The Lost Journal

TalonCard

Violet Indy said:
What! That's it for '26? What tight-asses! Not one word regarding the affair with Marion and the fight with Abner and that's a big deal. I can't believe they skipped out on that. Oh well, I'll just have to hope Rob McGregor writes a novel on it...someday.

There's a lead-in to that backstory via a letter from Abner. But that's in the 1925 entry. :D

TC

TalonCard

Adamwankenobi said:
I certainly hope that's not how it is in the actual film, as that was part of the premise of the original YIJC: that Old Indy still has his diary, which he uses to help him recall his young adventures. :(

I doubt we'll see the journal in the film, but I think that what's shown in the YIJC is his diary, as opposed to this "lost journal". It would explain why most of the YIJC have been skipped over. The covers also don't look alike; although the Journal reveals that it once had a similar cover to the YIJC diary, it says that Jones replaced it with the current version in the 30s. So maybe they came as a set.

TC

Actually it is supposed to be the same diary, as inside the cover is 'taped' the original cover, with the Russian Federation Archival caption that it wore out around 1930 and had to be replaced by the one it has...

I find it rather sad, if it is canon, that Indy lost his diary to the Russians, I mean the man kept the thing for 49 years, full of so many adventures, and then its stolen by Russians!!?! Madness. Twould kill me if some Russians stole my diaries.

TalonCard

Raiders112390 said:
Does anyone think this book can be considered canon?

It's probably about as canon as the rest of Indy's "Expanded Adventures". Personally, I prefer the strict film canon, (I.E. YIJC and the four films.) This is, I'll admit, a little hypocritical of me, since I'm a huge fan of the multi-media Star Wars Expanded Universe. Of course, it's a little easier to accept that Han Solo had several encounters with bounty hunters on Ord Mantell than that Indiana Jones solved the mystery of stonehenge multiple times... ;)

TC

OhioJones

Adamwankenobi said:
Here's a man who might disagree with ya: ;)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kmk087Iv-YQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kmk087Iv-YQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Kind of funny that, in this situation, you posted the Old Indy segment that was replaced by for in the original run! ;)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kcwEIs5_z7E&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kcwEIs5_z7E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

But you knew that, of course!

Anyway, I ordered the journal today! I'm really excited to get it.

How long is it.

TalonCard

Jeremiah Jones said:
Actually it is supposed to be the same diary, as inside the cover is 'taped' the original cover, with the Russian Federation Archival caption that it wore out around 1930 and had to be replaced by the one it has...

The problem with that is that old Indy kept his diary well into his ninties, and had several artifacts from his younger years, like a train ticket, in it. And it stll had the original cover.

Now it's true that the "Old Indy" bookends were removed for the latest release...however, the keeper of the "IndyCron", Leeland Chee, hasn't been told to consider them out of the Indy continuity. Also, the newer versions of the Young Indy films still show old Indy's hands thumbing through an intact diary (again, with the original cover) over the end credits.

This, combined with the fact that much of the YIJC are skipped over, leads me to believe that we're looking at two different books--probably part of a set, since they originally looked alike.

TC

Heres a bit of retcon then: The dates in the introduction of the diary are 199 - with the final digit blank, maybe its say, 1990, perhaps Indiana was assumed dead or something, maybe the Russian authorities couldn't reach him or somewhat, after the release of the diary from the archives Indy got word from it and managed to secure it again, and, in a fit of old age nostalgia had the original cover restored, and, refreshed in the tales from his youth on his re reading of the diary, starts spouting tales more then he'd ever done before, cue The young indiana jones chronicles.

Presto..
Continuity fix.
These things happen over in the star wars universe all the time

Adamwankenobi

OhioJones said:
Kind of funny that, in this situation, you posted the Old Indy segment that was replaced by for in the original run!

Well, it was the only one that could be embedded; ever since the whole Rickroll craze started, I've been hesitant to post a url (as it would probably limit my audience). ;)

UltimateManGod

TalonCard said:
The entry for 1926 is just a sketch of a Mayan mask and some notes relating to the novel Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils. The journal then skips to 1933.

TC

Wow, so it skips the final three MacGregor books and the Caidin ones. That's kind of surprising, skipping 5 whole books. Though maybe it's a good thing to skip the Caidin ones. I started Sky Pirates recently, but I'm scared to go on. Their reputation and my own brief skimmings are to blame.

