Relationship of characters: Son, Wife,...

Indie House

Sankara said:
In "Last Crusade" Indy brings his father...

Now, Indy is older and brings his son... :)

This is sooo..... LAME!!!!

All opinions are valid but you could try injecting some scholarship into your convictions.

:hat:

Niteshade007

I have to agree with Sankara. I mean, I don't really care one or the other about Shia playing Indy's son, I am just a little disappointed in their lack of imagination. Surely they could have thought of something else. But, if that's the route they want to go, that is fine by me. It's not going to stop me from seeing the movie.

JimmyPSHayes

At first I was dead-set against it, but now I've warmed up to the idea and actually think it's exciting. I don't mind Shia at all. To me he's the most tolerable of the "young hollywood' crowd.

Alexandria

I think Indy having a kid makes HUGE sense. I mean how many women has he been with? This was before all the well...precautions were commonplace. Shia, I don't mind him at all. As long as he does a good job, and doesn't look overwhelmed by the whole undertaking. He's a good actor. :) Steven and George are not morons, they do this sort of thing for a living. They may know more than we know about what works, and what doesn't. Thier paychecks kind of depend on it. Sure, they have a lot of money, but you'd be surprised how fast it can go.

Papa Jones

Sankara said:
In "Last Crusade" Indy brings his father...

Now, Indy is older and brings his son... :)

This is sooo..... LAME!!!!

Maybe they're trying to symbolize the passing of the torch from a generation to another newer generation.

Sankara

@Alexandria
I don't think that it makes Sense that Indy having Kids. We are talking about "Indiana Jones"!!! These are Action-Adventure-movies and no Family-Soap.

For one time it was a great Idea to bring a Familymemer into the story - To repeat this with a son is very-very lame.

Papa Jones

Sankara said:
@Alexandria
I don't think that it makes Sense that Indy having Kids. We are talking about "Indiana Jones"!!! These are Action-Adventure-movies and no Family-Soap.

For one time it was a great Idea to bring a Familymemer into the story - To repeat this with a son is very-very lame.

Yeah, in Indy 6 (if it happens...) we'll probably have Indiana's dog... :sick:

About the family relationship thing... you're right, they already did it, but didn't exploit all the possibilities of it, like the death of a member... maybe we'll see on of the Jones' die...

(I swear it, 'berg and Lucas, don't you dare to kill Indiana at the end of the movie! :mad: )

Indie House

I appreciate your point...

I guess I can see why some are leaning away from the whole son thing... but I loved Last Crusade. Not only was it a top film worthy of the Indiana Jones label, it brought what I believe to be one of the best on screen chemistries of all time. We never would have seen that if the filmmakers hadn't dared to reshape the mould.

I guess I'm trying to keep an open mind... sometimes it really pays off...

:hat:

joelwatts

I think it would be much more interesting, and give more depth to the characters, if Shia was Marion's son, but not Indy's, and Indy and Marion wed.

And say Shia's dad is out of the picture, so Indy has to be a dad to him. That would give it a different dimension. And he would be "Mutt" Ravenwood, so any more movies starring him would be a new franchise, not just more "Indy Jr." movies.

Yvonne

joelwatts said:
I think it would be much more interesting, and give more depth to the characters, if Shia was Marion's son, but not Indy's, and Indy and Marion wed.

And say Shia's dad is out of the picture, so Indy has to be a dad to him. That would give it a different dimension. And he would be "Mutt" Ravenwood, so any more movies starring him would be a new franchise, not just more "Indy Jr." movies.

I have a (flimsy) working theory. Marion is in some sort of trouble and tells her son (I'll just call him Shia) about Indiana Jones and then tells him where to find him. Shia goes to Marshall College to talk with Indy, but instead of having the chance to talk with him, Indy gets into some sort of trouble and ends up jumping on Shia's bike and the whole chase things happens. Whether or not Shia is Indy and Marion's son, or just Marion's, can really go either way, with the two men forming a friendship ... or maybe just unwillingly combining forces to help Marion.

Niteshade007

Interesting theory Yvonne, but keep in mind, we have no idea if Marion is in this one (or technically even alive at this point). If she is Shia's mom, we may just hear "Oh, she died...blah blah blah."

AHegele

Yvonne said:
I have a (flimsy) working theory. Marion is in some sort of trouble and tells her son (I'll just call him Shia) about Indiana Jones and then tells him where to find him. Shia goes to Marshall College to talk with Indy, but instead of having the chance to talk with him, Indy gets into some sort of trouble and ends up jumping on Shia's bike and the whole chase things happens. Whether or not Shia is Indy and Marion's son, or just Marion's, can really go either way, with the two men forming a friendship ... or maybe just unwillingly combining forces to help Marion.

I can't tell you how much that idea rocks. I truly hope thats how it plays out. I'd like to see a relationship build between the two first with comedy and then with drama ala Henry and Junior in TLC.

Yvonne

Niteshade007 said:
Interesting theory Yvonne, but keep in mind, we have no idea if Marion is in this one (or technically even alive at this point). If she is Shia's mom, we may just hear "Oh, she died...blah blah blah."

It's just a bit of wishful thinking on my part that Marion will show up. :D

Yvonne

AHegele said:
I can't tell you how much that idea rocks. I truly hope thats how it plays out. I'd like to see a relationship build between the two first with comedy and then with drama ala Henry and Junior in TLC.

Thanks! I rather like the idea too. In addition to letting that relationship between Indy and Shia build, we would also have a buildup to the end, where Indy (and us!) would finally see Marion again.

Moedred said:
Marion is from Chicago.
Shia's motorcycle plate reads "1957 Illinois 2690".

Does anyone have a shot that shows the license plate?

If that is true and we have no reason to believe that this guy would make up a thing like that then that does say alot to support the theory that Shia's character is the son of Marion and Indy. Why else would he be from Illinois if not for the University of Chicago connection with Abner Ravenwood and by extension Marion?

If this movie was shot and took place at the University of Chicago an Illinois license plate would have no meaning but since its Marshall College in Connecticut it has alot of meaning. If it was an Indiana license plate it would be a homage to "Indiana" Jones but an Illinois plate has no reason to be there besides the theory I laid out.

Also the speculation that Marshall College is in Illinois is nonsense because of all the Connecticut plates we have seen on the other cars and in addition Marshall College was founded in 1772 when Illinois was no mans land, only an east coast school could be that old.

chicago103 said:
Does anyone have a shot that shows the license plate?

If that is true and we have no reason to believe that this guy would make up a thing like that then that does say alot to support the theory that Shia's character is the son of Marion and Indy. Why else would he be from Illinois if not for the University of Chicago connection with Abner Ravenwood and by extension Marion?

If this movie was shot and took place at the University of Chicago an Illinois license plate would have no meaning but since its Marshall College in Connecticut it has alot of meaning. If it was an Indiana license plate it would be a homage to "Indiana" Jones but an Illinois plate has no reason to be there besides the theory I laid out.

Also the speculation that Marshall College is in Illinois is nonsense because of all the Connecticut plates we have seen on the other cars and in addition Marshall College was founded in 1772 when Illinois was no mans land, only an east coast school could be that old.

I think he means that Shia's character was sent ftom Illinoius to Conn. to contact Indy.

Shortie

Why am I the only one who likes that Indy has a son especally one who's called Mutt Ravenwood, meaning Marion probably'll return....which is a good thing.