Does anyone pretend KOTCS didn't happen?

Raiders90

Simple as the name of the thread--Does anyone here feel the series truly ended with LC or pretend KOTCS didn't happen?

You are on a "Start New Thread" tear!

No, I don't pretend it didn't happen, though despite the ark showing up in almost all the sequels, I treat them as individual/independent stories. They're so different in tone.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
The temptation to gouge out my eyes was only thwarted by the fact of the images being burned on to my brain.

Over time I've come to accept skull, it took a lot of therapy but ultimately it's part of the family and it's hard it keep hating it.:D

Darth Vile

Unless suffering from a psychological disorder, I'm not sure why anyone would want to pretend KOTCS "didn't happen". One may rue the making of the movie, one may regret paying for a movie ticket and spending 2 hours watching a movie... but to pretend it didn't happen is getting into serious Walter Mitty territory... :)

Dr Bones

Raiders112390 said:
Simple as the name of the thread--Does anyone here feel the series truly ended with LC or pretend KOTCS didn't happen?

The series hasn't ended...KOTCS was just an average day out for Indy. Better times ahead we hope.

Indy's brother

I have nothing to add, as I agree with every post so far. Wait, so why did I bother....oh yeah, because I'm bored and want to be down with this thread.:p

Raiders90

Darth Vile said:
Unless suffering from a psychological disorder, I'm not sure why anyone would want to pretend KOTCS "didn't happen". One may rue the making of the movie, one may regret paying for a movie ticket and spending 2 hours watching a movie... but to pretend it didn't happen is getting into serious Walter Mitty territory... :)

Because you can recognize it as a terrible entry that ruins a lot of aspects of the series and contradicts a lot of things. Indy doesn't act like Indy in this one. The plot is horribly paced; I've no problem with aliens in Indy but the way it was executed was terrible. It contradicted a lot of other great material. To me, the movie happened in another dimension in the Indy-verse.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
Because you can recognize it as a terrible entry that ruins a lot of aspects of the series and contradicts a lot of things. Indy doesn't act like Indy in this one. The plot is horribly paced; I've no problem with aliens in Indy but the way it was executed was terrible. It contradicted a lot of other great material. To me, the movie happened in another dimension in the Indy-verse.

The argument that Indy wasn't Indy in KOTCS is one I don't understand. For me he was still the glue that held that film together - he was consistent in character, considering this is 19 years since we last saw him, and for a large part of the film he's under the influence of the Skull.

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
The argument that Indy wasn't Indy in KOTCS is one I don't understand. For me he was still the glue that held that film together - he was consistent in character, considering this is 19 years since we last saw him, and for a large part of the film he's under the influence of the Skull.

If there is a reason to enjoy KOTCS, Harrison is the reason. George doesn't understand his own creation anymore, Spielberg is a different director than he was for the OT, but Harry was as true to form as the script would allow. He delivered the goods as far as I'm concerned, which is why I salivate for another movie. There is plenty of mileage left in this series, now that the nostalgia and the reintroducing the character is out of the way. Harrison was NOT one of the weak links in the chain of KOTCS' failures, of which there were many.

AndyLGR

Indy's brother said:
If there is a reason to enjoy KOTCS, Harrison is the reason. George doesn't understand his own creation anymore, Spielberg is a different director than he was for the OT, but Harry was as true to form as the script would allow. He delivered the goods as far as I'm concerned, which is why I salivate for another movie. There is plenty of mileage left in this series, now that the nostalgia and the reintroducing the character is out of the way. Harrison was NOT one of the weak links in the chain of KOTCS' failures, of which there were many.
I agree with the this. The problems with the film had nothing to do with Harrison, imo. Give the a ctors a good story to work with and we would be in for a better Indy 5.

As for pretedning it doesnt exist, no I don't do that. As much as I don't like the movie unfortunately its there and theres nothing that can be done about it.

Darth Vile

Raiders112390 said:

You state that you "recognize" and then go onto list elements you don't like about the movie. I think you've completely failed in successfully achieving the erasing of KOTCS from your consciousness. Even accessing this thread is a recognition that the movie exists. ;)

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:

As we discussed in another thread. I think both Spielberg and Ford reflected the weaker elements of the movie. As much as I think Ford is great, I'm not sure how much more good will there is to see a hobbling octogenarian Indy stumbling about the jungle/desert... For many of the older fans, there was a slight bad taste in seeing Indy have to share the screen with someone 50 years his junior (Mutt). That requirement ain't gonna change for any possible Indy V. Do we really want to see Indy pushed across the screen, in his wheelchair, by several dog named grandchildren? :)

Raiders90

Indy's brother said:

It wasn't Harrison's performance, his performance was great, it was the lines he was given that don't read like anything Indy would say or do. I mean Indy going right along helping the Soviets (in the Jungle) with no qualms, just for one example? There are just things about Indy's written mannerisms or words in the script that don't seem like anything Indy would ever say.

And I don't like seeing him as an old man anyway. I mean look at the jungle chase--Indy, who is supposed to be the star of the movie--takes a back seat throughout most of it so Shia can sword fight and get his nuts hit repeatedly.

Meerkat

Raiders112390 said:

Heck no. I loved Crystal Skull.

tambourineman

Its just a movie. Damn some people are drama queens.

Even though I think they made some big mistakes, I dont know how any Indy fan couldnt find something to enjoy about the movie and not get a kick out of seeing Indy again after so many years. I was excited enough just to see him do the bookends for that Young Indy episode.

Darth Vile

tambourineman said:

Even though I think they made some big mistakes, I dont know how any Indy fan couldnt find something to enjoy about the movie and not get a kick out of seeing Indy again after so many years. I was excited enough just to see him do the bookends for that Young Indy episode.

Very true... :)

tambourineman said:

Such an idiotic argument and I'm baffled each and every time I hear it. All the apologists have become a real broken record with that nonsense.

It's like saying, "I haven't eaten a pizza in a long while, but I'll be content with Pizza Hut because it has dough, cheese and sauce-- It at least has the ingredients and since I like pizza, I'll like this."

Ingredients do not make the pizza, clearly. It's the skill by which the ingredients are combined. It's why Pizza Hut will only ever make pizza by name, it's why KOCKS will only ever be Indiana Jones by name.

tambourineman

I'm sure being baffled is as fairly regular state for someone like you. And I'm no apologist, I need make no apologies to the likes of you for enjoying a movie.

tambourineman said:
I'm sure being baffled is as fairly regular state for someone like you. And I'm no apologist, I need make no apologies to the likes of you for enjoying a movie.

Clever retort!

:rolleyes:

I enjoy that you don't address the analogy, only impugn my intelligence. You are the one who made excuses for the picture. I'm not obligated to like anything because of a brand name. Then again, I'm not a mindless drone such as yourself...

I like all Indiana Jones films and even prefer Kingdom of the Crystal Skull over the Temple of Doom. So in my eyes even though I think it was inferior to Last Crusade and Raiders I dont think it ruined the franchise after all it beat out Temple from the original three to me.