An Indy 5 Replacement for Pat Roach?

Indy's brother

Let me start by saying there will never be a replacement for Pat Roach. His Charisma and physical presence in the OT are beyond compare!!! The unfortunate truth, however is that he is no longer with us. Igor Jijikine did what was expected of him in KOTCS, but didn't really stack up IMHO. What we need is a versatile and somewhat unknown (Dwayne "The Rock Johnson types need not apply) actor to take up the mantle! Someone to play Goliath to Indy's David. I'll admit that I am at a loss to kick this thread off with a suggestion, but don't let that stop you!

Who would you like to see Indy face off with?

Montana Smith

If he can act, then the 7'2" Russian boxer Nikolai Valuev would be perfect:

article-0-0720F849000005DC-621_634x442.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...aye-beat-Beast-East-heavyweight-champion.html

He'd have no trouble overturning Indy's wheelchair!

Chewbacca Jones

I want to see the next Goliath should be a 5'2" pugilist. Tiny but tough as rocks. Funny because he's small, but never overtly comical. No remarks about taking off people's kneecaps or anything.

DocWhiskey

Chewbacca Jones said:
I want to see the next Goliath should be a 5'2" pugilist. Tiny but tough as rocks. Funny because he's small, but never overtly comical. No remarks about taking off people's kneecaps or anything.

They kind of went that way with the cemetery warriors in KotCS. But don't get me started on that missed opportunity.

Chewbacca Jones

DocWhiskey said:
They kind of went that way with the cemetery warriors in KotCS. But don't get me started on that missed opportunity.

Not really. I mean, a gang of people that aren't very tall isn't a stand-out sequence or opponent. They were more like the Chinese gangsters of ToD or street thugs in Raiders. Yes, they could have been much more, but we're talking about something else. A single character who hardly says a word, and exists for one reason in the movie - to beat Indy up. He has to be unique within the film, preferably unique within the series, and warrant billing just shy of the other main villains, despite very little screen time. THAT, to me, is the Pat Roach/Indy tradition.

Rhys135

Watched 'The Punisher' for the first time recently, and Kevin Nash who played 'The Russian' defintley left an impression with me. The fight between him and Frank Castle was one of the best I've seen on film in a long time, and it has the right amount of great action and humour.

kevin_nash1.jpg

oki9Sedo

Rhys135 said:
Watched 'The Punisher' for the first time recently, and Kevin Nash who played 'The Russian' defintley left an impression with me. The fight between him and Frank Castle was one of the best I've seen on film in a long time, and it has the right amount of great action and humour.

kevin_nash1.jpg

That was the best part in that film, as I recall! You're absolutely right, it was brutal and intense but (deliberately) funny at the same time.

Indy's brother

So far, I like Kevin Nash for this the best. His presence in The Punisher is pretty close to the kind of baddie I would like to see Indy deal with. If not that, then for no other reason than his facial features being common enough to allow him to appear in a single IJ movie more than once and play more than one part. That is, if you're the type of fan (like me) that wouldn't consider that to be some sort of sacrilege to Pat Roach's contributions to the films.

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by Chewbacca Jones

When I read this I instantly thought of Nick Nack from The Man With the Golden Gun. But that's just me!:p
But this point may be on the right track. In the past Indy is constantly thrown against a foe in mortal combat ?its? something we?ve come to expect from Indy. But what if the enemy isn't necessarily a hulking brute? Look at Vogel. He wasn't exactly the type of man you would expect Indy to typically fight but they did, and it worked. Because he was a sadistic, opportunist who went down to the bitter end in a brutal fist fight on a tank (the best fight in the series IMHO). I would personally like to see Indy fight a sadistic secondary villain character like Vogel in Indy V.:hat:

Col. Detritch

Actually, I just found an image of an officer who could fit the bill, for me. If they could find someone like this:

SovietColonel.png

To me this guy looks intelligent and calculated but also ruthless, opportunistic and kinda like he could be quite mad!:hat:

Dr Bones

Rhys135 said:

kevin_nash1.jpg

I agree and always thought that scene could have been Indy inspired.

Whilst I am not to keen on the pastiche that will inevitably lace Indy 5, I would like to have seen Indy vs Roach once more.

Roach did it so well even his scene in the awfiul Never Say Never.

Sadly as Roach as passed, we may be offered an imitation, but that's what it will be.

The Last Crusade survived without it...so can Indy 5.

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by Dr Bones
Whilst I am not to keen on the pastiche that will inevitably lace Indy 5,

Even though these classic elements do create a great feeling of nostalgia for me I have to agree that I would be 10 times better if the entire film created some new Indy classics and traditions. And I think Steven and George got all of their nostalgia out of the way with KotCS and are ready for the next Raiders in the series! (Fingers crossed!)

I would like to have seen Indy vs Roach once more.

Wouldn't we all!:hat: