Disney eyeing Chris Pratt

Duaner

Lao_Che said:
I'd like Ford to get a last hurrah if possible

It's been stated a lot in this forum, but I think Ford could get his last hurrah in the same film. Reverse the format of "Last Crusade" - instead of a short Young Indy adventure at the beginning, we have a short "Old Indy" adventure. Then we flash back to the main story with the new younger actor (maybe there is a slight connection between the two adventures). Then of course, we need to finish up with Harrison Ford at the very, very end and give him the "ride off into the sunset" moment.

Then all later Indy films can be solely the new guy.

Dr. Gonzo

Túrin Turambar said:
Thought this would be understood by most on here...

And I bet When Harry Walked into Steven's living room in March, Frank was Sat right there too.

Z dweller said:
I heard from a reliable source that Elvis was serving drinks.

Guys, I bet Tom Cruise was sitting on the couch right next to Frank Marshall and Elvis! I just know it!

And knowing Tom, he probably started jumping up and down uncontrollably after he was handed the part of Indy from Harrison Ford himself!

Indy1Jones2

Duaner said:
It's been stated a lot in this forum, but I think Ford could get his last hurrah in the same film. Reverse the format of "Last Crusade" - instead of a short Young Indy adventure at the beginning, we have a short "Old Indy" adventure. Then we flash back to the main story with the new younger actor (maybe there is a slight connection between the two adventures). Then of course, we need to finish up with Harrison Ford at the very, very end and give him the "ride off into the sunset" moment.

I like that.

Z dweller

DDW1 said:
I believe that would be the best route to take. Cast an actor that could play Indy in the late 1920's, early 30's. Then after about three films, the audience would be fully engaged and would believe in the actor enough to accept storylines within the original timeline (1935 - 1957).
I agree.

Even a couple of successful movies (in all likelyhood made without any involvement by the beards) would probably be enough to establish the new actor, after which the very concept of "canon" as it is now understood by diehard fanboys would become meaningless.

DDW1

I don't see anything wrong with keeping the films that have been made as part of the character's canon. The franchise is set up beautifully in the way that Indy's adventures, past and present, can be established. When the new actor reaches that part of the timeline, those films can still be part of the mythos. The filmmakers could even play off of those films. I would like to see a story that takes place directly after the events of Raiders, maybe going after the golden idol or something. Or Indiana returning to Shanghai and getting back at Lao Che. I think tying those films in to the new ones would add depth and a richness to the universe that already exists but can definitely be built upon.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Imagine an Indy-Forrestal backstory; the two of them competing against each other on their masters thesis under Abner for a final grade.

Z dweller

DDW1 said:
I don't see anything wrong with keeping the films that have been made as part of the character's canon.
Absolutely, that's not what I meant.

Indy is Indy because of the first four movies, and it would be foolish of Disney to tinker with their spirit, or with the way they portrayed the character.

At the same time, I see no need to strictly adhere to every single element of the "canon" movies.

For instance, I don't think it's necessary to always have creepy-crawlies of some kind in each movie (it's getting a bit old at this stage), or in terms of structure having an all-action opening scene followed by exposition.
And so on.

DDW1

Z dweller said:
Absolutely, that's not what I meant.

Indy is Indy because of the first four movies, and it would be foolish of Disney to tinker with their spirit, or with the way they portrayed the character.

At the same time, I see no need to strictly adhere to every single element of the "canon" movies.

For instance, I don't think it's necessary to always have creepy-crawlies of some kind in each movie (it's getting a bit old at this stage), or in terms of structure having an all-action opening scene followed by exposition.
And so on.

I totally agree. The structure should always be challenged. You can come back to it, use it to play with audience expectations, but it should never be set in stone.

Lao_Che

Duaner said:

I'd do it the other way: introduce the new actor in the prologue and give Ford the farewell.

While Ford bookends would make for a nice connection to the TV series, I think Ford stepping aside for his replacement in that way could feel bittersweet. O' course, if it was a great movie, it'd probably be forgiven.

Silvor

If Ford had just a small bookend the story role it would feel like defeat, like he's admiting he doesn't have what it takes anymore. I don't think he'd want to do that, I know I don't want to see it.
In fact, if Ford just plays a small part in the movie I'd rather he not be in it at all.

The best way to do it if you absolutely have to continue the series is have Ford be the main star for one last time and end the movie with Indy maybe sacrificing himself or retiring for some reason.

Let the new actor play a small part in the movie and end it with a hint that he'd go on advenures of his own. It's too bad Shia ruined his relationship with Spielberg or he could have played that role. Would have made sense too as the son.

And again, please stop with the condescending tone towards peple with different opinions in here, it's just schoolyard like behaviour. Aren't we over stuff like that?

Silvor said:
If Ford had just a small bookend the story role it would feel like defeat, like he's admiting he doesn't have what it takes anymore. I don't think he'd want to do that, I know I don't want to see it.
In fact, if Ford just plays a small part in the movie I'd rather he not be in it at all.

The best way to do it if you absolutely have to continue the series is have Ford be the main star for one last time and end the movie with Indy maybe sacrificing himself or retiring for some reason.

Let the new actor play a small part in the movie and end it with a hint that he'd go on advenures of his own. It's too bad Shia ruined his relationship with Spielberg or he could have played that role. Would have made sense too as the son.

And again, please stop with the condescending tone towards peple with different opinions in here, it's just schoolyard like behaviour. Aren't we over stuff like that?

Yes agreed, he's not going to want to play second fiddle to a new young Indy, best thing to do is have the new young actor in a few recurring flash back scenes, set in the 20's and 30's similer to what we had in the The Last Crusade with the into River bit.

Z dweller

Silvor said:
If Ford had just a small bookend the story role it would feel like defeat
This has absolutely nothing to do with "defeat" or "victory".
You make it sound like a game, while in reality it's about making a good movie that audiences will enjoy.

Silvor said:
like he's admiting he doesn't have what it takes anymore. I don't think he'd want to do that
Actually, it would be the professional, mature thing to do for an actor in his mid-seventies wanting to make a final contribution to an action film series he was instrumental in building.
And I bet Harry would definitely consider a small role, if he liked the script.

Z dweller

So, I am assuming you Ford fundies would be totally gutted if Harry did accept a small role?

What would you do, repudiate him? ;)

Duaner

Túrin Turambar said:
Harry will not allow himself just to be a short cameo, it's His baby. Indiana Jones is his property, it's His way or the highway..

Actually it's Disney's property. They can go on without him if he were to reject a small role.

TheFedora

Z dweller said:
So, I am assuming you Ford fundies would be totally gutted if Harry did accept a small role?

What would you do, repudiate him? ;)

Movie opens with Harrison Ford Indy hanging by a ledge over a cliff.

He falls into the water.

Water is fountain of youth.

Comes out Chris Pratt/Bradley Cooper/ Any other young male 30ish star with a vaguely action hero looks.:whip:

Finn

Staff member
Moderator Note

This is a message board, people, not a chat room. That means that while commenting on the topic or something stated by fellow poster, they ought to contain a little more than simple "ditto" or something similar. If you agree or disagree, tell us why.