark? Are you effing kidding me?

DarthMickey

actually what Kurtz really says that makes the most sense is that Lucas has nobody to tell him NO.With that said he does what he wants all the time now without any input from others.You can see the results ...Crap..Crap..and More Crap. Gary Kurtz was important on the Star Wars Movies 1 and 2 and American Graffiti.All 3 are classics. Lucas had many people helping him on the classics.He did not paint those pictures alone. :hat:

CasualJeff

Hawkeye said:
I know, less action is better? What planet is this guy from?

Sarcasm? Are you telling me that Raiders would have been better with more character drama and less action?

I don't know about anybody else, but I think the movie is just about perfect.

I'll agree that Lucas has never matched the greatness of Star Wars/Empire/Raiders. Three perfect movies, back to back to back. Still, I'm positive that the slide in quality has nothing to do with the absence of Kurz. He's nobody.

DarthMickey

I'll agree that Lucas has never matched the greatness of Star Wars/Empire/Raiders. Three perfect movies, back to back to back. Still, I'm positive that the slide in quality has nothing to do with the absence of Kurz. He's nobody.

That's a funny statement.I'd advise you to go back to school and learn a little bit more.Let me inform you of something. Lucas didnt write the music for these films.Lucas didn't design any of the space ships for the classic Star Wars, Lucas didn't even design the look of the Stormtroopers,Darth Vader, Yoda, AT-At's and much much more..Lucas didn't edit the Movie's as well. He had plenty of Help.Once he took control of everything the movies made millions but lost everything else.You need an education on these films.Kurtz, Kirshner and many others were involved in this process.Thank god for that, otherwise we may have gotten the Phantom menace 30 years ago! :dead:

The Man

DarthMickey said:

That's a funny statement.I'd advise you to go back to school and learn a little bit more.Let me inform you of something. Lucas didnt write the music for these films.Lucas didn't design any of the space ships for the classic Star Wars, Lucas didn't even design the look of the Stormtroopers,Darth Vader, Yoda, AT-At's and much much more..Lucas didn't edit the Movie's as well. He had plenty of Help.Once he took control of everything the movies made millions but lost everything else.You need an education on these films.Kurtz, Kirshner and many others were involved in this process.Thank god for that, otherwise we may have gotten the Phantom menace 30 years ago! :dead:

Is it fair to suggest that Lucas got lucky with A New Hope?

DarthMickey

oh hell no this film was great. But he had many many people helping.I'd advise anyone to look at the 10+ minutes of credits.

It really as simple as this. The Beatles were the best group ever.With that said they had a classical trained producer making there records into masterpieces.The Beatles really were lucky to have george Martin.If they didn't have him who knows what would have happened.He deserves allot of credit.People who know music know this.

George Lucas had many great idea's but it's better when you bounce them around with others and see what else you can come up with and consider options.When Kurtz was there that's exactly what they did.Also when the Classic Star Wars was made, people could still tell Lucas" No we won't be doing that". Example Jabba was removed from the 1977 film. Lucas put it back later, but who cares.You really didn't need it. :sick:

Peacock's-Eye

DarthMickey said:
actually what Kurtz really says that makes the most sense is that Lucas has nobody to tell him NO.With that said he does what he wants all the time now without any input from others.You can see the results ...Crap..Crap..and More Crap. Gary Kurtz was important on the Star Wars Movies 1 and 2 and American Graffiti.All 3 are classics. Lucas had many people helping him on the classics.He did not paint those pictures alone. :hat:
Gee, do you work at Lucasfilm? How do you know what goes on there?
From what I can tell, he's got plenty of "No Men" around him.
He just doesn't change his mind once it's made...maybe the "No Men" have to work harder & be less lazy...?

Peacock's-Eye

The Man said:
Is it fair to suggest that Lucas got lucky with A New Hope?
Nope.
He's done lots of other brilliant stuff.
Maybe the problem's with people who just want ANH over & over & over again...

>>Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut all are less than interesting films, as far as I'm concerned.<<
Wow - many of my all time favorite Kubricks in there. I'll take any of those over his tepid "Lolita".

Last edited:

No Ticket

Peacock's-Eye said:
Gee, do you work at Lucasfilm? How do you know what goes on there?
From what I can tell, he's got plenty of "No Men" around him.
He just doesn't change his mind once it's made...maybe the "No Men" have to work harder & be less lazy...?

Lucas said it himself when referring to KOTCS that now that Spielberg is so successful it's hard to basically "control" him. So I'd say it's safe to assume that now George, being as powerful (monetarily) as he is, can do whatever he wants and cannot be swayed by others opinions. He wants Jar-Jar f'n binks to step in poo in that shot so f'n be it!!!

And you'd have to be completely CLUELESS about films to truly believe that the success of Star Wars, etc. was all Lucas all by himself. For a movie to be truly great everyone involved has to do their part. It's one of those "accidents" that just happens. The script turns out well, the costumes/sets/etc. are designed amazingly, the shooting goes as planned and eventually the music is written and it elevates everything else to a new level. The music alone transports me into that galaxy far, far away.

But this is not to say a lot of the ideas were not Lucas'. But you've seen the prequels and you've seen the originals. He only directed the original Star Wars, and he was much younger and less successful back then... so I attribute that to another reason why he made that movie much better.

I read in an interview that ESB's director, Kershner, explained that he thought success was the biggest detrimental to art. Lucas started thinking the audience didn't care how good the script was as long as the movie was loud with action sequences, etc. In other words... he said Lucas got into the mentality of "It's good ENOUGH."

Kershner said that Lucas felt this way after he went overbudget a little on ESB and said that the film would probably have done just as well if he hadn't spent the extra time crafting it to perfection. But Kershner said, "But wasn't it worth it?" ... I mean, as someone who is in charge of ART... shouldn't Lucas want to perfect them and not just make them good enough?

Kershner said that George often wanted to do things differently on ESB but that he was the director and he wouldn't budge on what he wanted to do much of the time. He didn't give in and give George his way. So he thinks that's why George wanted to hire someone he could "control" better for Return of the Jedi, because Kershner wanted to direct it with Han Solo dying and Luke being left alone with Princess Leia becoming the queen of what is left of her people... and Lucas didn't like that idea. (we've heard before Ford wanted Solo to die too) He also said in his original vision there were no Ewoks. That was all stuff Lucas added in later.

Kershner also admitted that Lucas writes his characters cold and that OTHER PEOPLE came in and touched up the scripts to add humor, etc. to them to make them more interesting.

So to really believe Lucas is the all-knowing person behind great films is ridiculous. He is a guy who had a few good ideas that, with the help of MANY talented people, he turned into great movies. Everyone has to be working towards that goal. But if your boss (director) doesn't care to strive for something truly great and assumes the audience is dumb and just will spend their $$$ on whatever you release.... then how can you blame a movie for turning out the way it did? (The prequels as a prime example)

Only through the bickering of fans do I think Lucas eventually turned for more help on Episode III. He may have started to realize that fans do care... but I think he has a big ego and he doesn't like to get help.

The Man

Soundtrack details...

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2008/08/02/star_wars_the_clone_wars_soundtrack_set_

'...The theatrical release of Star Wars: The Clone Wars - the first-ever animated feature from Lucasfilm Animation and the newest chapter in the ongoing Star Wars Saga - will be accompanied by a deluxe 67-minute soundtrack album package (with exclusive fold-out poster) that will be available at all physical and digital outlets starting August 12th through Sony Classical.'