inner choice and political reasons ?

Barryson Ford

what an interesting quote from Ford on the newspage : Indy has need of time to understand the conflict between inner choice and political reasons.

man , i wonder what he means with that.

Is Indy confronted with the McCartney hearings in Indy 4 ?
Perhaps Indy is forced on a mission by the administration to find some 'deadly' artifact or he gets labelled a communist.

I dunno but 'political reasons' has me intruiged.

[Edited by Barryson Ford on 06-07-2003 at 01:37 pm]

torao

Moderator Emeritus
i`m a lil bit confused by that quote as well. i thought it was because of my bad english.

i guess harrison means that indy has to leave anything personal behind to save the world(protect it against evil political forces)??????? ?? ? :rolleyes: indeed i don´t like that interpretation.....and i don`t think it`s right.

i hope for some good ideas what it could mean.

maybe harrison still hasn`t read the script and just wants to spread some confusing rumors...

Indy Canuck

Barryson Ford said:

Perhaps Indy is forced on a mission by the administration to find some 'deadly' artifact or he gets labelled a communist.

I'd REALLY hate to sound like a nagging nerdy English and History geek (which I can ben when I'm in school) but it's the "McCarthy" hearings I think you're talking about. Now the irony would not escape me if I misspelled THAT name, so if I did someone feel free to bug me.

But corrections aside, that is an interesting quote. Does this mean they're putting actual political points in a comic book-inspired film? This might actually be cool, if it doesn't descend into some sort of Robocop 2-esque "kids don't do drugs" kind of message.

This little tidbit is so damn tantilising.....I could just...just....giggle like a school girl.

(I really need to get out more I think.)

Randy_Flagg

Indy Canuck said:
Barryson Ford said:

it's the "McCarthy" hearings I think you're talking about.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.... He was talking about when Paul McCartney tried suing Michael Jackson. That's what will be featured in Indy 4.

DrJones56

IndyFan
Randy_Flagg said:
Indy Canuck said:
Barryson Ford said:

it's the "McCarthy" hearings I think you're talking about.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.... He was talking about when Paul McCartney tried suing Michael Jackson. That's what will be featured in Indy 4.
Where in the aweful deapths of hell did THAT come from? :confused:

Either there's something BIG coming in Indy IV, or he's just trying to divert our attention. Or it could be both.

Trust no one... :D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sounds promising, if Harry knows what he's talking about.

Something about McCarthy sounds rather possible...I'm not sure what exactly though, of course. Perhaps Indy is labelled a Commie...I wouldn't be surprised.

bob

I personally believe it is connected with how/what you want to do compared with the political realites. And that compromises have to be made between what is right and politics.

This sounds more like a Cold War flick than anything else and i think it is very encouraging as the trilogy were (to put it kindly) divorced from the realities of the time and other than LC couldnt be said to have any great depth in themes or dilemas if Indy IV has this then i smell fresh ideas rather than a rehash.

DrJones56

IndyFan
Keep in mind, it was translated twice, so information could have been lost in the translation.

My guess would be Cold War, it takes place in the 50's, it would make sense. Only time will tell I guess...

"Commies, I'm beginning to hate these guys." :D

FordFan

I think that'd be stupid if Indy was labeled a Commie. Or accused of being one. That's too much like The Majestic, which Darabont made.

DrJones56

IndyFan
FordFan said:
I think that'd be stupid if Indy was labeled a Commie. Or accused of being one. That's too much like The Majestic, which Darabont made.
Very true...

They need to stay FAAAR away from making Indy look bad. He's not a guy with a bad side, he's a hero, not some guy who will sell out to the highest bidder.

indydude

I don't want them to go to far with Indy4 since it is the last Indy movie, I am not saying I do not want it to be unique, I am saying I don't want it to be over the top, Indy being accused of being a Commie is WAY over the top, remember this is Indy not K19.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm not sure McCarthy or one of his goons (like Cecil B. DeMille, but that's another story) accusing Indy of being a "Red" is all that over the top. Many people were accused of such a thing, and Indy, probably being known as anti-Fascist, would probably be pointed at with paranoid conservative fingers.

DrJones56

IndyFan
Attila the Professor said:
I'm not sure McCarthy or one of his goons (like Cecil B. DeMille, but that's another story) accusing Indy of being a "Red" is all that over the top. Many people were accused of such a thing, and Indy, probably being known as anti-Fascist, would probably be pointed at with paranoid conservative fingers.

Never happen...

like said earlier, too much like The Majestic. It just ain't gonna happen, I don't buy it. There may be something like that happening in the movie, but nobody would accuse Indy of being a communist. Highly unlikely...

FordFan

Well Communism is a debate you know? And the movie would steer its way into a debate in dealing with the Rosenbergs. That's a tricky subject to deal with when an Indy movie is involved. And you have to understand that a lot of people will go into this movie expecting it to be bad so it is VITAL that the movie starts out on the right foot.

Marcus Petrius

I think Inner choice and political reason means...
Indy finds something, but as he discovers the political consequences (re-rise of the Third Reich?) of his discovery, he decides not to make it public.

wolfgang

I think he is going to be in a big dilema of "should I do what I want (might be the good thing or bad, you decide while we still don't know) or what the goverment want?"

FordFan

Not a lot of people will think it'll be a bad movie before they go in, but I just think Communism is a bad thing to accuse Indy of.

bob

FordFan said:
Not a lot of people will think it'll be a bad movie before they go in, but I just think Communism is a bad thing to accuse Indy of.

Why not?

Indy had contacts in USSR (see Fate of Atlantis the closest non film material i consider to be canon)
Indy generally did not seem to be a pillar of the establishment
Indy was involved in some activities in Russian Revolution
No doubt the Nazis would have accused Indy as being part of a Jewish Bolshevick Conspiracy

Admittedly all of this is pretty thin as we know very little of Indys fame and political opinions however it seems possible. But including Macarthy would for me leave me in the taste of YIJ in meeting major historical characters...it could happen though