TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

Closed for weapons testing?

Starting a separate thread for this. This occurred to me just now... did the Soviets know about the weapons testing which had the base closed off to visitors? It seems to me that they did, because Dovchenko kneeling to tie his shoelace so his men could fire over his back seemed rehearsed. So I think they knew the base would be closed to visitors with minimal personnel, making this the optimal time to break in.

Evidence against them knowing, though, or at least against them knowing what kind of test, and where, is the fact they seemed ignorant of Doom Town's purpose. And also there seemed to be little rush to leave initially, when you'd think there would've been if they'd known about a nearby nuclear blast. So I think they knew there was some kind of test, just not what, and didn't know until a little later at Doom Town.
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
WillKill4Food
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshmeister
It seems to me that they did, because Dovchenko kneeling to tie his shoelace so his men could fire over his back seemed rehearsed.
Well I certainly don't think it was a spur of the moment gesture...
Probably this:
Quote:
So I think they knew there was some kind of test, just not what, and didn't know until a little later at Doom Town.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
Montana Smith
IndyFan

I don't think Lucas, Spielberg et al really thought much through with KOTCS. Out of the four films, this one is the most lightweight, popcorn munching entry. It was all about grand visual statements, lacking the fluidity of ROTLA, the dark journey and horror of TOD, the real relationships of TLC.

Spalko could have been getting her intelligence about the weapons testing schedule from Mutt's monkey chums for all we know.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

I don't think you are supposed to overthink it.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Col. Dietrich
IndyFan

Quote:
Evidence against them knowing, though, or at least against them knowing what kind of test, and where, is the fact they seemed ignorant of Doom Town's purpose. And also there seemed to be little rush to leave initially, when you'd think there would've been if they'd known about a nearby nuclear blast. So I think they knew there was some kind of test, just not what, and didn't know until a little later at Doom Town.
Sorry if I'm a little late. But I think that the Soviet Special Forces Team got their information from the KGB agents stationed in Nevada. Its a little outrageous but they might have found out the weapons testing from the MP Officers, The reason I think that is because they might have posed as FBI agents or Military Personnel and were told by the MP Officers that the base would be closed off for the next 24 hours and were told to leave which they did and went back to the Soviet team to inform them of the weapons testing. (This is just my two cents) Hope this might help if not i'm sorry.
Col. Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote