Lawrence Kasdan Raiders script

Playmount

WrathofGod said:
This seems a good a place as any to unload my 100th post. Kasdan was by far the best script writer the trilogy had. He supplied some of my all time favorite lines..."lt's not the years honey it's the mileage".:D (y) :gun: :whip: :hat:

I agree. But FYI, that's not a Kasdan line... that's a Harrison Ford ad-lib. In fact that entire love scene - as written - is, in addition to being completely different than the scene that was filmed, was what screenwriters refer to as too "on the nose" and talky. Many screenplays, even great ones like "Raiders" tend to be over-written.

This was Spielberg at his prime, back when he actually cared about making an Indy film a real compelling drama (not just simply an escapist adventure) with characters who were dynamic, unpredictable and exciting to watch... and he was willing to work with his actors to make a scene work off the page and was not afraid to throw out dialogue if it didn't work or fell flat.

I wish we had that Spielberg direct Indy IV. Hell, I wish we had Kasdan and a better story idea to begin with. David Koepp, while a competent screenwriter, is no Lawrence Kasdan. Spielberg should have stuck to his guns and refused to make "a flying saucer movie" as he put it. You can see the exasperation on his face in the behind the scenes on KOTCS when he recounts his endless story talks with Lucas. Notice how he buries his face in his hands as he says, "Fine, fine... whatever George."

Anyway, here is the original scene as written:

Code:
121    INT.  INDY'S CABIN - NIGHT                              121

Indy comes in, takes off his hat, jacket, whip and holster.
       The door which connects this cabin to the next opens and
       Marion appears.  She is carrying a half-full glass of
       liquor, but what you notice is the long, snow-white, high-
       necked nightgown she is wearing.  It is very prim.  Very
       innocent.  And very sexy.  Marion does a slightly embarrassed
       model's turn for Indy.

MARION
                     I have a feeling I'm not the first
                     woman to travel with these pirates.
                     There's a whole wardrobe in there.

INDY
                     It's lovely.

Indy sits on the cot, takes off his boots.  He leans back
       against the wall and rubs his eyes.  Marion sits on the
       bed, leans back against the wall with him and looks down
       at her white nightgown.  She chuckles.

MARION
                     I feel like a virgin bride in this.

INDY
                     That's what you look like.

MARION
                              (takes a drink)
                     There are some things you can recap-
                     ture in this life, but that isn't
                     one of them.

INDY
                     What would you like to recapture?

MARION
                            (after a long pause)
                     Nothing.  That is the way it is.

He watches her closely as she drains her glass and puts
       it down.

INDY
                     Did I ever say I was sorry I burned
                     down your tavern?

She turns so their lips are very close.

MARION
                     No.  Then again, I burned up that
                     plane.

INDY
                     You saved my life.

MARION
                     And you saved mine.

INDY
                     Seems things have worked out kind of
                     even.

MARION
                     That's the way I like them.

INDY
                     Maybe we should consider all past
                     accounts closed.

Marion thinks about this a long time.

MARION
                     No.  Not yet.

INDY
                     What else?

She looks into his eyes.  A smile jumps from her lips to
       his.  He kisses her and they sink slowly to the cot.

WrathofGod

Wow that's awesome Playmount, thanks for setting me straight. I think that's the best post i've read in my short time here. So it was Harrisons line, it's perfect. Spielberg and harrison did a lot of great ad lib on Raiders like shooting the sword wielding Arab. As for IV I don't think either way we would have had much luck, George wanted what George wanted and i don't think any writer was going to pull all that together logically.

Darth Vile

WrathofGod said:
Wow that's awesome Playmount, thanks for setting me straight. I think that's the best post i've read in my short time here. So it was Harrisons line, it's perfect. Spielberg and harrison did a lot of great ad lib on Raiders like shooting the sword wielding Arab. As for IV I don't think either way we would have had much luck, George wanted what George wanted and i don't think any writer was going to pull all that together logically.

I'm not sure that's correct. If anything, Lucas had less influence on KOTCS than he did the others, simply because the movie would never have been made unless Spielberg and Ford wanted to go with it. In essence, Lucas' power of vito was diminished by an increase in Spielberg's/Ford's.

indyjones2131

Raiders Final Shooting Script

Does anyone know where I can find the most accurate/final shooting script for Raiders?

I've seen a thousand online, but these are far from what we get on screen with much more needless dialog.

I ask only because I want to study the structure of the movie in script form.

Thanks a ton!

Robyn

Raiders screenplay

Is there any other drafts of the Raiders screenplay/script available other than the revised third draft?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I know of someone with a Fifth Draft and Dialogue Release Script, though I don't think he's ready to scan or part with them. The Complete Making Of book reviews the First Draft quite well.

Robyn

Moedred said:
I know of someone with a Fifth Draft and Dialogue Release Script, though I don't think he's ready to scan or part with them. The Complete Making Of book reviews the First Draft quite well.

Thanks for the help moedred, and for moving my post for me! Sorry about that!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9482
Found this wonderful article full of interesting documents and images, including this script page
3769.jpg

...slightly different from Ford's script auctioned recently. From different continents?
s900

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Picked up a rarely-seen final draft identical to Ford's for significantly less than $100,000. Did you know that after Marcus arrives at Indy's house, Susan heads upstairs? Now ya do. I promise it will eventually find a home at at theRaider. :)

Dated April 1980 with page revisions on 5/12, 5/19, 6/16, 8/11, and 8/14.
103 pages. Pages added: 14a, 15a, 15b, 15c, 66a, 70a, and 84a.
Scenes omitted: 6, 14-15, 23a, 24-51, 58, 60, 136, and 145-157.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Just a taste for now. For some reason this page is the worst copy, everything else is crisp.

114542_original.jpg

ATMachine

Amazing! I've been wanting to read this version for ages. Thank you, Moedred!

Now I can finally read the version of the opening scene where Indy does make off with the idol. (But loses his hat...)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The mine cart chase looks much like it does in the third draft which has been online since before my time. New to us primarily are the exposition characters whose lines were dropped or given to others.

The scene I found oddest was Sallah's recollection of seeing the replica headpiece. Flashbacks just don't happen in the Lucasverse, it's all forward motion. (Until next year, if the rumors are true...)