Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

indyclone25

from comingsoon.net----------------
This afternoon, Walt Disney Pictures made the big announcement at the D23 Expo that the fourth "Pirates" film will hit theaters in Summer 2011 and be titled Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

Speculation has already begun that the subtitle "On Stranger Tides" refers to author Tim Powers' novel with the same name. The following is the official description of the book:

Puppeteer John Chandagnac, who was sailing to Jamaica to get revenge on the uncle who had stolen his father's inheritance, has no choice but to join the buccaneers who have taken him prisoner--and soon, known now as the pirate Jack Shandy, he finds himself learning to survive in a treacherous new world of cutlass-fights, sea-battles, and voodoo magic on sun-blinded tropical islands. The legendary Blackbeard is assembling a ruthless navy of pirates living and undead to voyage to the fabled Fountain of Youth, and Jack Shandy must use magic, swordsmanship, and even his puppeteer skills to free himself and the girl he has fallen in love with from Blackbeard's deadly supernatural domination.

At the end of the third "Pirates" movie, it is shown that both Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) and Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) are next eyeing the Fountain of Youth. Barbossa has "stolen" the Black Pearl back from Sparrow, but Sparrow has cut out the most important part of Barbossa's map to the Fountain of Youth.

If they will be adapting the book, will Sparrow and Barbossa have to team up again against Blackbeard? We'll have to wait and see how it will turn out.

Le Saboteur

indyclone25 said:
If they will be adapting the book, will Sparrow and Barbossa have to team up again against Blackbeard? We'll have to wait and see how it will turn out.

:sleep:

Does Pirates really need anymore characters? No! Maybe Blackbeard will be as badly used as Chow Yun Fat's character was?! After At World's End was bungled, I'll be hard pressed to file in for a fourth movie.

Goonie

The first official title artwork:
Pirates4.jpg

The Drifter

Meh, the boredom that was called At Worlds End ruined any chance of me caring about a part IV, beyond mere curiosity.

Forbidden Eye

Le Saboteur said:
:sleep:

Does Pirates really need anymore characters? No! Maybe Blackbeard will be as badly used as Chow Yun Fat's character was?! After At World's End was bungled, I'll be hard pressed to file in for a fourth movie.

But Bloom and Knightly won't return, making this film have more chance to examine the villain and any other new characters.

The Drifter

Forbidden Eye said:
But Bloom and Knightly won't return, making this film have more chance to examine the villain and any other new characters.

Well, that's one redeeming thing about it. No more love triangles, and I despised the character of Elizabeth Swann.

WillKill4Food

indyclone25 said:
I doubt that they'll be adapting the book. Perhaps Barbossa will be the equivalent of the book's Blackbeard, and Jack Sparrow will be Shandy? If anything, I think it will just be loosely inspired by the book.

Goonie said:
The first official title artwork:
Pirates4.jpg
Are you sure this is real? In the past, each movie's subtitle hasn't been in that font...

Last edited:

The Drifter

Also, hold the phone!
I am not keeping up with this movie much, but please say Johnny Depp will retun to the role of Capt. Jack Sparrow!

Goonie

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Also, hold the phone!
I am not keeping up with this movie much, but please say Johnny Depp will retun to the role of Capt. Jack Sparrow!

He is coming back. He's the one that revealed the title yesterday at the D23 Expo, and, he did it in full Jack Sparrow regalia apparently.

The Drifter

Goonie said:
He is coming back. He's the one that revealed the title yesterday at the D23 Expo, and, he did it in full Jack Sparrow regalia apparently.

Whew, that's a relief. Thanks for the good news!

Robyn

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Well, that's one redeeming thing about it. No more love triangles, and I despised the character of Elizabeth Swann.

Dangit I agree 100% with that one! I hated her so badly when the little creep tied Jack to the ship and kissed him to his death, and then when he comes back he saves her sorry little ass again!:eek: But I hate Bloom's character even more though.. lol

Goonie

Heeeeeeeerrrrreee's Johnny!

object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DM6Batk62cA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DM6Batk62cA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

roundshort

Robyn said:
Dangit I agree 100% with that one! I hated her so badly when the little creep tied Jack to the ship and kissed him to his death, and then when he comes back he saves her sorry little ass again!:eek: But I hate Bloom's character even more though.. lol

but she looked good . . .so very good

MaverickKing

Lucky us then. Orlando and Keira have not signed on: only Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush have been confirmed.

They should have done that back in Pirates 2 - taken the Indy approach and have each sequel relatively unrelated to the film that came before, as opposed to the Star Wars approach of one over-arching story. Would have been a lot more fun.