Bullsh!t

Another breed of Bullsh!t:

DiscoLad said:
Well now that the gangs all here!! :p
IndysBro hasn't happened to post. hm? Then the everyone really would be here.
monkey said:
As usual, <strike>Robin</strike> Prancing Puppy, you have absolutely NOTHING to add to the discussion.

Your posts consist of quoting others, (or waving HI!) and then adding NOTHING.

Is this because you HAVE nothing to add?

Yea! We're all here!Yea!:rolleyes:

The Drifter

Stoo said:
Proof that the automatic pounding Lucas gets for "nuking the fridge" is BULLSH!T. Big, smelly bullsh*t.

I think most of the Lucas hate is bullsh!t, horsesh!t, and even turkeysh!t. Every 'bad" decision made in the films that he's involved in is blamed on him.
Now with The Berg admitting that the fridge scene (a scene which I happened to like) was his idea, that's less bullsh!t flung at George.

The Drifter said:
I think most of the Lucas hate is bullsh!t, horsesh!t, and even turkeysh!t. Every 'bad" decision made in the films that he's involved in is blamed on him. Now with The Berg admitting that the fridge scene (a scene which I happened to like) was his idea, that's less bullsh!t flung at George.

I think Spielberg caught himself speaking frankly and tried to soften the impact by admitting he has retarded ideas too.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I think Spielberg caught himself speaking frankly and tried to soften the impact by admitting he has retarded ideas too.

HA! :D

Oh, hi Rocket!
855651.gif

Hi, Drifter!
855651.gif

Right, now where were we?

Oh, yeah.

The Drifter said:
I think most of the Lucas hate is bullsh!t, horsesh!t, and even turkeysh!t. Every 'bad" decision made in the films that he's involved in is blamed on him.

I don't think we can blame anyone but George where it comes to Star Wars. That's his baby, and he takes full responsibility for that. That sets him up to be a likely candidate for decisions in Indy that can be deemed 'bad'. Now we also know more certainly that Steven is also a candidate for such ideas.

There's no lawman left in Indyville. Anything might happen.

DiscoLad

Rocket Surgeon said:
Yea! We're all here!Yea!:rolleyes:

Yeah!!-... Wait a second.
. . . I see what you did there. 0_o
Oh you clever Rocket you. -_-

No I don't have anything to add to this.
I'll just Prance around... Until I see something I like.

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
Yeah!!-... Wait a second.
. . . I see what you did there. 0_o
Oh you clever Rocket you. -_-

No I don't have anything to add to this.
I'll just Prance around... Until I see something I like.

awhn367l.jpg
:p

Or should this belong here?

Last edited:
Attila the Professor said:
I've always assumed they meant the lengthy dialogue sequence at the table, although their pants do appear at moments, which opens the question of just how long they were <I>sans</I> pants. The bullsh!t here is the "entire Zeppelin sequence" phrase, but it's still one of those old stories that isn't as - ahem - fleshed out as it might be.
There are the two tables...before Flight of the Vogel and after.

I always assumed the frequently repeated pants story was after AV, (After Vogel) while they talked about milkshakes and milkmaids...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
There are the two tables...before Flight of the Vogel and after.

I always assumed the frequently repeated pants story was after AV, (After Vogel) while they talked about milkshakes and milkmaids...

Right, that's what I've always assumed too. But there are definitely pants in a couple of shots there. Still, all that means is that "entire" is bullsh!t, as I have no reason to doubt that the factoid is generally true.

(A part of me has wondered if the trivia is actually meant to refer to the biplane, but it's not nearly as strange and noteworthy should that be the case.)

Montana Smith

Right, that's what I've always assumed too. But there are definitely pants in a couple of shots there. Still, all that means is that "entire" is bullsh!t, as I have no reason to doubt that the factoid is generally true.

(A part of me has wondered if the trivia is actually meant to refer to the biplane, but it's not nearly as strange and noteworthy should that be the case.)

Here's the TV Tropes take on the situation:

Pants Free

In television, film, and especially comics, it is conventional to focus on the upper body, since the upper body is usually the most expressive part of any character. Face, arms, and torso all convey more information to the audience than the legs. In some works, you're doing little more than watching actors talk, and anything other than the face is superfluous anyway.

