Which Wine to whine about . . .

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
[As for drinking fine wine, the worst thing in the world is to spend time with someone like roundshort.]

Hey, whats that mean?

Pale, let me know before you go to Napa. I might be able to pull off a nice bottle or two, take a cab!

Deadlock

I think he means that after drinking wine with someone like you, you have a hard time going back to the swill that you normally drink. ;)

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
Well, it was a family vacation. But we left the munchkins with grandparents. (y)

Instead, I was there with my parents and siblings in a renovated villa about 40 minutes outside of Florence.

Trust me, leaving the kids behind. . . .Nice. . . you don't how lucky you are.

roundshort said:
Hey, whats that mean?

It means roundshort thinks he knows a lot about wine. . . .

No, seriously, Deadlock nailed it.

Deadlock said:
I think he means that after drinking wine with someone like you, you have a hard time going back to the swill that you normally drink. ;)

So roundshort when are you going to announce your official pre-screening Indiana Jones tasting so we can get together prior to the film?

Pale Horse

Staff member
I'd make a weekend out of it, couple of nights at the resort, movie there at the AMC, perhaps a fanboy stint on the ride itself, followed by a more civily clad apertif at the Rose...prolly even be able to convince the wife it wouldn't be like a star trek convention.

I was once backpacking through Scotland and scurried out of the rain into an old dark and candle lit pub. My girlfriend and I took a seat at the bar and I asked the maiden with red locks if she had any mead,she looked confused and checked the bottles only to reassure me that she did not have any. I then rummaged through my mind of what would be the next good choice when I spotted a dusty bottle at the very top of the shelf that had a sailers rope wrapped around it and I could barely distinguish the word Mead spelled out. I pointed to the bottle and the bar maid got this ladder to slide across the floor on wheels,the kind they have in Libraries,and she stepped up and grabbed the old thing,placing it down in front of me my eyes grew wide for I am a huge mead fan. as she corked it for the first time and gave the virgin molasses like pour into my glass I knew I had found liquid gold,it was so dark and smelled scrumptious. I gave a cheers to my girlfriend and a well thanked nod to the red lassy and took a sip. It was the best mead I had ever tasted in my life thus far,just then a man walked out from a swinging door walked passed and stopped dead in his tracks as he spotted the opened bottle. He then glanced up at the top shelf and saw the empty space,he gasped for air and then gave a deadlocked stare to the bar maid,who I must say looked petrified. He then slowly eyed me over and I gave a nervous hello when he then asked me "so,how is it?" Its the greatest mead I ever have tasted I answered,well he said it should be,he continued..."when I bought this pub 30 years ago that bottle of mead came with the pub,it was a special token to me from the previous owner,know one knows how old it is." I just about fell out of my seat but then he grabbed the bottle corked it,smiled and said 5 pound for the two glasses and walk away with the bottle. I savoured every last sip. The bar maid looked as though she was going to cry. I on the other hand was delighted beyond belief. Glad I could share that there story with you all. Over and out.:)

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
In fact I have a dinner with good friends from Santa Barbara somewhere in OC. Napa wasn't the first choice, but it may seriously be an option, now.

I was going to bring this up too, Bev Mo is back at it again with the $.05 sale? Any recommendations for zin?

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
Kickin' it at Naples (party of five, with baby as one). Tonight. :)

UGH! I am so bummed I missed you! I was there on Monday night doing staff training, some of the staff is headed for a major wine test that I passed a few years ago so I was in doing some blind tasting!?!?! Wish I would have checked my computer. One fo the somms there is a great friend of mine so I went and watched a decent Monday night football game with him and his wife!

How was the dinner?

How was the bev mo sale? I will fire of a list of great zins I have had lately when I get an extra second.

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
UGH! I am so bummed I missed you! I was there on Monday night doing staff training, some of the staff is headed for a major wine test that I passed a few years ago so I was in doing some blind tasting!?!?! Wish I would have checked my computer. One fo the somms there is a great friend of mine so I went and watched a decent Monday night football game with him and his wife!

How was the dinner?

How was the bev mo sale? I will fire of a list of great zins I have had lately when I get an extra second.

Actually, the five of us made it there about 8:30 to 10:00. We kicked it in the lounge and had the creme brulee, and some bonny doon framboise. We looked for Mickey, our server from the honeymoon, but he had just left. Nico, Becca and Kristina all stopped by cause lil' horsey was being an absolute charmer. It's nice to have a son that will learn how to be in an adult environment from time to time.

To that extent, Naples was all families, loud and uninviting. Pasta was good, but the tile floors killed the mood. We were happy to end the night at the rose.

Take your time with the Zin, Wifey now says she's a Pinot Noir fan, but doesn't want to be "trendy"

roundshort

All wine people end up in Barolo and Pinot Noir at some point, there is no trends when it is in good taste! It is much harder to find good "value" pinot as it is to find good value zin, but I will come up with a nice list!

Mickey is one of my very good friends, when you go to the rose, ask for

John, Poe, Mickey, Dondi, Kristoffer, and Michael they are the best! I am sure I forgot one or two and don't mean to.

If you get Mickey again, ask him how the best somm in Japanese Somm in Napa is (that is still in country) and he will smile.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
I'll PM you about the Rose

Post the Zin list here for all to peruse. :p

Elitists snobs.

How about some wine-in-a-box suggestions for us dirty masses to mull over? sayeth the dirty Monkey Man.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Elitists snobs.

How about some wine-in-a-box suggestions for us dirty masses to mull over? sayeth the dirty Monkey Man.

I can kill 2 birds with one stone,

3 theives tetra pack, fun zin made by Joel Gott and in a box!

Vendetta08

374yj6.jpg

Have a nice swig of my pimp juice

Gruber on Gruner.

Gruber would choose the Gruner. It has a wet taste and is quite liquid-like. My palette is pleased with the subtle taste. I like the Gruner best. The thing I don't like is the fact that peoples feet have trampled on this stuff. You never know where they have been. Also, the spitting into a bucket is a little rude for my tastes. These people have no manners. If they did not like the wine, they should swallow it anyway. I would be most offended if I offered a guest a glass of wine and they spat it into the nearest vase. Also, I think that German wine is the best. I enjoyed a glass of wine in the morning with my friends Dietrich and Vogel. Unfortunately, they both met with little accidents. If I catch the swine who did it... :eek:

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I found myself at the Napa Rose two weeks ago. I must have wandered past it before, not knowing it was part of Disneyland's faux-Awahnee Lodge with the piped-in frog and cricket noises. I often dine at the original Lodge in Yosemite. Saw Rob Lowe last time (thought he was a sex offender?).

Anyway, the sommelier Mr. Jordan sat nearby after his Friday radio show "What's Cooking With Wine." We stayed just long enough for the Sonoma prosciutto pizza appetizer. The runny cambozola cheese was unusual at first, and really excellent. Sit near the kitchen!