TalonCard

Jeremiah Jones said:
Heres a bit of retcon then: The dates in the introduction of the diary are 199 - with the final digit blank, maybe its say, 1990, perhaps Indiana was assumed dead or something, maybe the Russian authorities couldn't reach him or somewhat, after the release of the diary from the archives Indy got word from it and managed to secure it again, and, in a fit of old age nostalgia had the original cover restored, and, refreshed in the tales from his youth on his re reading of the diary, starts spouting tales more then he'd ever done before, cue The young indiana jones chronicles.

That's not a bad continuity fix...the only problem is that there are inexplicibly two dates in the introduction: December 10, 19--, and May 22, 20--...(a reference to Kingdom's release date.)

Here's a few of my favorite bits:

"The Thuggee, recongnized as a cult more than a religion, offer human sacrifices as a means to win her favor. It is possible that these worshippers call upon black magic, such as the voodoo practices prevalent in New Orleans. However, this theory remains debatable, as voodoo is virtually unheard of in India. Yet, similarities do arise between Louisiana's voodoo and Nkishi in Central Africa, so the possibility that the ritual spread to India exists."

Explanation for Temple's voodoo doll. Cute.

"When I return to school, need to research scientific, medical explantion for heart extraction. Unlike anything I've witnessed previously."

(Note on map leading to the golden idol) "Paramount peak of Mt. Shubet." Yuk, yuk.

(On Cross of Coronado) "Center may contain a relic of the True Cross." :cool:

(On father's Grail Diary) "I don't know how he hasn't memorized this, especially with how long he's spent looking at it over the years."

(On Elsa Scheider) "I have reason to believe that she's not offically in bed with Donovan and the Nazis, but just who is she in bed with?" :hat:

(On Crystal Skulls) "Conceivably a dozen crystal skulls exist worldwide--seems like I've searched for half already."

(Russian note on Indy's search for his father) "Intriguing that he began searching for his father in a library, of all places. This seems to be a quirk unique to academics."

TC

TalonCard

UltimateManGod said:
Wow, so it skips the final three MacGregor books and the Caidin ones. That's kind of surprising, skipping 5 whole books. Though maybe it's a good thing to skip the Caidin ones. I started Sky Pirates recently, but I'm scared to go on. Their reputation and my own brief skimmings are to blame.

Well, the Expanded Adventures references are few and far between. I was kind of surprised that they were referenced at all, as I don't remember them meshing too well with the YIJC. There is, however, a Sky Pirates reference, it's just later in the book. ;)

TC

Iandiana

I just bought mine today from wh smith. They had loads of them! My eldest daughter is borrowing it which makes me happy. Plus GIANT ANTS! WOOO!

Bankruptcy be damned - I'm buying all I can get IJ!

Adamwankenobi

TalonCard said:
(On Crystal Skulls) "Conceivably a dozen crystal skulls exist worldwide--seems like I've searched for half already."

That's awesome that they threw in such a subtle "Expanded Adventures" reference! :cool:

TalonCard

Adamwankenobi said:
That's awesome that they threw in such a subtle "Expanded Adventures" reference! :cool:

Yeah, the low key ones were particularly surprising--and there are a few more of those! :cool:

TC

TalonCard

metalinvader said:
Is their any mention of Fate of Atlantis in the journal?That would be a real shame if that was left out.

Yup; Fate of Atlantis gets two pages, with a brief mention of Infernal Machine in the Russian notes.

There's also a reference to one of the European books, surprisingly, but it's in relation to what might be considered a Kingdom spoiler.

TC

metalinvader

TalonCard said:
Yup; Fate of Atlantis gets two pages, with a brief mention of Infernal Machine in the Russian notes.

There's also a reference to one of the European books, surprisingly, but it's in relation to what might be considered a Kingdom spoiler.

TC

That's great to hear.Sounds like the author really did his homework on this.

What European book is referenced?

TalonCard

I believe it's the one with the viking longship. Unless I've those events mixed up with the Sargasso Pirates comic--I'm an expert as far as the Star Wars Expanded Universe goes; Indy's Expanded Adventures are new territory for me. ;)

TC

metalinvader

TalonCard said:
I believe it's the one with the viking longship. Unless I've those events mixed up with the Sargasso Pirates comic--I'm an expert as far as the Star Wars Expanded Universe goes; Indy's Expanded Adventures are new territory for me. ;)

TC

Well,There are two Indy stories that involve a Viking longship.The first is like you said,Sargasso Pirates and the second is the German book Indiana Jones and the Ship of the Gods.With the limited amount of people who have read Ship of the Gods compared to the amount of people who have read Sargasso Pirates,It seems most likely that the story used for the journal is Sargasso Pirates.Not to mention that those German stories really do not fit in with the Indy EU continuity.
Cool stuff,Thanks for the info!