Whats your fav YI episode?

Crack that whip

I'm inclined to go with Oganga, The Giver and Taker of Life, or "German East Africa, December 1916" and "The Congo, January 1917".

This is one of the stories I think works beautifully in its "movie" reconfiguration, even with the dubbing and loss of Old Indy and all; even though the two halves are distinct, the first flows into the second wonderfully, and the two parts taken together are so moving and poignant. The Old Indy bookends are essential, and the things lost here do grate, as they always do, but this story also gains from the joining, and this one really works so well as a "movie." I think sometime I'll just have to make a point of watching "German East Africa, December 1916," "The Congo, January 1917" and Oganga, The Giver and Taker of Life back-to-back to get the full experience.

I think it does so much to show who Indy really is and how he got to be the way we know him from the feature films - the events in this one episode, perhaps more than any other, do more IMO to shape and mold his philosophical outlook on life. Here he sees colossal waste of human life in fruitless enterprise, very much in keeping with the Verdun material, and yet in the same two-part story he also witnesses noble human endeavor in all its finest. Even if one set aside all the other things we know he's seen and heard and done by the time he's in his mid-thirties, I think the experiences of this one episode go a long way toward showing how the same individual who can be a cavalier, mercenary figure, fallen from the pure faith of archaeology and motivated to some extent by fortune and glory, seemingly unwilling to let romantic commitment hamper his sexual adventurism, can also hold the idealistic, noble spark that drives him to sacrifice his prizes and take on immense personal risk to save innocent lives and liberate powerful relics from evil agency. Albert Schweitzer's "reverence for life" philosophy is, I think, essentially what propels Indiana Jones through the adventure in the temple of doom, the quest for the Ark, etc., when he might be content to walk away with only his own life secure.

---

But aside from that? I want to say (to use a mix of original episodes and movie reconfigurations):

? "Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal" (the perfect introduction to the show, and bridge from the original movies to it)
?"Paris, September 1908" (an adventurous escapade no less entertaining for taking place entirely during Indy's boyhood, in a metropolitan setting, and in the art world)
?"British East Africa, September 1909"
?"London, May 1916" (featuring the young woman I like to think of as one of the two all-time great loves of Indy's life, the other of course being Marion)
?"Somme, Early August 1916" & "Germany, Mid-August 1916" / Trenches of Hell
?"Verdun, September 1916" & "Paris, October 1916" / Demons of Deception (such starkly contrasting episodes, but at the same time the movie reconfiguration does allow for inclusion of material "too sensitive" for television, and the movie's more powerful for it; if I overlook the omission of the old Indy bookends, it's hard for me to say which I prefer more here, for the moment, though that might change with fresh viewings of both versions)
?(Young Indiana Jones and the) Phantom Train of Doom
?"Barcelona, May 1917" (very funny!)
?Attack of the Hawkmen (featuring IMHO the best aerial combat to date in the entire Indy mythos, whether from TV show, movie, novel, comic or game - the only better Indy fight involving aircraft was set entirely on the ground, near the Tanis dig site; this also has a nicely "adventurous" feel to it, and Indy looks rakish even in a very different leather-based getup from the one in which we're most accustomed to seeing him)
?Treasure of the Peacock's Eye (not too hard to see where this sort of adventuring is going to lead, is it? ;) :D - a nice tie to the movie series, even with its different, distinctly YIJ style)
?(Young Indiana Jones and the) Mystery of the Blues (great bookends in this one ;) plus a different sort of philosophical exploration in how it delves into what makes jazz, and a rare Indy screen tale in which the original score takes a back seat to the source cues, for reasons more than warranted)

... and, uh, all the rest. Perhaps I'd better just say I love this show (or better yet, this character and all his adventures, whether for the large screen or the small one)...

(y)

Adamwankenobi

Crack that whip said:
This is one of the stories I think works beautifully in its "movie" reconfiguration, even with the dubbing and loss of Old Indy and all; even though the two halves are distinct, the first flows into the second wonderfully, and the two parts taken together are so moving and poignant. The Old Indy bookends are essential, and the things lost here do grate, as they always do, but this story also gains from the joining, and this one really works so well as a "movie." I think sometime I'll just have to make a point of watching "German East Africa, December 1916," "The Congo, January 1917" and Oganga, The Giver and Taker of Life back-to-back to get the full experience.

Yeah, it's the only YIJC episodes that I think work great either way (original or re-edits).

Also, the bookends for these two episodes did an excellent job of connecting the past to the present. No surprise really, with Darabont as the writer. :hat:

As I went through this thread I was surprised that I hadn't weighed in on it, kept expecting to see my name.. but.. since I haven't... I'll get on with this difficulty:

Treasure of the Peacocks eye:
(the second half specifically, his discussions with malinowski about the nature of time, and how little of it we have, and the need to follow your dreams actually compelled me to take a good look at my life a few years ago, and got it back on track, so this episode will always have a special place in my heart. That and Indy's recklessness [somersaulting off those steps, jumping into that boat] reminds me of me ALOT, and the way the trobizand island culture is portrayed as completly confusing, with no real explanation. Love that. The business with the skull pillows and that)

Oganga the giver and taker of life:
Amazingly moving episode, makes you think and reanalyse how you've been bred to think and see the world. No episode like it in television.

Ireland 1916
Simply because I'm irish, and I find it so crazy,, Indiana Jones vs Sean Lemass! Bring it on!

Prague 1917
Again reminds me of times in my own life, or really one particular time that was EXACTLY like this, well not exactly, but pretty close. Just how it builds to higher and higher levels of insanity gets me gripped every time

Italy 1917 (or is it 18?)
Indy and Ernies love fight is alway immensely entertaining. Especially the food eating competition followed by that amazing musical duel

London 1916
Everyone has to see and love this episode, better then most romantic movies, more true anyway, more heartfelt, and with Indiana Jones in it, what can I say. Plus its the only role Liz Hurley actually appears to be able to act in.

Greece 1909
My favourite young young indy episode, It really gives Lyold Owen such an amazing chance to shine, and I've watched that sequence starting from his joyful philosophy swordfight, to the end, so many times. 'Take me Junior, I'm covered in Chickens and it doesn't effect me' great stuff

Verdun 1916
Moving, amazingly shot, and just poetic, that scene in the church hospital with remy looks so amazing, better then some feature films, its a pity this sheen of the first 2 series was lost later on

Vienna 1908
Indy breaking into the palace of Franz Ferdinand, aged nine, on a mission of Love. Charming. Simply charming.

Winds of Change
The first part is the best introduction to the treaty of Versailles anyone could ever see, yet they still manage to get all that great character stuff in between Indy and Ned, Indy finally sees the truth of the war, and the second part is great for its sheer uncomfortableness.

Mystery of the Blues
Great Music, great characters, great fun, especially the Jazz action music in the warehouse

I also love Scandel of 1920, Trenches of Hell, Spring Break Adventure, most of them really, I only really skim past the second part of tales of innocence and whats become of my first adventure, Everything else I love.

I think its just the character, I've always seen young indy as a real guy, in a way Older Indy just isn't. I dunno why, I think its cos we've seen Indy aged 17 to 21 in so many normal everyday situations. Also far too much of him is in me. Can't understand how people can hate this show. Oh well