Do you still have vinyl?

Zorg

There's a few really good ol' fashioned record shops in town here, which I very much like to visit. I've been thinking for a while about getting LP player and start collecting some classic stuff on vinyl, like the Doors, the Beatles.

Like the new breed of music stores too, though. I'm a regular on iTunes. ;)

Michael24

Over the weekend I picked up THE LAST STARFIGHTER on vinyl for $4 and it sounds fantastic. It's amazing how well a record can hold up when it's just taken good care of.

Gear

No Ticket said:
I actually rarely download music for free. I usually buy the albums. That may seem odd, but I like to own a physical copy... i like seeing the artwork of the cd and case. And I like collecting them.

My feelings exactly. Seriously, you put it perfecty.

Gear

Zorg said:
Like the new breed of music stores too, though. I'm a regular on iTunes. ;)

Theres nothing wrong with getting MP3's, ect. but I think hard copies are still cooler.

They used to think that CDs and DVDs would hold up almost forever but what they discovered was that each time you pop a CD/DVD out of its box it creates small cracks in the disc which over time ruin the copy.

They used to think that CDs could last for about 100 years and DVDs about 500... however, now they know that they might hold up a decade or two.

Laser dics's blew them both outa' the water...

drjones

Laser dics's blew them both outa' the water...

I can't argue with you there. I wish they still made them. Unfortunately, I had to sell almost my entire collection of LDs because I needed the money. All I have left is the Star Wars Trilogy Definitive Collection and the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition sets.

Michael24

I never had LaserDiscs, but I'm glad for that. I would have gotten annoyed having to flip over or change the disc halfway through a movie. DVDs are so much more nicer and convenient.

Vinyl may not be as indestructable as CD but it sounds much, much better in my humble opinion. I have recently purchased the entire Beatles collection on vinyl and it beats the hell out of the CD experience in terms of sound quality.
Bigger sleeve art thrown in for good measure, too. Compact discs have one good function, though: Beer mats.

Gear

Records had a fuller, anolog sound while CD's have the digital sound.

I however still have my entire collection of Casset Tapes, well almost; my collection of Beatles albums got stolen.

(some of the casset tapes [and my CDs] were recorded from records BTW. ;) )