This has led to the framing of many scenes in many media to lack any onscreen representation of the body below the waist. The legs are still there, of course, just Behind the Black.

Examples

Sean Connery: Went pants free for the zeppelin scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (it was muggy) and supposedly all the driving scenes in the James Bond films. In response to the Last Crusade bit, Harrison Ford elected to go pantsfree for that scene as well.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PantsFree

Crack that whip

Actually, both actors were indeed completely pantsless all throughout all scenes on both the blimp and the biplane, and throughout much of the rest of the movie as well, including all the long shots of Ford and Connery running on the beach, the entire tank chase, and the first half of the motorcycle chase; ILM then added special pants effects throughout these scenes where necessary.

For most such shots in this not-quite-fully-digital age, painstakingly crafted miniature pants made of malleable material were stop-motion animated against projected backgrounds of the live-action plates, so that the pants could be matched against the actors' leg positions as closely as possible. Sometimes, as soon as the animator finished adjusting the pants puppet(s) for each frame, the projected live-action background was replaced with bluescreen, the frame exposed, and then the live-action plate reinserted for the animator's reference for the next adjustment; these shots were then optically composited in the usual manner with the live-action plates. For other shots, the projected backgrounds were actually used right with the pants miniatures in front, so that the final shot included live-action photography that hadn't gone through as many generations of reproduction, to retain greater photographic detail.

Additional pants effects were added to many of the background extras in the Venice street / canal sequences to replace the clearly visible officially licensed Indiana Jones underwear many of them insisted upon wearing on the outside of their jeans, as well as to John Williams in some of the behind-the-scenes documentary footage, as he actually attended most of the scoring sessions wearing nothing on his legs but boxer shorts signed by Cole Porter and Benny Goodman.

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
For most such shots in this not-quite-fully-digital age, painstakingly crafted miniature pants made of malleable material were stop-motion animated against projected backgrounds of the live-action plates, so that the pants could be matched against the actors' leg positions as closely as possible.
Heh, Crack.:) Speaking of animated trousers, there IS a scene in "Doom" where Indy's legs were rendered with traditional, painted animation! (I'm not bullsh*tting and am pretty sure Rocket Surgeon is one of the small, tiny number of Indy fans who knows which part I'm referring to.)

Another bullsh!t thing is:
Chatter Lal pronouncing the "h" in "Thuggee". (Given Indy's knowledge of Indian culture & language, I doubt he would have used the "h", either.)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Heh, Crack.:) Speaking of animated trousers, there IS a scene in "Doom" where Indy's legs were rendered with traditional, painted animation! (I'm not bullsh*tting and am pretty sure Rocket Surgeon is one of the small, tiny number of Indy fans who knows which part I'm referring to.)

The cliffside at the culmination of the "Water!" sequence, yes? The shot from above?

WillKill4Food

That has always been my understanding. It's been a while since I watched the special features disc that was included with one of the pre-Skull trilogy packages , but I think that's what they said in the making-of features. I could be mistaken, because it may have been mere coincidence that footage from the biplane scene was played while the actor(s) [Connery, I believe] discussed the trouserless trivia, but I don't really recall.

It's been a long time since I've watched that disc, and I don't have it handy right now, so don't call me out if my... hazy memory causes me to dump some accidental bullsh1t. ;)

Stoo

The cliffside at the culmination of the "Water!" sequence, yes? The shot from above?
Very close, Attila, but that's not the scene I was referring to. Anyway, I was WRONG about the actual legs being animated.:eek: For the scene in question, the matte AROUND Indy's legs was hand painted, frame-by-frame...(92 frames, to be exact)!
The Drifter said:
Now with The Berg admitting that the fridge scene (a scene which I happened to like) was his idea, that's less bullsh!t flung at George.
In the grand scheme of things, it won't make an iota of difference with regards to how much bullcrap is flung towards the wrong culprit.:(

Bullsh*t Encounters of the Urban Myth Kind: Spielberg didn't eat ONLY Campbell's "SpaghettiOs" while filming "Raiders" in Tunisia.

Montana Smith

Hey, JJ, I think the game with that one is 'spot the odd one out'.

#30 is the only bullsh!t reason! I can't fault him for finding Drew Barrymore.

:p