The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Adamwankenobi

Peacock's-Eye said:
To this day, I think they should have done the first season with just Sean, sans bookends, instead of throwing people into the deep end. I love the show - overall, best thing GL ever produced - but even I thought, "A coming of age story about a 9 year old kid isn't what most people think of when you say Indiana Jones..."

Sometimes I wish the show had been named something different, and involved a different character, because it seems a lot of fans who dislike it, feel that way not because of what it actually achieves, but because of what they wanted it to achieve. :(

Peacock's-Eye

Adamwankenobi said:
Sometimes I wish the show had been named something different, and involved a different character, because it seems a lot of fans who dislike it, feel that way not because of what it actually achieves, but because of what they wanted it to achieve. :(

GL said once that there was no other way to get the show made.

But I agree.

Stoo

T.E.Lawrence said:
If anyone of you has a bootleg soundtrack of "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Volume 5" by Curt Sobel, some of the tracks there are from that bookend.
I recently acquired these thanks to "you know who you are".:hat: Unique!
Marty McFly said:
Haha, I was wondering how Old Indy would have told people that story. It was just so out there that no one would have believed him.
Even so, he still has a hard time convincing these particular listeners and has to resort to cheap theatrics!:eek:
tupogirl said:
I remember back in the 90's when VCR's cost about $100 to replace. Now they last maybe 2 years and cost less than $30:p. The tapes are definitely the harder thing to replace!

I want to see Old Indy with dracula teeth;).
Too right! My girlfriend keeps saying I should just scrap it and get a new one.
My reply? "Not until a get that flamin' tape out!"

Here's a "sneek peek" for you...

Transylvania_01.jpg

Flannery10

Wow, Old Indy looks really scary(y) . ORF 1 is an Austrian channel and it's interesting that all the episodes were aired over there. I read that the series was quite a success in Europe, some time ago. I'm pretty sure that all the episodes (except the last 4 TV movies) were aired in Germany.

Too bad "Transylvania" is one of the last episodes, so I won't get to see the whole thing for a while. Perhaps you should upload it this Halloween!!

tupogirl

BWAHAHA! Thank you, that made my night:).

I bet I could get the tape out. I like to take things apart. Just as long as you aren't super concerned about getting the VCR working again;).

ReggieSnake

T.E.Lawrence said:
I am also trying to establish a contact with a person that I meet few years ago over the Internet. He has all the original broadcast transfered to DVD from a 1st generation brodcast VHS SP copy. I am trying to establish a contact and aquire a DVDs.
If you are able to contact him, would you ask him if he minds if you pass on his info? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a copy.;)

indyclone25

i video taped many of all the episodes as the aired on abc --- some with weather warnings (which upset me to no end ) i have a dvd recorder with a tape player and was thinking about transferring all this summer that would chew up some man hours ... i have them with old indy and some with commercials showing what is coming up in the next episode --- would be nice to see those again

DIrishB

Thanks, Stoo, for linking me here and for putting these together in the first place. Yet another invaluable resource for Indy fans. I'm eagerly awaiting Part 7! How's that coming along?

Stoo

DIrishB said:
Thanks, Stoo, for linking me here and for putting these together in the first place. Yet another invaluable resource for Indy fans. I'm eagerly awaiting Part 7! How's that coming along?
My pleasure!:hat: The project is temporarily on hold until I procure the English audio for a couple of bookends.

ReggieSnake

Stoo said:
My pleasure!:hat: The project is temporarily on hold until I procure the English audio for a couple of bookends.
And we thank you for it.

-the mono-lingual english speaking members of The Raven;) :p

I still haven't watched any of the bookends because I haven't had time to watch all the YIJC yet this summer.:rolleyes:

KillerKellerjr

I have a copy of the DVD's as originally aired with the bookends! They are great, I have watched them several times. The quality is VHS quality of course but I don't care as I get the episodes they way they were meant to be seen, with bookends!!!

DIrishB

KillerKellerjr said:
I have a copy of the DVD's as originally aired with the bookends! They are great, I have watched them several times. The quality is VHS quality of course but I don't care as I get the episodes they way they were meant to be seen, with bookends!!!

You lucky dog!

Speaking of which, I'm adding in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles to the Indy timeline. Basically, I'm approaching it as the Adventures of YIJ occur from 1908-1920, and the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles occur from 1992-1993, but flashback to the events of 1908-1920 (basically just as it was done in the series).

However, I'm only adding in the YIJC which actually HAD the George Hall Old Indy bookends, since adding the ones without the bookends is just redundant. I know a few of the later episodes didn't have the bookends, and the Mystery of the Blues (US Version) had the Harrison Ford bookends (thus I'm including the UK version of Mystery of the Blues since that version contained the Hall bookends).

My question is (and this is aimed at Stoo since he's an encyclopedia when it comes to Young Indy), are there any specific timeline markers in the Old Indy bookends? Stuff like snow on the ground, holidays, etc that could help pin down the Old Indy bookends to particular times of year? I remember it was cold in the episode where Indy conversed with the mail lady, and I think it was spring when he was arrested, etc. Also, did the Transylvania 1918 episode have bookends?

I have a bunch of other Old Indy related questions, but thats all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Junior Jones

DIrishB said:
My question is (and this is aimed at Stoo since he's an encyclopedia when it comes to Young Indy), are there any specific timeline markers in the Old Indy bookends? Stuff like snow on the ground, holidays, etc that could help pin down the Old Indy bookends to particular times of year? I remember it was cold in the episode where Indy conversed with the mail lady, and I think it was spring when he was arrested, etc. Also, did the Transylvania 1918 episode have bookends?

I'm not Stoo, but off the top of my head, I remember that the "Transylvania, 1918" episode had bookends of Old Indy telling his story to some Trick-or-Treaters, which places it at Halloween. Also, the bookends for "Peking, 1910" take place at a Thanksgiving gathering.

For your viewing pleasure, Stoo has uploaded many of the bookends at YouTube. The first one is here.

DIrishB

Junior Jones said:
I'm not Stoo, but off the top of my head, I remember that the "Transylvania, 1918" episode had bookends of Old Indy telling his story to some Trick-or-Treaters, which places it at Halloween. Also, the bookends for "Peking, 1910" take place at a Thanksgiving gathering.

Perfect! Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for.

For your viewing pleasure, Stoo has uploaded many of the bookends at YouTube. The first one is here.

Yeah, I'd seen it (and loved it). I was planning on using the bookends Stoo collected there to help place those episodes, but wondered about the ones he hadn't edited or posted yet.

Stoo

GOOD NEWS! I've just received word that the English footage I've been waiting for is about to arrive!
Part 7 should be uploaded soon!:)(y)

Flannery10 said:
Too bad "Transylvania" is one of the last episodes, so I won't get to see the whole thing for a while. Perhaps you should upload it this Halloween!!
I may just do that!;) If time allows, I'll upload the Transylvania bookends in time for Hallowe'en (out of order!) just for fun.:eek:
Reggie Snake said:
I still haven't watched any of the bookends because I haven't had time to watch all the YIJC yet this summer.
Your constitution is admirable, Reggie. Hope you enjoy the rest of the series!(y)

DIrishB said:
Yes, there are several clues as to the time of year throughout the bookends but my contention has been to place
them in the order that they aired. (With the exception of 2 episodes, as Junior Jones noted, Transylvania & Peking).
When arrested, Old Indy wore the same coat as the mailbox sequence and they aired one after another which is why
they've been placed together. I've spent a sick amount of time dissecting the bookends so if you have any questions,
let me know.

For the Transylvania bookends, look back on the previous page, Post #203!":eek:

Junior Jones said:
Thanks for linking the "extended" version, Junior. Looking back again, there are a few changes I'd like to make.:eek:
Old Indy Lives (and will live again)!

Flannery10

Great to see you back at this thread, Stoo. I hope you had a great summer by the way (by that I mean all of my fellow Raveners.)

I may just do that! If time allows, I'll upload the Transylvania bookends in time for Hallowe'en (out of order!) just for fun.

Great. If you need some help with the translations from German to English, I'd love to help you. I've been wanting to see those bookends for some time now.

I also started to watch my DVDs again, but this time I'm watching them in the original airing order (yes, it ticks me off that I have to change discs after 45 minutes, but it's worth it) and after that I'm going to watch the documentaries for the first time (I just finished the one about General Pershing today). Even though I really enjoyed those documentaries so far, I'm still not really over the loss of the bookends. So, once again, I really apreciate you doing this.

DIrishB

So just re-watched all the Old Indy Chronicles courtesy of Stoo. From what I can gather, those first six videos cover about the first half of the Old Indy bookends. And timeline wise, seems most of the bookends are dated at the time they aired (down to the month and year), at least so far. Are those dates official, or did you add them Stoo? I only ask because I notice not all the episodes had dates at the beginning. Looking forward to the rest of them! So the ones still to be edited include:

Petrograd, July 1917
The Scandal of 1920, New York, June 1920 / July 1920
Vienna, November 1908
Northern Italy, June 1918
Ireland, April 1916
Paris, September 1908
Benares, January 1910
Paris, October 1916
Transylvania, January 1918
Peking, March 1910

Also, is it possible to download and save Youtube videos to your own computer? I'd love to save them and burn the Old Indy vids onto a DVD-R so I can watch them at leisure...am I missing some way to download them, or is that not an option with Youtube videos?

Flannery10

No, I'm afraid you can't download youTube videos. That's especially due to the fact, that they don't want you downloading music videos from there for free.

You forgot the George Hall bookends for the Florence episode, but I don't think Stoo has that one complete. By the way, are you planning to upload the original Travels with Father bookends on youTube, Stoo?

DIrishB

Flannery10 said:
No, I'm afraid you can't download youTube videos. That's especially due to the fact, that they don't want you downloading music videos from there for free.

Oh well...maybe I can convince Stoo to email me his original versions. *wink, wink*

You forgot the George Hall bookends for the Florence episode, but I don't think Stoo has that one complete.

Whoops, you're right. Accidentally skipped over that one (probably because the surrounding episodes don't have bookends).

By the way, are you planning to upload the original Travels with Father bookends on youTube, Stoo?

Sean Patrick Flannery/Young Indy did the bookends for the original Travels with Father, right? Was anything cut or left out from the Adventures version over the original Chronicles version?